1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Warriors @ Rockets 2/5/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Ty Lawson, wall, lilliard and Jennings shouldn't be in the conversation.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you about who's more knowledgeable in basketball. And frankly, it's in bad taste let alone a major fallacy to argue the man.

Lin was at his peak (in his short career thus far) during those "6th or 7th" games, and he hasn't demonstrated he can slide his feet, and he is just getting his feet back from a major knee injury, so I'm not sure what you are getting at. It's not exactly illogical to opine that his defense is not that great considering the pattern of how comfortable the coaching staff has been subbing him out in favor of another player for defensive match ups late in games. And we don't exactly have a shut down perimeter defender on this team either, outside of Parsons when he's up for the task. My eyes tell me Lin is just below the middle of the pack defensively among starting point guards. What he lacks in lateral quickness, he makes up for it with heady play now and then. He's not the worst perimeter defender, but he's no where near as good as you seem think. This doesn't conclude I am being closed minded. I need to see evidence to the contrary in the form of a consistent play out of him defensively to conclude something different.

3. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

You are mistaking me for someone else all together if you think that I've implied anywhere on the board that we're winning in spite of Lin. You need to take off your anti-Lin-Hater goggles off.

4. thiamjin

thiamjin Member

Iman Shumpert is was by far and away the best perimeter defender the Knicks had.
    He still probably is. This was the guy they set on Lebron, DWill, Rose, etc etc. No surprise he snuffed Calderon. -_-

Secondly, Lin never had to guard anyone of those individuals until Linsanity...in a shortened season with little practice time or time to review tape. Like how people say part of the reason behind Linsanity was that people didnt know how to guard him, the same applies vice-versa.

5. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Exactly!

It's called confirmation bias. Some people just assume he's a bad defender and so everything he does it judged on that.

When he does well it's a fluke, and if he messes up it's just natural.

The simple fact is that Lin's defense has improved tremendously. He definitely has stuff to improve on as he's a "risky" defender by sometimes leaving his man open to help out.

But overall, he's solid.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

During the December stretch when we played the Raptors, in games Calderon played over 30 minutes, he averaged 12.1 points.

Lin gave up 18 points against Toronto. Substandard against the average.

And this isn't considering the assists and rebounds Calderon got.

So what's your point?

7. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Yeah I don't understand this idea that Lin is a poor defender. He definitely gives up a lot of easy ones but overall he's a much better than average defender.

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Middle of the pack of starting point guards as an assessment by someone who doesnt seem impressed by Lin is not bad at all. He does need to slide better, though.

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It looks to me that you're just trying to prop up Calderon by tying it with Lin being a poor defender which may or may not be true. Raptors fan?

10. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Only caught the first quarter of the game (ugh) but from the highlights it looked like we converted a couple Lin-Asik PnR's with Lin lobbing the ball up-high, rather than bouncing it at Asik's knees.

Did they do a lot of that? If this works it could solve a lot of the team's problems ie. TO's, no reliable roll man for a PnR game, keeping the perimeter defenders honest and giving our snipers space etc.

11. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I'm a closet Raptor fan at best. Toronto hasn't had much to root for since we traded away T.J. Ford and after Sam Mitchell got fired. Also, I didn't say Lin is a poor defender. I said he's substandard (compared to other starters) right now. Just a tad below average. If anyone has metrics to the contrary, I'd love to take a look at it. My point was never to bash Lin.

I actually grew up in the Bay Area and have been rooting for Lin since I got a peak of him against UConn.

12. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Sorry, i found the machale post press conference, alittle odd like he was embarrassed for some reason. But what the heck we won. celebrate!

13. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

That its not "substandard" to have bad outings against capable pg's. That it happens. That Calderon can can score as any other pg. That getting burned by Calderon does not equate to a certainty that Lin is substandard. But it's all good, though. Let's just enjoy the show. Go Rockets!

14. Rfan

Rfan Member

Oh he's just being a father figure

[​IMG]

15. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

WOW almost had 5 Players have a Double Dub:eek:

16. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

You're right. Mchale doing a hell of an impression of an Asian father.

17. New

It's ridiculous to want to SHUT DOWN any PG...

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

At least he tries...which is more than I can say for some other players on this team. Lin generates turnovers. So even though he's not quick enough to hang with fast guards, his busy hands help the team.

19. New

Defending a PG is always a team defense. Lin fans his opposing PG a lot. You can say that he is not staying in front if him , but that's a good defense.

20. PopItRockets

PopItRockets Member

Awesome game! Everyone played excellent especially Lin (it is February) so is this what we can expect if he starts shooting his 3's better?