1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Royce White's battle with Rockets over anxiety disorder could cost him NBA career

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by azoghbi, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

if you get on his bad side? what ever happened to reporting the truth with no personal bias or vendetta as a writer

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He might have been forthcoming about his issues, but he sure as hell wasn't forthcoming about any of his idiotic demands. Even after being drafted and during negotiations he could of asked the Rockets for all the accommodations he wanted and that if they weren't met he wouldn't play. Instead he signed his contract, played in Vegas, then turned into a Diva.

That's not being forthcoming.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

a new girl you are dating will take you she's high maintenance, but might not tell you you might have to take out 7 mortgages to cover her expenses.
    A smart man when he hears the word "high maintenance" will stay clear, not try to be kaptin save a ho.
    THE ROCKETS JUST TRIED TO SAVE A HO AND ARE REAPING THE REWARDS

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

OK, we got it. You don't care to understand how the franchise works and therefore are content to spout ignorance. So, why don't you tell us how a real NBA front office, the Grizzlies for example, would handle the current Royce White situation?

In fact, lets not stop there, why don't you rally us all to support you as the new Rockets GM. You shouldn't have any problem securing the job as the current GM is a joke and the owner is clearly unsatisfied, riiiight??

And while we're here I never stated criteria for your fandom. I clearly asked you if you'd been a fan of THIS club long enough to have perspective and context on D-League assignments. Seeing as how you've stated you you couldn't care less about understanding the franchise no one gives a rat's ass about your uneducated, random opinion about Royce White and his D-League assignment.

5. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

i have been a fan of the rockets since hakeem day, franchise, yao, t-mac etc
    i have been patiently waiting since they let hakeem go over a few million dollars. the only man who helped the city of houston get its only natiional championship in the top 3 sports (nba, mlb, nfl)

If the memphis grizzlies had drafted Royce, they should have had a protocol in place before drafting him.
    As you make your bed, so shall you lie.
    Making excuses for an incompetent organization who has done nothing to deserve all these explanations and excuses is spouting ignorance.

NotInMyHouse, well the the incompetence is occuring in your house, and all you are doing about it is making excuses

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I agree with you 100%... Btw, what protocol are you talking about? Give me specifics? Royce has given us nothing in this matter, I thought maybe you could shed light on this whole affair...

Here's what's comical, you put the burden on the organization to have a protocol in place before they draft Royce, but no burden on Royce to check if one is in place before he signs a legally binding contract? Interesting... You know that street that goes both ways? You should go down it once and a while. Royce was not as "forthcoming" as you may believe he was...

7. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

I agree with you, the blame lies on both sides.
    If you read my posts, you will see that.
    But it seems most people are flaming Royce, but the blame falls on both parties.
    However the Rockets were the ones losing money, well they were, until they decided to suspend. Which any lawyer worth his salt will be able to recover that money in court.
    Mental issue is a very touchy subject.
    Anyone can fake a mental illness, its very hard to prove or disprove unless a physical injury which can be quashed with a thorough medical exam

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I was a big big advocate of Royce in the beginning. I was happy to follow him on Twitter and I even flamed some of the a**holes who he would RT. What bothers me about him, and a big reason why I no longer support him is that he has turned this into a drama queen beauty pageant for himself. He RTs the insane posters and the posters who blindly follow him. He pays no attention to the posters who actually want to engage him in discourse and the ones who really want what's best for both Houston and Royce. He goes on OTL and says the D-League was a demotion for his demands for protocol. Right, like players like Jeremy Lin, Aaron Brooks, and Pat Pat have never spent time in the D-League. Get over yourself. Every Rocket goes through the D-League time to time.

