1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Dec 23, 2012.

1. ribbit

ribbit Member

A lot of people say that Lin's game is more like Tony Parker's. But I agree with you. To me, his game is like Nash's. TP is a shoot-first PG, JLin is not. Nash keeps his dribble alive inside, and I see that with Lin. As you've mentioned, though, Lin is a below average shooter.

2. kozmo

kozmo Member

Lim doesn't have the assist numbers because we don't have a big guy who can catch and finish

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

greg smith but he needs more minutes.

4. pnr

pnr Member

Also he isn't the primary ball handler.

5. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

The Jeremy Lin - Greg Smith connection has been something unreal. They need to spend more time together in the PnR because it's been instant money.

6. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

You guys are pretty damn good right now... last two wins came off of B performances as a whole.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Good but not great. I wish we could have won one of the games against Spurs and OKC.

Got 2 doses of 4 games in 5 days coming up in the next two weeks. 6 games on the raod. Will determine a lot towards how good we really are.

8. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

this team is average
    cant beat the elite teams of the west - okc and sa

9. PeppermintCandy

We're a very good team in need of the second star player to go with Harden. Now where should this star player fit?

First, the backcourt is in great shape IMO. I'm happy with the Harden-Lin-Douglas-Delfino rotation, and hope they can consistently perform like this.

The PF/C rotation is pretty solid too with Patterson-Smith-Asik. I'm pretty enamored with Patterson as I see him as the well-rounded role player that brings the "intangibles" that every championship team needs. He's also got the outside shot and the all-important team defense mentality. Asik is a defensive monster, while Smith is an ideal big man off the bench.

So, the small forward spot is where I'd look to upgrade. Parsons is fine and Delfino-Morris gives McHale good matchup options, but none are irreplaceable. A star-caliber small forward with size, shooting touch and post skills would be ideal. A 3-4 type who can also slide over to the PF spot when needed.

10. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

i dont think lebron, durant, and melo are available

11. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I agree with this, but that pretty much puts us in the pack with everyone else.

It is pretty much (each tier designates who'd beat who in a playoff series, all tier 1 teams beat all other tiers, but if you are on the same tier it is a toss up).

1st tier:
    OKC, Miami, Spurs (no particular order)

2nd tier:
    LAC

3rd tier:
    Knicks, Rockets, Grizz, Chicago w/ Rose back (they could move to tier 2 if Rose is 2012 Rose)

Iffy for 3rd tier: Atl, GS, Denver, Portland, Indy, Brooklyn.

13. PeppermintCandy

Well yeah, and LeMarcus Aldridge, Chris Bosh or Kevin Garnett circa 2007 ain't walking through that door either. Glad we have that settled.

14. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

We are a legit PF away from being a very good team.Right now we are at best a 1st round team.

15. YourSecretLover

I think its still to early to really judge and gauge this team. We started 21-14 last year before choking and missing the playoffs.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

This team is younger with a legit Superstar now with a very bright future.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I don't want to be a team like Memphis, Pacers, or 76ers. We need another legit star like Harden, we shouldn't aim for borderline all-stars like Gay.

18. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Disagree. We are already a first round team, pushing to be a second round team. It didn't seem like it at the beginning of the season, but all signs point to the fact that we are a dangerous first round team. The first round is our floor not our ceiling even as currently constructed.

19. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

We need another elite like Harden, and Lin/Asik/Parsons need to step up to at least near-great consistently for us to contend. Even two all-stars is not enough with Lebron/Wade/Bosh & Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka around. 2 elites + one or more of our core becoming an all-star level player, while rotating a solid bench with scoring punch and defensive attitude.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

It's been pretty amazing how Harden keeps us in games we'd normally lose in the past.

The team's youth makes blown leads common, but you get a sense that the sky's the limit with this squad.