1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd All-Star Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 3, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Huh? I'm not mad and wouldn't even be frustrated if he gets in. I just think the backlash and pressure put on him is far worst than him getting to play some meaningless exhibition minutes.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

First of all, you're not Jeremy Lin. So I doubt you can predict how he would feel about a hypothetical situation. And second, you honestly believe that someone who experience Linsanity in NY would be flustered by one exhibition game that people will likely forget two days after the fact?

Again, I don't see why you care so much. Let the chips fall where they may and so be it.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't know I'm not Jeremy Lin so can't predict if he will get flustered or not by the increase in hostile arenas, the negative media, or his peers trying to show him up. I can say it's probably better to not have the extra weight added though.

4. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well I think it's just all our own personalities showing through I guess.
    For some folks here, if they get an All Star invite and feel they don't deserve it, they'll turn it down.
    If I were Lin (which I know I'm not, so don't remind me), I'll be grateful and play hard and show that I belong with the other All Stars by giving a great performance. And we all know when Lin is motivated to be great, he can be.

But anyway, he's not getting in, so it's a moot point.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Lin seems to me to be the honest type. Like he had no issues with saying that he has been exposed this season or that he's playing terrible. I would believe that he would decline the invite honestly if voted in but won't because Stern doesn't allow it.

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I'm not sure how to respond to YOU, since you haven't exhibited the comprehension and adult reasoning required to differentiate between the concepts of a player who merely receives votes and one who is actually voted onto the team. I think you're the one who has it twisted. Since McGrady didn't make the team that year and merely received votes, why are you even mentioning him? Do you know a false equivalency is? Is English your first language? Not trying to sound rude: These are legitimate questions.

Oh never mind, I understand what you are now. Yeah, no, you nailed it. Clearly all criticism of Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin is founded in racism. You sure nailed it there. :rolleyes:

7. Jedster

Jedster Member

I understand what you're saying, but I actually don't believe many NBA players think they are inferior to anyone else.

You're working under the idea that Lin actually feels like other players are better than him. And that his honesty would make him feel bad about accepting the invite over others.

But what if...Lin actually believes he is pretty darn good?
    I say that because if you watch him play, he's fearless most of the time, going hard on D against Kobe, Lebron and other lesser stars. If he's passive, it's usually because he's trying to defer, and probably not because he's intimidated.
    That's a mindset of someone who believes in himself and his abilities on the court.
    If so, then his conscience would not cause him to turn down the all star invite, David Stern fine aside.

8. Jedster

Jedster Member

Thanks for your confession. I have no further questions.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

There is another angle to this, too. If Lin is voted to the team while not actually deserving it, and at the expense of another player who does, then it would foster the perception that Jeremy Lin is only valuable inasmuch as his ethnicity can carry him: a sort of token Asian to be trotted out every all-star game to appease international voters despite being vastly outclassed by his peers. This would be a terrible outcome, to be honest. I feel Lin has so much more to offer the Rockets in the future and to the game of basketball at large, and nothing would be a bigger setback to that cause than to elevate him to all-star status before he's ready.

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

You can acknowledge someone else is having a better season than you without thinking you're inferior to them.

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I take it by this that you're just going to duck my questions, and you're actually admitting that you don't understand the difference between just getting votes and actually being on the team? You feel your job is done already: You called a poster who has doubts about Jeremy Lin's all star qualifications an abject racist. Yeah, no. Congratulations, dude. Way to really elevate the level of discourse around here and make other 2012 registrants proud.

12. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Don't worry. Jeremy Lin is not as mentally weak as you are.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Personal attack from a 2012 Lin Pun rookie nick o_O It hurts man :(

14. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

An All-Star gets to be an All-Star because he was voted in by the fans. For Jeremy to decline the invite just because of the perceptions of some coaches, media and hardcore fans that he is not worthy of being an All-Star, will pretty much destroy the meaning of All-Star as it was conceptualized decades ago.

By declining the invite, Jeremy essentially is giving the finger to the fans that voted him in and cowed to the demands of those that feel he is not worthy of being recognized as a popular player who's a fan favourite.

Below is Google's lists of: (Notice the keyword USA? Stop using the China vote excuse)

U.S. Trending Athletes in 2012

1. Jeremy Lin
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Michael Phelps
    4. Ryan Lochte
    5. Tim Tebow
    6. McKayla Maroney
    7. Gabby Douglas
    8. Lolo Jones
    9. Dwight Howard
    10. Sarah Burke

U.S. Most Searched NBA Players in 2012

1. LeBron James
    2. Jeremy Lin
    3. Dwight Howard
    4. Derrick Rose
    5. Kevin Durant
    6. Lamar Odom
    7. Ray Allen
    8. Steve Nash
    9. Anthony Davis
    10. Dwayne Wade

15. Jedster

Jedster Member

That's true.
    Oh, I forgot one more point though.
    There is always that other sticky issue of wasting the efforts of all the fans who voted for you.
    In a sense, that's a pretty doodoo-ish thing to do to them as well. And there will be backlash there for sure. I would rather take a backlash from the people who already disliked me, than break the hearts of the people who supported me.

But anyway, like I said, it's our individual personality that make us feel whether Lin should or should not accept if he got in. Some people may feel it's dishonest, but others will simply say it's within the legalities of the voting system so what's wrong with it.

Me, I just worry about the children... :grin:

16. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

What are you talking about? I am pointing out that you are mentally weak if you cannot take the backslash and pressure. This is especially true for a NBA player. What do you not agree with?

17. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

What are you talking about? I am pointing out that you are mentally weak if you cannot take the backslash and pressure. This is especially true for a NBA player. What do you not agree with?

18. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Fan voting needs to go? Then it will not be an All-Star game. Talent & skills game is the NBA playoffs, and the All-Star is to showcase players that fans like. If All-Stars are selected by the biased few who feel in their minds who should deserve to play, then do not sell tickets or get advertising revenue from the fans and make it an exclusive event for the few elites to attend and cheer for their own kind. Hell, stop using tax payers money by playing in subsidized arenas or hyping up not-so-popular players to be popular through a myriad of propaganda machineries available.

Fan favourites are fan favourites. Dictatorships start with the few who think they are more capable of make decision for the masses.

19. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

If a majority of NBA fans want to see Jeremy play, then he is an All-Star because a star is based on popularity. Stars sell tickets and T-Shirts.

If you want stats and it is based on the outdated PPG,AST,REB,STL,BLK and not considering other stats beneficial to the success of a team, then it should be have an asterisk disclaimer stating that All-Star means players who are successful in collecting points based upon traditional statistical measurement while other contributions to the success of a team are ignored, to the approval of the NBA coaches, and sportswriters and whims of a select few NBA players and fans.

20. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Right on bro. May the force be with you and Jeremy Lin gets in. LOH are not true rocket fans to me. They don't want to give their own pg any merits. Save the initial struggle this season due to recovering from injuiry and playing out of his Linsanity role with Harden balling, he has now been playing great ball most of the time. Gosh don't you other superstar pgs of the league have some bad games. Westbrook for one has had some real bad shooting nights. Lin has much better shooting ability than Rondo, and he is as fast as any in bring the ball up or penetrating from the pick. He is so young in his NBA starter life that his achievement so far in leading the highest scoring team in the lead should be admirable instead of being thumbing down by the LOH. Why the hate and not the fairness?