1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Cavaliers 1/5/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 5, 2013.

1. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

i don't get all this rage, when Scola and Battier were here, no one was complaining this much

2. Nook

Nook Member

Jeremy Lin does not deserve to be in the all star game.. Period. I will fell bad for Lin if he is voted in, he will be embarrassed.

3. AlbanyFan

AlbanyFan Member

But forget about Lin and Flop-Gate.

It does seem like Harden gets a lot of superstar calls. I like it as I'm a Rocket's fan, but man, if I were a fan of the other teams I'd be unhappy. But that's how the game goes. I'm just glad he is a Rocket.

4. Star

Star Member

Okay, since many people have different perception on what a flop is, let the league decide. We will know in a few days. I will bet Lin is clean.

But you can't argue that is not an offensive foul with the left arm push off. The NBA rule is clear that one cannot use the other arm to gain advantage offensively.

Whether Irvin's arm used enough strength to push off Lin is up to the referee to decide (in this case, the referee acknowledge the arm push off)

5. Jedster

Jedster Member

I don't think badly of you so don't feel like you're in a mess.

Your comments aren't bad, but the thing that made me respond was your aggressive style like telling people not to be ridiculous or something in those lines. If you had stated it and not made it sound like the rest of us were stupid or blinded by bias, your point would have been heard louder.

6. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Fantastic thread especially the wrestling themes.

7. Exel

Exel Member

It wasn't a flop. If you watch the gif and look at how much head on head impact there was, it would definitely knock you back. Just watch right before they collide heads, how Kyrie and Jeremy accelerate into one another. Kyrie then pushes Lin off with his left arm while Lin is off balance causing him to fall.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Completely agree, I don't care either. Lin can flop all he wants as long as he is getting the calls! :grin:

I actually think a lot of those votes are delusional. Any other player with the same exact statistics as Lin wouldn't be getting more votes than James Harden, or Russel Westbrook. Most analyists and people who know a lot about the game of basketball would say that Lin shouldn't be ahead of Harden and Westbrook in All Star Voting. Same thing when Yao Ming got voted in his rookie season ahead of Shaq, who was clearly the best center in the league at the time. (Don't get me wrong, Yao completely deserved most of his all star starts, I miss Yao, he was awesome.)

No one was trying to defend their flops this much either. Not sure if your comment was directed at me, but I for one am not complaining about the flop, I'm complaining about people making ridiculous claims about, say, Irving's mask making Lin fall back like that, lol.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

League only goes after blatant flops.

I'm not even saying it's not a foul, I'm saying he exaggerated the contact.

Anyways it's not a bad thing either way, just calling it like I see it. Don't care either way.

10. nono

nono Member

It's easy for us to watch and say it is a flop. My first reaction was that it was a flop. However, the replay shows that he was hit on the nose, and even the smallest contact there can cause some reaction. Lin has also never been the kind to flop before, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

11. lfw

lfw Rookie

I think Lin was just trying to avoid another head collision after getting 5 stitches last night.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with this. Harden will get supertar calls and will occasionally flop as well.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have said that, just my inner rage coming out, lol. In all seriousness, I called the claim ridiculous because if the same thing happened on the other end, everyone would call it a flop no doubt. No one would be posting gifs trying to defend that ****.

13. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

"This rockets team will run you when they're tired, they'll run you when they're full of energy. They'll run you run you run you."

-Cavs commentators. Haha.

14. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

Who the eff cares if Lin supposedly flopped or not? Will it change the fact that we still won? NOOOO. Jeez, some of you are just so damn stubborn and just want to prove you are right or something. A lot of nba players flop, why is it such a big deal if Lin did or not? Freaking double standards

15. marry

marry Member

it is so ridiculous,people dont talk about winning,or you hope to lose. you only focus on lin flopped so damn.

16. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Why would he be embarrassed? He will get a chance to showcase his talents, particularly his court vision and his ability to pass the ball, and in the ASG to players who can actually catch and finish. He'll have his own highlight reel if makes it.

1 person likes this.
  17. The_Real_McCoy

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Lin's 2012 Highlights by GERALDD39 (Sorry, wrong thread)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OrJ6KXV-pKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Everything that's deemed negative about Lin always gets magnified because he has over 4k fans here :). Normal stuff.

20. Roxs

Roxs Member

Hey guys, I want to introduce another advance stat for tonight's game. (There's like no websites that calculates the majority of advance stats out there on a nightly basis.)

Introducing Points Created - basically a bottom-line stat that shows how well a player performed in a particular game. It's based on primary and secondary box score stats, so while it won't have much defensive metric value, it should be a pretty good measure of offensive performance. This stat was created by Bob Bellotti who use to work for the Buck and Wiz front office. (More info)

On to the data for tonight:

Greg Smith, PF: 0.715
    Marcus Morris, PF: 0.54
    Patrick Patterson, PF: 0.475
    James Harden, SG: 0.45
    Jeremy Lin, PG: 0.346
    Omer Asik, C: 0.334
    Carlos Delfino, SF: 0.209
    Toney Douglas, PG: 0.156
    Chandler Parsons, SF: 0.028

Kevin Jones, PF: 0.713
    Tristan Thompson, PF: 0.638
    Tyler Zeller, C: 0.526
    Alonzo Gee, SF: 0.433
    Kyrie Irving, PG: 0.351
    Luke Walton, SF: 0.247
    Dion Waiters, SG: 0.059
    Shaun Livingston, PG: 0.022
    C.J. Miles, SF: -0.127

Basically what you're seeing here is points created per offensive possession. It's scaled in such a way to display the stat in a "batting average" format to help you more easily gauge performance.

What the numbers mean:

Above .650
    Superstar category. Normally, only a handful of players each season reach this level of performance.

.550-.650
    All-Stars are in this range, or either just below or above it.

.450-.550
    Good players who are sometimes outstanding fall into this category.

.350-.450
    Regulars. Solid players who are either starters or among a team's first seven or eight regulars.

.250-.350
    Poor. Players in this category are frequently rookies, or veterans whose skills are declining.

Below .200
    Awful. Players in this category are living life on the edge. Most are soon traded or released.

The biggest difference vs this and Hollinger's GameScore metric, which I posted earlier, is that Points Created factors minuted played whereas GameScore does not. So Points Created is also a measure of efficiency. This is why Greg Smith is up there so high, much higher than Harden/Lin.