1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

#Progress: White to work out with member of Rockets staff at Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Royce White is the perfect candidate for the ESPN buss commercials.

What a coward he is. If you're afraid to fly on a plane then you're a coward, period.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I support Royce 100% as long as he owns up to his mistakes when the time comes. I don't expect him to apologize for the whole mess, but I expect him to identify and own up to the mistakes he personally made as part of the whole mess and apologize for those - and not necessarily to the fans, but definitely to the organization and his teammates. I expect that any person in his exact circumstances would not handle it perfectly. It is idiotic to compare this to any person with anxiety disorder, or a person with anxiety disorder who has a regular job. These are very specific circumstances - anxiety disorder, rookie, lots of flying, massive expectations, huge spotlights, media scrutiny, old school coach, and an organization which has never before dealt with something like this.

Right now, I say we leave him alone in the corner and allow him to see what he's missing out on and I bet it will help him to move past this. Till then, I see no point in piling on more pressure on a guy with anxiety disorder.

If he never plays he never plays, it's his loss mostly. A few million $ is nothing to the Rockets but a risk gone bad, while an NBA career is everything he's ever wanted.

Having said that, I think we'll witness an improvement in the situation around the all-star break and he'll get a few minutes here and there towards the end of the season. The cost of drafting a person with this kind of issue may be one lost tumultuous season but it still may be worth it. I don't buy that he's just a lazy person. Even assuming it's true, to be lazy and be drafted in the first round of the NBA means you probably have tremendous talent, and that's valuable.

IIRC people were talking about cutting Marcus Morris last season. Luckily, the organization is not that fickle and the more recent quotes from McHale and Morey show that they are doing everything possible to ensure that not an ounce of this thing can be blamed on the organization if things go wrong - which is very important.

1 person likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree with most of it except that he has tremendous talent. He has some but one decent to good season where he controlled the ball being the No.1 option in college where they play fewer games than in the NBA says nothing.

He has no motor. As documented Harden had hardly no motor in Arizona, and worked hard with Durant, WB and Co. to get where he is today in 3 seasons.
    Hard work still outweighs talent at the end of the day.

4. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

“The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel, who have dreams, who want to do things. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." Will Smith

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's mostly a lost 1st round pick. zeller, perry, etc would like nice on our roster right now..

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You truly are a calloused and uncaring individual. Ignorant also. I am a very stable, successful individual, but unless I am taking a SSRI to stop panic attacks I can actually pass out if I am standing at a precipice. Literally my blood pressure drops to the point that I pass out. And I am a person who has gone exploring deep see caves with a rebreather 100 meters below the surface. And I can tell you that at 90 feet an encounter with a tiger shark or a huge morey eel would send most people over the edge. So, could you get it through your little mind that it is not cowardice, it is involuntary Vegus-Vasal reactions?

3 people like this.
  7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

White probably suffers from involuntary panic attacks. Many of us have to deal with one. Mine is heights. Trust me, stupid things can drive a person into a dead feint. I feel sure that his desire to compete in the NBA is at war with his phobias. Lets hope desire triumphs over phobia.

8. BenVR4

BenVR4 Member

SSRI's may be doing more damage to your brain than good. Your improvement if any could simply be linked to a placebo effect. Read this book and get back to me

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Epide...611672&sr=8-1&keywords=anatomy+of+an+epidemic

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

SSri's are a new hot topic in scientific journals for promoting neural stem cell growth. But I will look into your reference. Thanks. But if I am driving over a very high bridge and inadvertently look aver the side I can come close to fainting. There is nothing like driving in heavy traffic and suddenly you cannot move your legs and the outside world sort of just goes black. But I take the meds and I have no difficulty.

10. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

You make a good point. In fairness to Royce, I also have to think that because of his age and condition, that his advisors, coaches, family, and maybe his doctor, have to bear some of the responsibility for allowing this to happen. Worse still, is if they mis-judged his condition and actually encouraged him to make the jump before he was ready.

If all those closest to Royce were mistaken about his readiness, then it must have been hard for the Rockets to know any different.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Except that he stated he hasnt had one (panic attack) in 3 years in one of his tweets.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Fat, lazy, emo POS. Cut his ass

13. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Lets please get this trending?

14. BlueJazz

BlueJazz Member

Exactly.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well so far, nothing is his fault according to him. I don't see him owning up to anything based on what we've seen.

umm we have been leaving him in the corner for most of the season. So he's seen what he has been missing for a while now. If that hasn't effected him by now, don't think it will.

Skips training camp, practices, says no to dleague and missed most of the regular season. You really think he gets any playing time over the current guys? He ain't playing this year unless there are multiple injuries.

16. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Is there any update on his workout.

17. art

art Member

roland martin basically asked him on twitter what was up with him. same answer, "Protocols"

18. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Im not interested in pleasing fans, unless your a fan of... <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Transparency">#Transparency</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Humanity">#Humanity</a>... if those are your interests, you should be pleased.</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/284409066955091968" data-datetime="2012-12-27T21:23:00+00:00">December 27, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

haha - not sure if IA State taught Mr White what #Transparency means.

20. tomato

tomato Member

I leave it to the fans. You have all the necessary tools to spread #RoyceWhiteWormsInButt

Maybe he LIKES them, we don't know, but it's an important discussion to have.