Fine, maybe it's not about the d-league, maybe he really wants a protocol in place. What are the specifics of said protocol? Does he really want a doctor to have ultimate control on issues like D-League assignments and playing time? That's what the internet has turned up because he can't take the 5 minutes it takes to make a blog and talk about some real issues. Sure, he can spend hours of his day to RT posts, but he can't go on BlogSpot and make a post about what he's really dealing with over there. The truth is, if he was an advocate of mental health a blog would be an amazing resource for him to not only get his message out there, it would be an unfiltered message that's greater than 160 characters. Tons of his twitter followers have said something like that to him, but he RTs the ones that get him attention and sympathy. Drama queen.

The saddest part in all this is that the NBPA doesn't even back him here. He can say they do, but that's a bold faced lie. If they actually thought he was in the right here, the NBA would have a lawsuit so big their head would spin. The NBPA is waiting for the situation to resolve itself.

At the end of the day I fall upon something I said in another thread. Jackie Robinson was a pioneer for bringing an under-represented minority in sports into the forefront. He helped usher in an era of equality and understanding in sports that cannot be matched. He didn't do this by sitting on his ass on twitter, he didn't do this by b****ing about protocol and then giving no specifics on the matter, he didn't do this by any other means than playing. Was his work environment safe? Hell no. He got death threats, he was spat on, he was treated like he was less of an athlete than players he was twice as talented as. He fought threw it. He played. That's it. Royce represents an under-represented minority in sports and instead of breaking the stereotypes associated with said minority he proceeds to embody them. Great, awesome work to bring about education and advocacy for mental health Dr. White. Keep up the amazing work!

1 person likes this.
  9. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

being in the public eye of the nba is tough.
    i still like royce and am hopeful.
    not hopeful he will "give in", but hopeful he can find someone he trusts to advise him, and find a mutually beneficial solution that can get him rolling smoothly. its been a rough ride so far.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Woj isn't a good sportswriter. He's like Ric Bucher's mirror image.

Woj gets all the breaking news but pays for this through agenda based articles. On his own he's not taking home an award for prose any time soon.

Bucher allows himself to be a mouthpiece to gain access to players off the court so he can peer into their family/social lives. He's pretty clueless but I don't think he even cares. I think he knows his work for the SI magazine is where he gets the kudos and big paycheck.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

That should've been the ESPN magazine, not SI.

12. Metta

Metta Member

Help, I'm playing NBA 2k13 and im trying to sub Royce in... How do I get him to put down his iPhone, stand up from his couch and get him into the awaiting town-car which will take then him to the Toyota Center?

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-right-R1-R2-Select+Start isn't working.

13. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

press the #bewell button, worked for me

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The battery driving his electric trolling motor is running down, his jon boat has sprung a leak, and you ain't helpin' him, bobrek. ;-)-

15. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

get off his middle nut:grin:

16. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Woj is great. Very interesting story. I haven't been paying careful attention so this is the first confirmation that this is about his lack of playing time.

17. Trackball

Trackball Member

I am autistic--diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 1994, at the age of 11. I'm 30 now.

You know what really calms the nerves?

Money.

For five thousand dollars, I would gladly let myself knowingly get stung by a bee.

But Royce doesn't realize that. He could get on a plane and bounce a ball on wood for millions of dollars, but he won't.

How much was his family counting on that money he could have gotten?

Think. He's screwing over far more than just himself.

He's burning down the house to kill a rat.

Now, people who actually WANT to live as an inspiration to others with mental illnesses won't get the chance he was handed. And it's all thanks to his being a jackass.

I really wanted to root for Royce White.

But once he started all this, I decided he can go **** himself.

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, Royce--you entitled jerk.

18. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

#bewell

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't know if you're serious, but you seem nothing like a friend of mine who has Asperger's. Having a conversation with him is much more difficult, although I haven't had a convo with you or anything.

For the record, I don't think Royce has a real mental illness... it's just greed and laziness.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You mean, like what McHale did with Chandler Parsons?

And PATRICK BEVERLY out of nowhere?

By the way, what are you DEBATING about?

SPECIFICALLY? Whats your argument here? What are your talking points? And what are you trying to get accomplished?