1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BAMA vs. A&M (who would win if there was a rematch)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SK34, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

I am not a Bama fan but I think they are the best team in College Football, and most probably will be next year.

I am going to be transferring to A&M hopefully.

So I was talking to a friend who goes to A&M and like a aggie fan they have been saying that Aggies can beat Bama more than Bama can beat the Aggies. I totally disagree with that. I think 7 out of 10 games, Bama would definitely defeat the Aggies (this year teams)

The reason is: SABAN IS HELL OF A COACH. They changed their defense against Notre Dame because they also had a mobile qb. (like manziel, just not as good or anywhere near that). Instead of rushing 4, they rushed 5 or more each time.

So who would win more and why?

2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I think Bama wins about 6 or 7 out of 10

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While Saben is a great coach and they have some great players, Manziel can pick that 2ndary apart. That is Bama's weekness. While they looked awesome in the ND game and are still good so it's really hard to say that is a weekness but the fact is if you are to beat Bama you either have to be tougher (which is very hard task) or have a QB, O-Line and some recievers with decent speed and good hands. A&M has the later.

That said...Lacy was playing hurt vs A&M and he was healthy vs ND. If Lacy is healthy, then yes Bama wins more than 50% of the time.

4. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Bama had more total yards than A&M. Take away that first quarter and Bama dominated that game. Also, Bama drives were stopped twice in Aggie territory during the 4th quarter by a Yeldon fumble and Aj Mccarron int on the goal line.

But who cares? The same two teams won't face each other. Both will be losing key players on the line but I beleive that Bama would win if they had a rematch. Saban doesn't lose to the same coach twice in a row.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd lean Bama too but don't forget -- TAMU beat em' at home (Bama's home)...

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Notre Dame won Monday if you don't count 5 of Bama's 6 scores.

7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

My point was Bama didn't figure out Johnny Football until the 2nd quarter and once they did he was contained. That is why I believe that Bama would win the rematch.

8. Major

Major Member

Nonsense. In that 14-0 2nd quarter that Alabama "dominated", A&M had two possessions. In one, they drove 60+ yards and turned the ball over on a failed 4th down. In the other, they got the ball with 19 seconds left and simply downed the ball to go into half. In the 2nd half, Alabama outscored A&M by a score of 10-9, and that included a missed FG by A&M.

Alabama never figured out A&M in the 1st half, and A&M held their own in the 2nd half.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They'd probably have to figure him out again. I saw more option against OU than I've seen all year.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have no skin in the game, but the way Bama played Monday night, I don't think anyone could have beaten them.

That being said, the way A&M looked against OU, I can't believe they aren't the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country right now.

It would be a helluva game. If there were a playoff similar to the way FCS does it, I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have met in the championship game (assuming they were in opposite brackets).

11. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

If saban has a month to prepare his team, he can beat just about anyone. His preparation, attention to detail, and leadership are second to none.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't want to beat a dead horse but UT would have beaten them if Colt didn't get hurt. Hell a freshmen scrub in Garrett almost beat them himself.

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Game would have been different. Not neccessarily a UT victory.

14. TheresTheDagger

Lacy was not healthy in the ND game.

15. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yea, that horse is dead. No one knows how a game will turn out with different players playing. Nothing but a guess. And no one knows how a rematch between A&M and Bama would turn out, but I suspect it would be damn entertaining. A&M and Bama do play each other next season in Collage Station, and I'm already looking forward to it.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I made the mistake of listening to a few seconds of some SEC fanboy host on sports radio on Sirius talking about this game. He commented on what a blowout it was and how they controled it from the beginning, not once mentioning McCoy's injury or the fact that UT had the ball down a score in the 4th.

The play that killed them in that game, other than the McCoy injury, was the god-awful call that led to the pick-6 at the end of the first half.

17. Major

Major Member

Throughout his career, this has not necessarily been true. His record in season openers, bowl games, and post-bye weeks is consistently lower than his overall records. in 2011, his one loss in the "game of the century" was the week after a bye. People said the same thing about Pete Carroll, until Texas beat him. They also said they same about Big Game Bob Stoops, until he stopped winning those games. It's one of those things that gets a life of it's own, but it's not really supported by the data. He wins a lot of "big games" because he wins a lot of games in general.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Dude, Bama just won the championship. Do you really need to circlejerk them more?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're comparing Saban's regular season records and bowl games minus 2 games and comparing that data to what he's done in certain circumstances?

Okay, so Saban's performance A vs. Saban's performance B... it makes more sense to me to compare those 2 data sets to all other coaches in the same situation then. For all I know every single coach performs worse in that situation and for all I know Saban STILL performs better than his peers in those situations.

Go show me that data, let me know when it's done.

Theoretically, let's say...

Saban in regular season = 80% wins
    Saban in carefully selected circumstances = 50% win

All other coaches in regular season = 40% wins
    All other coaches in carefully selected circumstances = 26%

Thus, Saban is still superhuman.

20. Major

Major Member

The claim was:

If saban has a month to prepare his team, he can beat just about anyone.

The reality is that he has had a month to prepare numerous times, and has lost many of those games. So it's simply not true. He certainly beats a lot of them - but he also beats a lot of teams on one week's preparation. There's no evidence that he does any better with lots of time.

The most recent memorable case was when Alabama made their first-ever BCS game and roundly got their asses kicked by a much better prepared Utah team.