1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook Envy Makes You Miserable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's why "Jontro Brah" had no results when I searched you on FB. :(

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Last year or so, after travelling quite a bit and meeting lots of people I came to a realization. You're not supposed to keep in constant contact with every person you meet/share experiences with in life.

It cheapens the overall connection that you have/had with that person.

Deleted my Facebook last summer(ish) and haven't thought about it ever since.

As an aside, it also helps to fuel your real life interactions with people because:

1) they can't facebook stalk every detail about you before spending time with you
    2) you actually have to get to know each other
    3) it helps pick up chicks (srs)
    4) avoid "fb drama"

Getting rid of all social networking and rarely texting, while keeping real life interactions in person/over the phone (when no other choice) make life a lot better.

1 person likes this.
  3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Elaborate on point 3. If anything, I think it does the opposite... At least for college girls.

If a guy doesn't have a facebook girls in their crazy minds think either we are weird or sketchy. Not to mention it can help you get a scouting report on a girl by seeing what she's like, what she does like, did she used to be fat, how hot are her friends, etc...

4. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I would think it's people who live in the same area they grew up in and know everyone on their facebook lives in the same area or city that would most likely not want facebook because you could learn something new when you run into someone. But, it's those who moved away that don't have facebook.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Very true. In college, if the girl/guy you are interested in doesn't have a facebook, that's a HUGE red flag

6. SK34

SK34 Member

That is why you keep a profile but you do not use it much. Use it, once in a blue moon. I usually go off on Facebook post whenever I'm posting bout the Texans game. I did used to post a lot from time to time, Realized it was annoying so I stopped.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Not at all. If you're decently attractive, no one cares.

Nearly every chick I have picked up in the past 8 months or so has been super intrigued by why I don't have a Facebook. In a really lame way, I think it adds some mysteriousness factor, at least to them.

Then they always end up asking me "why?" To which I can tell some life stories/experiences, or go on a "deep" tangent about how people don't interact with other people nowadays as well as generations past. I make some comments about eye contact, body language, touch, etc...

Next thing you know the chick is usually eating out of the palm of my hand. Additionally, it sets the mood for her to expect those things and know that I'm direct and not trying to beat around the bush. There's gonna be strong eye contact/touch and all that shizz because that leads to an aesthetically pleasant conversation. And it is a an obvious sign i'm not some little b**** who doesn't know how to talk to girls. It's all about taking control of the situation and shifting it to where you want it to go.

Furthermore, all these talking points show that you don't necessarily feel the need to always conform to society. That you know how to hold a proper conversation. And that you can be fun in real life and not just behind a computer screen/phone.

As for the other points:

- The whole reason behind going on a date(s) is to find out what the girl is like, what her interests are, etc...
    - What do I care if she used to be fat if she's hot now :confused:
    - If I hang out with her enough I can meet her friends and decide for myself if they are hot (not sure why this is even a point)

Also, the friends thing brings up a good point. Less interaction with a chick's circle of friends is a good thing, not a bad thing. I don't want them all to be able to facebook stalk me and report every random detail to her. Hanging out with them in a group with her is fine because when the night is over I wont have to see them for a while.

And your point on "scouting reports" is basically my entire premise on why social interaction nowadays is so f'd up. Hence the reason so many people don't actually understand what to do on dates.

#87 DudeWah, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. SacTown

SacTown Member

I do affiliate marketing for fun. I'm a software consultant for a large laboratory informatics software vendor whom is Global. I consult 50% of the time or just take projects that interest me and run my own show with affiliate marketing in my free time.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

That's exactly right. Wholesome people understand this, others make themselves miserable by trying to latch on and hold onto their high school and college acquaintances like it's some sort of social norm to do so.

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

If you moved away from somewhere, why would you care what all the people back there are doing? Living in the past?

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

It's more of if i have a facebook and live around these people, why do i want to knwo everything they are up to if i run into them all the time anyway...if you moved away..you can just log in now and then to see how people are doing...etc..

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol what's the big deal? You're already on the Internet. Facebook is no different than going to a message board and posting your thoughts with strangers. Is Pinterest any different than Facebook? :confused:

So you got negative comments when posting pictures. Big deal. Guess what bro, that's what happens when you put something up for everyone to see and comment on. You seem like you took Facebook too seriously. I look at it as something else on the Internet I can use to kill time like music, YouTube, sports and p*rn.

1 person likes this.
  13. SacTown

SacTown Member

So you're not very successful then. Why would you want to "kill" time? You only have so much of it. I don't understand. :confused:

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Maybe he's so successful he can 'kill' as much time as he wishes.

IMO, anyone that is "suspicious" of someone who doesn't facebook, or thinks it is a red flag, is wearing a red flag of their own in my book.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

easy there.

plot twist:
    maybe he is more 'successful' than you because he has more time? perhaps he already made it while you are still slaving? also your definition of 'success' etc.

facebook is good as an address book old friends directory. Recently got in touch with one of my old friends even though he was my fb friend from the beginning. A reconnection if you will. Most certainly if not for facebook I would have probably lost touch with him. Facebook is annoying sure but it does have its value on some level. People going out of their way to hate on it are just as weird. Oh so you don't have a facebook? good !

On the opposite side I have this one girl on facebook I used to work with a long time ago. She is always posting how she got fired, or cops came, flat tire.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Posting 25 times a day on facebook . . . . . too much
    Posting 25 times a day on Clutchfans . . . . DaDakota

:D I wonder what DaDakota's facebook page must look like. . . .

Rocket River

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I think there's a huge difference. Facebook is laden with menial small talk and casual attempts at seeking attention.

Whereas posting on a message board throughout the day provides a good medium for discourse with people who you actually enjoy conversing with.

Additionally, it brings the lulz a lot of time and certain internet memes/jokes are funny as hell in real life and can (key word) improve your overall conversation skills.

Referencing facebook just makes you look like an idiot.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Which is worse? Menial small talk on FB or talking about menial small talk on a basketball BBS?

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Don't you think DaDakota made another account? or can't he?

20. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

is dada banned forever?