1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Kinds of Inquiries?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cbk41, Feb 3, 2013.

1. cbk41

cbk41 Member

We spend a lot more time talking strictly about trades from the Rocket's FO perspective, but what kinds of inquires and in what capacity does CF think other teams are making about our own guys on the roster?

I'd think pretty much anyone other than Harden and Lin are available for discussion, but everyone has their price. We've got a good amount of young talented bigs that don't get enough rotation time. I don't believe we have any potential solutions on our team to solve anyone's woes for more than season, though (outside of Asik).

Asik, whom I'd hate to see leave, could be an inside presence for just about anyone in the league. Delfino could provide some outside shooting and secondary/tertiary ball handling for a playoff team in need. Parsons is showing he can be a decent second option (on the right time) and be an all around positive with flashes of elite defense,with plenty of upside. Patterson's stock is rising as he is showing a little more toughness and tenacity, and proved that his midrange is back and can stretch it from 3 if need be. Still young. Smith is more of a project, but could flourish and be a real beast around the basket. You don't see too many big men talented around the basket, yet posses amazing athleticism for the position.

Please merge in the random trade idea thread is deemed appropriate.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Asik is probably our 2nd best player right now. Other than Harden, I can't think of a player whose absence would adversely affect our success more. I'm sure there are a lot of inquiries being made about Asik, but I think he's probably close to untouchable at this point.

Lin, on the other hand, might be untouchable, but it wouldn't be for basketball reasons. It would be for business reasons. Personally I'd move him for the right offer without any regret.

So if we establish that Harden and Asik aren't going anywhere, and that we don't want to piss off all of China, so Lin's not going anywhere, that leaves us with inquiries about these guys (in order):

Parsons (by a mile over everyone else below)
    D-mo
    Delfino
    T.jones
    Greg smith
    Pat
    Morris
    Douglas

#2 Aruba77, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Clutchfans posters tend to focus on the downside of the players on our roster. I mean, how many times have you seen someone post that "no other team would ever want _____, he has no trade value'?

I think Parsons has a lot of value around the league. I think Patterson, Jones, Morris, and Motiejunasa all have moderate value. Delfino has some value (now), as does Asik but his contract set up makes a move unlikely. I would be willing to move Lin in the right deal, but I understand that is downright inconceivable for some reason. A lot of teams would be willing to trade a rotation player for one of those guys, but it would be up to our front office to find the trade that would be valuable in our current environment.

#3 napalm06, Feb 3, 2013
  4. cdastros

cdastros Member

Parsons is the player other teams want the most outside of the rockets untouchables.

5. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

Parsons has tremendous trade value - mostly because he's so cheap and so useful to teams who need salary cap help.

6. valorita

valorita Member

Basically morey's policy is that if you can upgrade the team, anyone sans harden is available.

7. jocar

jocar Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...his-season-that-hes-better-than-no-38-overall

8. CertifiedTroll

Ryan Bowen, hands down has the most value.

9. New

Your perception on Lin's influence in China might not be right. Lin is American and he is Taiwanese... He is not Yao. I do not see why the Chinese want to make a big deal about him. Also why should they care if Lin is playing Houston...

10. Aruba77

I am aware that Lin is American and of Taiwanese decent. But if you don't think he's incredibly popular in China, as are the rockets, you're wrong.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd imagine Delfino has fairly high trade value for us right now.

He's on a super good contract (TEAM option for next year at a cap friendly sum); and is shooting really well as a veteran.

A team looking to win this season, and in need of 3 point shooting, could benefit from Delfino.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Inquiries? Probably the unexpected...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LwkYnj7z4-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

True, but we need him to make the playoffs. Unless we're replacing him with a better player.

14. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Exactly, don't underestimate the power of an expiring contract (especially with the new CBA rules)

I don't want to see him go as he is our X factor player but I would not be surprised at all if Morey moves him to a contender or ravishes a team struggling to get under the cap limit in true Morey style

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, Sergio Llull?

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well Taiwan is sort of a territory of china. But I agree he doesn't have the same appeal as Yao had, not even close

17. liunatic

liunatic Member

Don't ever say that Taiwan is sort of a territory of China. You will offend a lot of Taiwanese people. Gets into some nasty politics...

18. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

But it is...

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see Asik as anywhere near untouchable. Because bigs like him are still available. There's a reason why only the Rockets even offered him 8mil/yr even when everyone felt there's good odds of Chicago not matching. If you do your scouting, you can find someone like Asik. For example, perhaps a max offer for Pekovic(McHale's last draft pick IIRC) in the offseason.

I think this is more due to clutchfans overrating the value of draft picks at the trade deadline. Morey is very good at making moves at the trade deadline to maximize the value of decent NBA players, at a time when teams are looking to push for the playoffs/championships and the draft is the last thing on their minds.

20. Aruba77

Love Pek, but he's not the rebounder or defender Asik is. Obviously he's vastly superior to Asik offensively. I'd rather have Asik at $8 mil than Pek at double that. But I'd love to take a run at Pek in free agency. I don't think you move Asik unless you are getting another center of greater or equal value who's locked up long-term, and there's no guarantee we could outbid other teams for Pek anyway. I do think Pek is close to a max player though.

#20 Aruba77, Feb 3, 2013