1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 1/11/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2013.

1. art

art Member

if anything, chandler and james got the team back in it. toney did his thing, but mchale left him out there too long. delfino shouldnt have been in

2. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

No. If TD is playing really well, better than Lin, you keep him out there.

3. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

Im just....in awe really.

Today, one of Lin's best games running the point and we still got folks trashing him?
    Good defense on Rondo, no turnovers, steals, got guys open looks that were unfortunately bricked is not enough? You'd think he was a #1 draft pick, max contract player who got a team built around him by the way his performances are nitpicked, good performances at that.

lol crazy

4. MT1417

MT1417 Member

Let's not backtrack to the older games again, I didn't agree with most of the coaching decisions then to keep Lin on the bench in the 4th either. But in the recent games, McHale's been trusting Lin a lot with the minutes he's getting. I would say he has plenty of opportunities to show what he can do to impact the games.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Lin will never be consistent or be a star. I actually believe that he's still really inexperienced and needs more time to be one. He's just not good enough yet for the coaching staff to put him in games when we are going on a run without him. But this is not same as saying that he's so bad that we went on a run without him.

5. raskol

No, that's what coaches do! You put players in the right positions to gain an edge on the other team, i.e., getting players rest at the right time, bringing in fresh legs when needed, keeping a run going or injecting more energy, etc.
    I thought McHale tried to ride Lin too long in the first as well. Lin got a decent run going early and instead of sitting him at the 7,8 minute mark in the 1st quarter, he stayed with him a bit too long, I thought.

6. itachen

itachen Member

Lin had a great game, I don't see any reason how he should've been part of the blame for the loss tonight. Great D, effort, decision making, and shooting.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

It's just not that big of a deal like Lin fans make it out to be. Team goes on a run big run when Lin sits down, the coach decides to ride them till the end. Simple as that.

TD's job isn't to create, Harden is able to help with that. He just needs to hit some 3s, spread the floor, and play some defense.

8. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

just read the espn reax on this game...garnett and pierce went 16-26 from the field...our defense could have been better, but when the other teams two stars go 16-26...its tough to win

9. pnr

pnr Member

Seriously. I just don't get it.

10. muas2010

muas2010 Member

If Morey is smart.....he needs to find a good post up player. It's game like this and the last, when shots aren't falling, that you need someone to hammer it down to get this jazzed up. And wha't up with Lin only taking 9 shots? Seriously, he needs to consistently take at least 10-15 shots on a nightly basis...he has to step up and take the role of being the Rocket's second option.

11. SirKen

SirKen Member

This whole LOF/LOH debate happens because a group thinks Lin is the second coming of Christ and another group just doesn't respect his game.

I personally think he should be the #2 scoring option behind Harden and at nights like this, he should be allowed to play his game. You would think that people would respect him more after all his 4th Q performances (even in games in which he played absolutely terrible up until that point).

It's sad really.

12. New

Actually you just proved his point to some extent. TD at LONG stretch kills you.:grin:

I do not agree with that. I'd rather say when TD is on the court with Harden, we are very Harden-dependent in the offense. They shut down Harden, they shut down the offense.

The nice thing I like about TD is that he is so fearless!!! The bad thing I do not like about him is that sometimes he is fearless of making dumb plays!

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Lin had a good game. I just find it stupid that some fans are outrage because he sat out when the team made a big run and decide to stay with the hot hand.

1 person likes this.
  14. raskol

Point taken. Agreed.
    However, I would've injected fresher legs and brought back the starters at the timeout call. Not because of Lin but because it felt like the righ time. Fresh legs are such an important part of a coach's duty.

15. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

When the Boston starters came back in, that's when they gained their lead again. Definitely left them out there too long. can't rely on the 3 point shot all the time. This is one of those games where it is an example of that. Need to run more plays and ball can't be in harden's hands all the time, too predictable. Lin needs to have it too to make something happen. Overall tho, Boston also played really great defense. I hope the team learns from this because that's what will happen in the playoffs. We would get destroyed lol.

Frustrating game tho! But was a great game to watch.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Huh? Harden gets criticism, honestly more than he deserves. While Lin gets heavily criticized, he also tends to get more praise than he deserves. The spotlight is on him. Look at it this way, Lin is our 4th best starter, yet had Chandler (a superior player) stayed on the bench during a Rockets run, no one would say much.

17. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

i thought lin played great D on Rondo and should have been put back in as soon as rondo came back...but hindsights 20-20...if mchale had brought him in after the timeout and we lose...then people would be talking about "firing mcfail" for not going with the hot hand! coaches just cant win!

18. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The Rockets went on a 20-9 run with TD at PG turning a 13 point deficit into a 2 point deficit in the 4th before the Celtics called timeout and re-took control of the game. That's why.

Mr. First Half (Lin) wasn't getting it done in the 3rd (Rockets were down 13 with Lin) and he sure didn't get it done when he re-entered the game in the 4th (Celtics increased their lead).

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Exactly! It's not a bad decision, it's just one of those understandable judgement calls.

20. New

I am not saying we should substitute Lin in. I just hope Mchale's time-out is as effective as Rivers...

Mchale does not have the same assets as Rivers has though... Maybe I am asking too much...