1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White refuses assignment to D-League (UPDATE: Rockets suspend him)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Do you want the Rockets to give up on Royce White?

1. No. He's a talent that can help us win down the road.

156 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Yes. He's not worth it. Cut him from the team.

566 vote(s)
    78.4%
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He has a serious mental problem. I have nothing else to say.
    From now on all interviews to be done sky-diving along with a Bengal tiger attached to your parachute.

2. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

so what happened to royce white during his childhood that made him anxious?

3. astros99

astros99 Member

Jerry Sandusky.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Someone should ask this guy why he joined the NBA draft in the first place. Can we sue his agents for their failure to get their guy to play?

Anyway I think it's best for the Rockets if White will just quit the league. No way Rockets are going to release him to play for another NBA team, unless that team compensates them, I guess.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

We point and laugh. and the Rockets ask for their money back.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Rockets don't need to ask for money back since they can just suspend him without pay until he starts showing up for work.

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

he said 9/11 triggered his flying anxiety if I recalled correctly

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Correct. Its probably a better situation for the Rockets to be in to fine him and force him to be the one to forgo his own contract, than the Rockets to seek damages in court after the matter. That situation could air dirty laundry publicly, and drag this matter out for who knows how long. Fining and suspending him until he quits is the first approach.

Since the Rockets haven't been suspending him, or fining him since Monday(when he refused to go to the D-League) that tells you something bigger must be in the works involving the league office.

If it was just the Rockets decisions, they would have acted much sooner. Since they fined him for not seeing a 3rd party doctor when he missed his first assignment, it is assumed that this sanction will be much more severe... especially is Master Stern is involved.

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

This may have already been posted in this thread. Jason Friedman said on the Blitz 97.5 yesterday that some type of "development" should be coming out in the not too distance future.

Whether that's Royce reporting to D-League, the Rockets severing ties, or anything else.. Friedman couldn't get into details.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, Daryl commented on it this morning(not really).

11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Member
    Supporting Member

at this point any news is good news

12. choujie

choujie Member

at this point any news is good news for White. He still collects paychecks for doing nothing except tweeting.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

14. studogg

studogg Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

As clutch indicated, you can tell that a lack of intelligence is not his problem. If anything, that is probably part of the root of his anxiety issues (a broader understanding)

I'm betting this was set up by his agent in a way to counter some of the negative perception around him. Not a bad move either.

Would have enjoyed hearing the whole interview.

15. Commodore

Commodore Member

if they're saying we'll know something soon, it has to be they are letting him go

they wouldn't make that statement if it was dependent on action by Royce

16. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Media one-on-one interviews are usually scheduled either the team's PR department or through the player's agents for player availability. I'm pretty sure an interview for Royce to air his side wasn't scheduled by the Rockets, who are keeping mum behind the scenes till things sort out in order to avoid any further liability.

17. studogg

studogg Member

My indication of it being his agent was more in line with whether he set it up himself or not. Not if the rockets set it up.

For someone was vocal as Royce - it could be that he himself set it up, but with his self-sabotaging ways, I key this one for his agent.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Um, what..

This dude clearly thinks he's way smarter than he actually is.

A [summarized] quote from the interview: "In college, they trusted me that I could collaborate with my doctor and not abuse the system by using my illness as a veil to get away with whatever I wanted. The head honcho in Houston seems to mistrust me here after things fell through in negotiations."
    <br>
    Ok Royce...

So what's you're saying is that you want the Rockets organization to trust that you're not going to use your illness as a crutch to support whatever decision you (not the team) decide is best after you have done just that the past few months.

Makes a lot of sense brah.

Gtfo of here with that ****ty nonsense, Royce.
    <br>
    His one saving point though is that he does finally claim that it's "not Houston's fault." And that one day he does want to play for Houston, but it's a NBA wide problem. This makes me think that the real "head honcho" he's referring to is David Stern. But either way, his actions make rooting against him so easy.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

More and more so, i believe that the Rockets are gonna let his illness play its course, and fine him until he complies... If that still doesnt happen, the Rockets will happily keep fining him...I just wonder if Stern may consider adding a supplemental pick for the Rockets (ie. 31st pick to help compensate for their troubles. Doubt Stern really wants to help us though...basketball reasons...)

Royce White has lost all credibility, and has prevented anyone else from publicly coming out and addressing the issue of mental health(especially kids that may be plagued with it in High School and college)...He has been an beacon and a shinning example of why teams will never draft players/athletes with history of mental illness...

This couldve been his big platform and couldve done things the right way...instead he received really bad advice, had a huge shock that other players may be better than him, and still cant come to grips/reality that this is not high school or college but a professional business...Not just a game, but a job...Not only will he never get a chance to shine for the Rockets, as of now, he wont have a career in the NBA...

For any European/international team that wants to gamble with this, go ahead. But once you see what the Rockets had to deal with, any excitement will quickly be erased...just like the many Houston Rockets fans that wanted to see this kid play in the NBA.

20. studogg

studogg Member

He was well spoken and attempted to change the perception that he is 'blaming' the rockets in this process and the he thinks the grass is greener elsewhere.

that was pretty smart - or schrewd. However you qualify it.