1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Jacoby Jones has sure hands now?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it was boom or bust with JJ but at least we had the boom. can't get that from anyone else on our roster.

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I agree.

As a receiver, Jacoby isn't any better with the Ravens then he was with the Texans. He is better with the deep balls because of his speed, but the coaches and the QBs we have at the Texans didn't throw those balls as regularly nor have them thrown as accurately as Flacco and the Ravens. Can't really say he has sure hands when he is usually used as the deep threat 3rd receiver which is something they sort of used him for over here except they rarely threw deep as often.

But his performance on special teams, along with the repeated lack of production and a similar success story with Trindon Holliday, shows that the coverage is the main thing that has held Jacoby back not just him muffing punts. Although he did almost do so in the Super Bowl tonight.

Given the fact that the special teams coach has had issues getting coverage going over 2 seasons and has been with the franchise since its inception, I don't see why he is being given another chance when his biggest successes have been one playoff game where Manning did kick returns, one blocked punt and a few decent returns late in the season.

It is time to clean house, in the special teams unit and I don't mean just the players.

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

he fit the ravens because they have a legit 1 and 2 receivers. rememebr jacoby was or half of a #2 with walter and he played a ton of #1 when dre went down. we relied to heavily on jacoby being effective for our passing game, in baltimore he was the number 3 that would draw nickel guys and could get deep with a BIG arm qb.. he wasnt relied on, the bulk of the passing game went through boldin and smith and they would take shots here and there with jacoby, if a play didnt workout, no problem because they werent asking jacoby to do things like catch a ball in traffic on 3rd &4.. he split return duties with ed reed, and we all know what jacoby could do in the return game, he muffed a couple kick offs today but was able to sit ont hem and take the touchback..

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Whatever you want to believe if jacoby does not catch the ball against the broncos the ravens don't make the superbowl. You can make all the ifs and ands you want, but without him being at that spot at that time the ravens lose.

5. justafriend

justafriend Member

Not that he doesn't deserve a ton of credit, but you can probably make the case that almost anyone on the roster of any Super Bowl team was essential at some point during the playoff run. Jones was a shrewd signing by a great GM, he's definitely a much better fit with Flacco's deep ball in play and most of the hiccups seem to be gone from his returns. I'm not sad he's gone really.

I'm pretty much willing to let go of the muffed punt at this point. Not that it wouldn't have been awesome to win that game, we obviously saw some pretty strong evidence that we would have gotten drubbed by New England anyway. With that said, thank God he didn't win MVP. That would have been an enormous kick in the balls.

And yea, Marciano needs to get the same treatment Jacoby got last year.

6. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Sorry about not reading all the way through the thread, the title got me...........Why hasn't our special teams coach fired yet?

7. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Yeah, that's it.
    Gary Kubiak confers with 'all the negative rednecks' about all personnel moves.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He should NEVER work in the NFL again.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Given he was on the coaching staff from the previous Head coach regime as well, either Kubiak/Smith don't want to fire a buddy plus probably don't have another buddy that has experience coaching special teams available either or he is blackmailing Mr. McNair or Mr. McNair's son.

Either way, fear for Keyshawn Martin or whoever winds up returning kicks because things aren't look well for them.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Because the word accountability doesn't exist in Uncle Bob's dictionary.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I caught that too....Jacoby has always been hit or miss. That could have easily been a drop.

however, he did finally realize less is more. He's not trying to fake guys 10 times before running.

It's tough to gauge how guys will respond to adversity. In jacoby's case, i think the drop last post season helped him focus more.

#71 RV6, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bring in Devin Hester.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Are you suggesting that someone (perhaps a special teams coach) actually coached him up?? :eek:

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Craziest thing I've ever heard.

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

How much is Joe's contract? And how many years are left?

Seriously, I DO NOT understand why he is still employed. I'm trying to look at all perspectives, but it just seems Mr. McNair is content with him?

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Plenty of word leaked that Jacoby was more or less a no-account bum in his time here, didn't work hard during the week or offseason, didn't get the playbook down, and was prone to running wrong or lazy routes.

IMO, he needed the swift quick in the rear to get the message that pure talent wasn't going to get him a real contract. That or he used it as a chip on his shoulder. Either way, it's clear that he went to the Ravens focused and ready to play. I don't believe that was going to happen so long as he was here.

Maybe that's homerism...but I also think that it speaks to the issue we've seen over the years, from McNair reluctantly firing Capers and Casserly, the Carr extension, Richard Smith, Frank Bush, etc. This organization is forgiving and loyal to a literal fault. Jobs aren't on the line. Failure is acceptable. Joe Marciano still has a job. We've watched more than a few players, from scrubs to would be superstars, chronically underachieve and get away with it.

I look at the top organizations in this league, and they don't put up with slackers. You get your act together or pack your bags. Patriots don't put up with loafing. Ravens lockerroom doesn't tolerate it. But the Texans organization keeps trotting out lines about "sticking with our guys" or not wanting to part with someone we've invested so much time in.

Not trying to be pessimistic about this, but I think it's the reality and the biggest thing that's held us back over the years. Being a Nice Guy organization since day one.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^^^ Should the locker room decide, then, not the management? :confused:

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree. Because I think the LOCKER ROOM
    had as much to do with Jacoby's turnaround as anything.
    The Coaching

Rocket River

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's all aspects. Owner down to vets. Not one or the other. It's why a team like the Bills never gets out of mediocrity. Half dead absentee owner, so every job in the front office is safe. Rookies like Marcell Darius come in and put in half effort and don't get called out in the locker room, so they keep on mailing it in. FA like Mario signs for huge money and openly loafs to the point that he draws national attention to it. No one: coaches, players, or GM was willing to call him out internally. That's why the Bills keep losing year after year.

The Texans have a culture of accepting less than excellence. Hell, they'll accept and tolerate failure and minimal effort. As a pro franchise, from ownership to front office to coaching staff to locker room - we're a kids soccer team handing out a trophy to every child on the team.

1 person likes this.
  20. SK34

SK34 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rtiv-Jx-F5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOoWPAwBL7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMbOAHZjwdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big plays after big plays..