1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

IT managed services

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yonkers, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I'm looking for a company to handle basic Tier 1 help desk issues and then escalate to a local onsite IT person. And the company will also handle after hours and weekend support. And possibly general server patching and maintenance. The customer size is along the lines of about 200 employees, 150 PCs, 10 Microsoft servers.

Does anyone work for a company like that or works for a company that has outsourced their IT to a company like that? I'm not talking outsourced to IBM but more to a company that focuses on the smaller business that don't have the economies of scale to have a full IT department. What has your experience been as an end-user? And if you were on the IT side of it, what was your experience with the company that the work was handed to?

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

As someone that has worked for companies and with companies like this... good luck. Customer service is generally horrible with said companies, and the level of knowledge and service is even scarier. Most of the ones that cater to medium and small businesses are just as bad as larger companies like IBM, HP and Accenture.

Why? Because they will always be looking out for their best interest, rather than what is best for your company (if you're reselling the services) or those that they are supporting (read end users).

In IT support, you get what you pay for.

EDIT - I should point out that I have a good friend who works High Standards Technology, Inc. who loves his job... I know he's good at what he does, so I would think those he works with are as well. http://www.weredown.com/

1 person likes this.
  3. Yonkers

Thanks. I've worked for companies that outsourced and I saw the gradual decline in service. So I know what you mean. Unfortunately I'm not sure how else to get 24/7 support unless I hire people who are willing to be on-call 24/7. So I figured this is the best option.

4. Svpernaut

I'm certain there are good companies out there, I just haven't personally worked with any... although most of my experience has been with bigger shops HP/IBM/Accenture, etc.

I've been on 24/7 on call most of my 12+ years in IT, I think it just kind of comes with the territory. I think having an SLA setup for the 24/7 call center (read overseas or low cost) who escalate it to an engineer if it reaches a certain level is probably the best/most cost efficient.

I'd just be wary of entering in long-term contracts without clear stipulations for exit if service levels don't meet expectations. Metrics are huge in this regard. Average call time, wait time, ticket open time, etc.

5. Yonkers

I've worked on-call for a number of years too but that has always been escalation. Since this company is 24/7 then the after hours support might be just password resets or printer jam issues. So that's what I'm mainly looking for... first level type of support.
    I've reached out to High Standards Technology to see what they can do.
    Thanks.

6. Svpernaut

Sounds good. I'm not sure exactly what levels of support they offer, my buddy does basic systems administration stuff for servers, websites and the like. He likes the company and the job, and has had other offers which says a lot to me. If you're outside they're scope I'm sure they have partners.

Let us know whoever you go with, will be good to get some feedback as this is a question I get asked frequently.

7. Classic

Classic Member

1 person likes this.
  8. Yonkers

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I work for an IT firm that might be willing to take on a project like this.
    http://www.goodeco.com We have many clients with a similar arrangement, so the only question mark might be weekend support but again I think my boss would be interested.

If you want, shoot me an email and I'll forward it to my boss. will@goodeco.com.

1 person likes this.
  10. Prince

Prince Member

odesk.com

11. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

www.softlayer.com

I worked for their Fully Managed Services department and can tell you that they have the company's best working in the team. Plus, they have a ton of automated features within the customer portal that will surely make your life a lot easier.

An example would be, if you need to move a server from one vlan to another quickly, you don't have to have a Network Engineer do this for you. Their entire infrastructure is API dependent which allows them to automate a lot of work i.e. DNS, GSLB, network changes DDoS mitigation etc. A simple change like that can be done by you or someone else with access to the portal and servers. Or you can choose for your support team to do it.

I stopped working there in 2010 but last I knew, they give you a TAM, DBA, Network Engineer and Systems Engineer. All depending on your environment

Not bad at all.

1 person likes this.
  12. Yonkers

It definitely looks like they are providing a great service but it looks more like managed services if they're hosting your server in their data center. Definitely Enterprise level stuff but this is more a mid-market company. Perhaps we're too small for them.

13. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Yep that's right.

This forum is hosted on the Softlayer infrastructure so you know it's good LOL.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Let's nerd the **** out

15. yobod

yobod Member

The company I work for is the largest Houston based IT service provider.

http://www.dyonyx.com/about-us.aspx

We have 175 employees, $30M revenue a year. We have a lot of big clients including City of Houston, British Airways, Scientific Drilling, and etc. Let me know if you require an IT assessment and I can get you in touch with one of our engineers. We provide server hosting, service desk Tier I, II, and III support, network monitoring, infrastructure design, and etc. Our rates are typically a lot lower than IBM or Deloitte which run at $250/hr.

solutions@dyonyx.com and I'll send you some collateral. We're located off 610/290 intersection. We can provide a tour of our facilities and you can meet our staff. ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. yobod

yobod Member

I'm more on the business side of my company here in Houston (www.dyonyx.com) but I know all of our technical team really well. They're a lot older, and seasoned from HP, EDS and so forth. I think being Houston based and focusing on Houston clients, our service is a bit more personal than the big companies. Our production servers are here in Houston, while our disaster recovery servers are in Bryan and Austin.

17. yobod

yobod Member

Yeah you can't miss the giant Softlayer sign in Downtown! We've got our servers diversified through companies like Fibertown, CyrusOne, and Data Foundry.
    <br><br>

18. Yonkers

I'm familiar with Dyonyx. I did work with you guys a long time ago for City of Houston.
    Do you guys do the outsourced Help Desk piece? A lot of the companies I'm contacting are willing to manage the servers. And on the PC side they're willing to install agents and do monitoring/patch management. But none have agreed on Tier 1 Help Desk calls.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Check your rep, I sent you my contact information.

20. Yonkers

OK. Sent email.