1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 1, 2007.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

<iframe width="620" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Atfc4NOxRco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I be diggin dis mahn.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zlt9QmJFEz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Yeah, kid... If one can just part the curtains of the grungy 90's you find some good things happening. Your example of NMH and their label mates at Elephant 6 is the perfect example and perhaps a precursor to Bright Eyes, The Decemberist, Fleet Foxes, etc for us on the States side of the pond... Also we can be glad that in the tail end of the 90's that the Flaming Lips delivered 'The Soft Bulletin'.

On the Brit side there was Shoe gaze and i know there are many here who worship My Bloody Valentine; or for me, Lush.... The 90's were ok. There are always good new bands out there. Even now - maybe especially now.

4. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Ghostface Killah.....Wu-Tang Ninja!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XwkdpAx7Nd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

King Tubby - Meets Scientist at Dub Station
    Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century
    Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
    Radiohead - The King of Limbs

6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I was jamming those early Lush EPs just last week. So good.

Sarah Records/C86 for me. All Day. Every day.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i still listen to gala and spooky quite a bit. and cocteau twins...wasnt that big a fan of them in the late 80's/early 90's, but as ive gotten older they have become one of my all-time favorite bands. i was listening to their collaboration with harold budd earlier this week...the moon and the melodies. some of their most beautiful work.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sf9jk6qk6TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

are you or win familiar with pale saints? the female singer was the original singer in lush. i saw them open for ride at numbers in summer of 92. had never heard of them at the time, but they were really, really good.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ay9oWB3xdbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

my new years resolution was to start taking blues/jazz piano lessons...my teacher turned me onto this dude - some crazy stuff!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EstPgi4eMe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

9. Manny Ramirez

jo mama,

Cecil Taylor is tremendous - get "Unit Structures" as fast as you can and then work from there! He is part of the holy trinity of free jazz along with Coltrane (the later years obviously) and Ornette Coleman. If you can get into Cecil, you'll probably like Paul Bley (the last pianist to play with Ornette Coleman) and Sun Ra.

1 person likes this.
  10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Moon & the Melodies!

Cocteau Twins were always hit or miss for me. When they got it right, though (TMTM), it was incredible. I always thought Slowdive got the influence for their entire discography from that album alone. Amazing stuff. Very 70s Eno/Fripp-esque.

I'm vaguely familiar with Pale Saints. I always saw the name and heard some songs here and there... but never caught on with me. Didn't know about the Lush relationship, though!

How were Ride live? I never knew if they were the type of band that were able to replicate what they did in the studio to a live setting. I mean, the drums in "Nowhere" alone... killer.

11. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

Man, this thread is full of great tracks. Some quality music to be found here. Thanks and much respect

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

oh no, now you did it. you have proven that you have no mind of your own and are a hipster douche. there is this rehabilitation center in west virginia, it's motto is "recoil not reverb."
    www.beatthelipbigouttayaboy.com

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

that was a loooong time ago, but i remember them being pretty rockin' as far as shoegazer bands go. that drummer was great! he got compared to keith moon alot, which makes sense. that was on the tour for 'going blank again', but 'nowhere' is definitely the superior album. leaving the show there were a bunch of giant posters of that album cover in the lobby and i asked the door guy if i could take one...still got it!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xcyfPXF770U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Listening to the second single from the new Album Leaf/Sun Kil Moon collaboration entitled "Caroline". Such a beautiful track. I'm expecting big things from this album.

15. Manny Ramirez

Prince Far I - Voice of Thunder
    Archie Shepp - Ballads For Trane

16. thegary

songs with titles beginning with the letter A

17. thegary

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

King Khan. Just got my tickets for the show at Fitz's.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YndfhwNMniI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. ReverseBjorn

ReverseBjorn Member

Haha, i find this to be extremely funny actually. Good one :grin: