1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh how the mighty have fallen (Metallica)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheFreak, Feb 13, 2003.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Got this from hardradio.com's news section. I remember when Metallica used to have balls and used to give the finger to the mainstream.

2/10/03 Page 4

On METALLICA's forthcoming release and upcoming tour dates...the band have set a tentative June release date for their as-yet-untitled new album. A source close to the band calls the new material, "the heaviest, hardest music they've ever made". They have also planned to appear on nine European festival dates this Summer and also tour the US. Drummer Lars Ulrich recently commented on the band's website: "I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the record, in between what seems like endless meetings about tours, production, art work, bass dudes. It's all a bit overwhelming, but challenging and, in rare moments of not pulling out what little hair I have left, pretty f**king exciting to be doing this all over again... There will be a tidal wave coming your way soon. It's called Metallica, motherf**ker. Jump in, strap yourselves down and come along for the ride if you can handle it." According to a press release by Warner, the SUMMER SANITARIUM TOUR 2003 is confirmed. The release states the following: "METALLICA, LIMP BIZKIT and LINKIN PARK come together for this once-in-a-lifetime live extravaganza that will kick off this coming summer, with all three bands playing headline length sets. The three groups are also delivering new albums to coincide with this unprecedented juggernaut throughout the U.S. The Summer Sanitarium Tour is slated to officially begin on July 4th. The Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003 also adds the DEFTONES and MUDVAYNE to the line-up. In no particular order, here are the confirmed cities for Summer Sanitarium Tour 2003: Minneapolis, St. Louis, Orlando, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Columbus, Montreal, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Denver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Detroit, Toronto, Washington/Baltimore and Chicago. James Hetfield has issued the following statements: Regarding the upcoming tour, Hetfield comments: "Touring in the US in the summer is always on top of our list of things we would like to do and we are hitting all the big cities. Being able to play this stuff live is going to be so amazing! My mind set is to go out there and show the world how strong Metallica is." On Metallica's new album: "'For us, this new album is like re-visiting early innocent feelings but incorporating our experience. It is like starting over in a way... this album is so chock full of energy, and lyrically, it is deeper than it's ever been because it is involving all the other guys.' In other news, METALLICA's forthcoming new album will be titled St. Anger. A release date has been set for June 10th. The band recently commented on KSJO radio: Kirk Hammett: "It's more we wanna get a wider range of music going. And we picked these bands because we thought they would gel well with what we're doing musically. It's similar, in certain respects, to what we do and where we're coming from. We just thought it would be great to hook up with these guys. Really, it doesn't have that much to do with demographics at all." Lars Ulrich - "I think you've gotta look at one thing. It's like, the premise is to bring a bunch of headlining bands together, give kids the opportunity to see headline bands play together. Full sets, full production. I have a lot of respect for LINKIN PARK and a lot of respect for LIMP BIZKIT. If you're gonna go out and do a headlining thing with two other bands that can do it, then that's where you're gonna go. 'Cause it's not Metallica and four support acts. Like I said, the main thing is about respect, and I have a lot of respect for both of those bands. So I think it's a really cool thing, because it brings together a bunch of different musical things, and I think we've always tried, whether it was five years ago or 10 years ago, or 15 years ago, to bring other bands with us that we respected and brought another element of music other than our own." Regarding tour partners Limp Bizkit: "I have a lot of respect for Fred Durst. A lot of people are already starting to, 'Hey, you guys were on opposite sides of the Napster. Who gives a ****? I mean, I have a lot respect for him for standing up for his side, in the same way that I know he has respect for me. Me and him have had our talks and settled our issues, and I know, I really like Limp Bizkit. I mean, I've said it for years - I don't know if anyone actually hears it - but I think Limp Bizkit are an awesome band. In terms of the rap-rock bands, or ANY bands out there, I think they really are truly among the best. You know, the drummer, John Otto, is awesome. And I have a lot of respect for what Fred's been able to do. A lot of people get turned off by his enthusiasm and his tenacity, and I guess maybe the reason I respect it a lot is that sometimes I see elements of him in me, or see some of my own elements in him - just about the tenacity and the energy and the kind of 'grrrrrr', that whole thing. I think I'm starting to calm down, I'm a few years older, but I recognize some of his energy in when I think back on myself ten years ago, and I really identify with it."

2. Buck Turgidson

The "Black Album" destroyed Metallica...I haven't liked anything they've done since. Alls I can do is crank up one of their oldies & reminisce. Too bad.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

Cliff is rolling over in his grave.

Buck - I agree about the Black album.

When they came out with short hair, silk shirts, and makeup, I knew it was over.

Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings
    Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
    Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream
    Master
    Master
    Just call my name, 'cause I'll hear you scream

MASTER!!!

MASTER!!!

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The "Justice" concert at the now-defunct Houston Collisieum was one of the most amazing concerts I ever attended. It was the beginning of the end for my hearing.

VooDooPope likes this.
  5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

blasphemy! Almost any rock fan has the black album in their all time top 10.

In Metallica's defense, they probably knew that by the time Load came out, most of their original fans would be dead from drug overdoses, so they had to re-invent themselves. :D

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Yawn...Lars is so full of himself, I wonder if he repects himself.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Nobody else does, especially after the Napster debacle.

8. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I am one of the few Metallica fans that likes all of their stuff. I am looking forward to their new album in June, but I'll be damned if I am going to go to a concert with them that also includes Limp Bizkit and freaking Linkin Park.

By the way, I don't really see how "giving the finger to mainstream" requires any balls at all. Seems to me that it is a much bigger risk to attempt to enter the mainstream, since you are attempting to get new fans and risking losing your old ones. I admire them for playing the kind of music they want to play (and I don't care what anyone says, their music is far from "mainstream"...they still have a very unique sound) instead of the kind of music that their fans want hem to play.

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Black album was garbage and pretty much any real rock fan knows this. Ever song was the same damn tempo (and a slow one at that) and it lacked the craziness of the previous albums. Basically, it sounded too calculated.

Metallica peaked with Master of Puppets. However, Justice could have been their apex if the sound of the album hadn't been so goddamned awful - it sounded like they recorded it with a dictaphone in a cardboard box - no bass or reverb at all.

Personally, I like Kill 'Em All the best, even though it's heavily derived from Motorhead. Sometimes, you just want to rock out and this album delivers the goods.

11. IVFL

IVFL Member

A freind of mines wife won a package that would allow her to spend 3 days with the band and go to two concets with back stage passes. She said the whole band was really cool and down to earth, very respectfull towards her. That is all the band members besides Lars. She said he as a SOB. I guess the guy is pretty into himself.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

:eek: Just about every song on the black album was freaking awesome.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When was this? Before or after Jason Newsted "quit"? I got a chance to meet James and Jason once before a concert at a Meet and Greet, and they were both very nice. It doesn't surprise me that Lars was a jerk. The guy has been the b*stard of the band for a while. I think they enjoy his ruthless streak, though, because he is the one that handles most of the business aspect of the band.

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually always thought Justice was their worst (to that point, I don't know anything past Black). Every song on that album is about 8 minutes and sounds the same. I often felt that, while listening to it, one could easily imagine one song playing for most of it and then One playing for the other 8 minutes.

Maybe I should dust off some of those 80's memories and think about the bad old days...maybe not.

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I was never a fan of Metallica and when that napster issue came up i just hated them even more.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I have always been a fan of Metallica...I like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, among other rage in the cage pissed off music. I feel Metallica has been smart to alter during neccesitating changing times and at a near majority of the time for the better...Their staying power is nearly unrivaled and I would hardly label them as fallen when they have gone further than 99.99853% of all other bands...

17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I have been a huge metallica fan since justice came out. I liked load and forgave them for reload but playing with limp biscit and lincoln park? These two bands are the epitome of bad modern music. I quess nickleback and creed will be opening for them by the end of the tour:rolleyes:

18. stra

stra Member

I know Metallica is coming to the Roskilde Festival this summer. I will off course be there.

One of my all time favorite bands

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I like your posts subtomic, but please refrain from speaking for the rest of us "real rock fans". The Black album was the point where they completed their mainstream transition, but the album still had what it took to blow away any and all other rock bands at the time.

I do agree that Kill 'em All was one of, if not their best effort. Too bad there isn't a band on the planet that can match their intense lyrics and furious musical sound from that album.

#19 RocketsPimp, Feb 14, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2003
  20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

LOL! Well said.