1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Nov 20, 2011.

1. val_modus

val_modus Member

Agreed, the only thing you'll miss from season 1 is the history pf Westeros and the backdrop on the Targaryen story. Im about 300 pages in Clash of Kings and theres already a lot of differences and left out stuff that are amazing, am i in for more?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Yes. Definitely. I imagine you're somewhat already more sympathetic towards Book!Stannis than Show!Stannis (he's probably my favorite character in the books, actually). Theon's actually way more interesting in the show, but the Winterfell stuff in the book is significantly different.

And the stuff with Jon is incredible. The one thing I REALLY didn't like about Season 2 was the way they changed his story.

3. val_modus

val_modus Member

Yes i definitely am. Jon has always been my favorite character, so the stuff with him in the book is only growing on me more. My favorite however so far has been Tyrion, the hilarious remarks he makes to himself in his mind are unbelievable! I have noticed a lot of differences though... Tyrions arrival at Kings Landing, the prologue itself, when Yoren dies, Daenary's entire storyline before arriving at Quarth (idk what happens in Quarth bc im not there yet), im done... going for a good read, im gonna knock out 100 pages tonight

4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Now that i've completed season 2. What book should I read?

Thanks

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

I recommend you read Clash of Kings because there is alot more depth and detail in the book, also the show tended to deviate a little bit from the book in certain parts.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Twilight

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've recently started reading the first book. It's killing me that my imagination is recreating what I've seen on the show, rather than using the book's imagery alone.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't see the point in starting at Clash of Kings. If you're in it for the long haul anyways you might as well read them all starting at book 1. You're gonna run out of books like the rest of us and be sad, so milk it for all it's worth.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Aziz Ansari ‏@azizansari
    Yep “@KenTremendous: Pretty sure the cast & writers would be up for a 100% cross-over season with Game of Thrones, if they were into it.”

Samantha ‏@SamFabinWasHere
    @azizansari Lil Sebastian & Tyrion Lannister unite to take the iron throne and restore peace to the 7 Kingdoms.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ao4HVlV7wZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yzw2ZiMt3y4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a6r9CdNenuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Game of Thrones Season 2 16 Bit RPG

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/65U2I18o5wo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Sorry to dredge this up.I have a few questions and every time I google I end up spoiling something.

I just finished S2E2 and I'm confused about the Baratheon bro's.

What is the deal with Stannis ? Why was he at Dragonstone ? Was he exiled or something ? Also it was mentioned Renly had an army of 100k men.How does he have such a strong force ?

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No he wasn't exiled, he and Robert were never close, Stannis is pretty much a rock in terms of personality so he never gets along with anyone (except Davos).

Renly has a 100K men because he has all of Highgarden behind him. He and Loras are gay lovers, in season 1 Loras convinces him to come to Highgarden so he can use the resources of his House to help him. He is also married to his sister Margerie.

I know you have probably heard this before, but the show doesn't do it justice, there is way too much that goes on (backstory + all the houses) to understand the depth of the plot. The books are amazing and everyone owes it to themselves to read SOS.

14. DAROckets

Are you refering to Storm of Swords ? I'm listening to the first audio book.I'm around chapter 24 and thinking about skipping to the next book.So far it's almost exactly like season 1 and doesn't seem like I'll miss too much by skipping ahead

Thanks for the info .. Ton of characters to try and keep up with.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea, if you skip the first you won't miss out on anything really.

The 2nd (COK) is great and the 3rd (SOS) is one of the best books I've ever read, I finished it in about 2 days since it was crack on paper.

16. DAROckets

Another question ..

Not sure if I missed this,but I don't remember them ever explaining the reason Tyrion's knife was planted in the failed assassination attempt on Bran.(season 1) I just realized that was never really explained.I don't see why,at that point in time,Cersei would try and frame the imp ? Did Baelish lie about the origins of the knife ?

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

Not sure how much you want to know so I'll say little. Yes, he lied. That knife did not and never did belong to Tyrion.

18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Stannis was given Dragonstone (the old home of the Targaryens) after Robert's rebellion, and Renly was given Storm's End.

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

It's been a while, so I may be a bit rusty but...

Dragonstone was/is an important stronghold off the coast, and is within easy striking distance of King's Landing. So Robert put Stannis, who's a helluva military mind but has the charisma of a table, in charge there to safeguard KL. Renly, as the favored youngest brother, got the cushy jobs and the seat on the small council. When the War of the Five Kings breaks out (Joffrey, Renly, Stannis, Robb Stark, and Balon Greyjoy), Renly headed straight towards the Tyrells who are in charge of The Arbor. The Arbor was relatively untouched by Robert's rebellion against the Targaryens, and is basically all rich farmland and vineyards. So, while everyone else is still recovering, they just increased in strength. The Tyrells, the minor lords under them, and the Baratheon lords who chose Renly over Stannis and Joffrey made up Renly's 100k army.

Need to dig books 2 and 3 out again to reread. I think that's about right though.

20. DAROckets

Does anyone know if the original pilot that was never broadcast is available ?