1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] The Chandler Parsons Contract: An Analysis (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Dec 23, 2012.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I often wonder the same thing. :grin:

Seriously, though, I love my current job and am very happy with my firm. That said, keep up the good work hyping me up to the organization! It never hurts to be well thought of by people one admires.

I've never been contacted by The Houston Chronicle, although Jonathan Feigen and I follow each other on Twitter.

Jason Friedman (Head Writer for rockets.com and a good friend to ClutchFans.net) at one point expressed an interest in having me write something for the Rockets' official website. (Clutch is aware of this, btw.)

While I'd love to work with Jason (who is an excellent writer and an absolutely wonderful person, to boot), it is hard to find useful or meaningful content I could provide that the organization would feel was fit for print on the team's official website. For instance, I doubt the team would allow this Parsons piece to run, since teams cannot (officially) divulge this sort of information. Same goes for all of the Salary Cap Updates.

Still, I'd love to work with Jason in the future if I could ever think of something he could actually use.

1 person likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Come on Bima, you already know this message board is full of people who are not very forgiving!

3. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

What type of occupation do you work as, if it's not too intrusive of me to ask?

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm a lawyer. Transactional work, not litigation. Mostly real estate.

I draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts for a living.

[Obligatory Disclaimer: All views expressed by me on ClutchFans.net are solely my own and not those of my employer or any client.]

And no, I will not give free legal advice! :p

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is this an backfire move? LOL Parsons and his agent aren't seers, they wouldn't know he would blow up like he did. Parsons had a great agent, he managed to convince an NBA team sign a 2nd round pick for four years vis partial guarantees.

Anyway great work Bima. I just have a question, were you really wanting to write this piece anyway, or did you write it just because of the OP who made the "why can't we give Parsons a raise?" thread (probably by a relative of Parsons lol)?

Anyway 5 stars. It amazes me that the team which pushed moneyball at the forefront has so many statgeek fans (you and Durvasa just to name a few). Maybe DM working for the Roxwas destiny lol.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Although often times my simple mind doesn't fully understand Bima articles, I like to go around talking about contracts and numbers to people after reading one of his articles. It makes me look smart and schett...

7. Dei

Dei Member

They should've made some leeway on the possibility he'd outperform his contract, obviously. Depends on whether or not they were confident at the time, of course. But saying it like this makes it seem like everyone should sign for the longest contract, no matter how small.

And

No.

I just want to know, though, Bima, how'd you get that Parsons' last two years aren't team options?

8. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I don't know the full background of Chandler's negotiations but he's a second-round pick with a lot to prove. If first-round picks don't get the luxury of early termination with good production, what makes you think a second round pick will? You're asking them to negotiate for the moon with nothing in their pockets.

9. Dei

Dei Member

As said in the piece, first round picks have more rigid contracts. Second round picks don't. With relation to his age when he signed his contract (23) and supposing they had some inkling and confidence of his possible output, you'd think they'd put some leeway for it.

I've said it my thread, I'd pay him more if he ever shows any ounce of regret about his contract.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While you may not hand out free legal advice (oh, drat!), what you do give us, Bima, is a pearl without price, and one of the many things making what Clutch has created here something unique among the fan sites that cover the league. I would like to think that most of us realize just how lucky we are to have ClutchFans, and are able to get past the gripping, whining, and nonsense that can plague us, primarily in the GARM, and columns like yours, and Clutch's, naturally, enable us to focus on what matters. What matters here are the Rockets, everything about the Rockets, not just the players themselves, but the whole tamale, and Bima, you've got a huge part of that tamale covered in Terlingua Champion Chili, no beans allowed. (although there are beans around here, and we know who they are, so busy causing a needless stink!)

That last was a bit of a tangent. I'm starting to crave tamales now, dammit. ;-)-

Now for the topic. Is Chandler's contract unusual compared to most 2nd round deals? I've always admired Morey's work after being initially sceptical about the hire, Daryl being such an unknown at the time, and very young for a GM, but have become a huge fan, aside from the occasional disagreement here and there. We've all seen how much he thinks out of the box. I was wondering if the terms of Chandler's contract reflected any of that Morey Magic, or if it was simply good negotiating on the part of his agent, which you mentioned in the column. In other words, is this deal a departure from the norm, like we saw with the Asik/Lin contracts, or a relatively common contract in its structure? I'm leaning towards it being relatively commom, aside from a few tweaks, perhaps. What stuns me is his talent evaluation. Yes, Chandler is locked up with one of the best value deals in the league, but it's that value, that unexpected high level of play right off the bat that blows my mind. It's pretty freakin' unreal.

Thanks again for laying some knowlege us. God knows we need it!

1 person likes this.
  11. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

This analysis makes the thing crystal clear!! Thanks Bima

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Bima, I just wanna know when you and Clutch gonna do another clutchfans podcast...

13. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

look at the draft class parsons was in and look at his numbers this season....his agent will be stupid not to try to get an extension for parsons who most consider a "core player".

14. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Obviously you didn't even take the time to read the original post.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Very interesting. With the way Greg Smith is playing, we may need to worry about him before Parsons. Wonder what's the contract detail/implication of retaining Greg Smith after next season?

16. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Poisen pill contract coming to Parsons in 2015!

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Just as Morey found him, Budinger, Landry and AB he will find his replacement.

Not a big deal.

18. Sham

Sham Member

The simultaneous renegotiation/extension thing isn't possible any more, unless the extension is for no more than a 10% increase, which is pittance for Parsons. If it's more than that amount, the extension cannot be signed for another three years, which renders it moot here.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my brother and his friends started a firm that does contract law. he last worked for gulf states toyota and he is a ut law grad. he he worked for lidell sapp (sp) at one point, if you ever need another soilder or a new job hit me up through the board. you seem like you might have a lot in common with him

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

The whole Restricted vs non-Restricted is, IMO, a moot point with Parsons. It really only applies to players that don't want to stay here. Even assuming Parsons for whatever reason becomes a superstar, the Rockets still would have to pay him the max regardless of his status. Also, if he wants to earn the most money, he'd make more as a Rocket regardless of his status.

Also, if the Rockets want him a bit cheaper, they can always negotiate an extension next offseason. Parsons can get his guaranteed money earlier, the Rockets have more cost certainty.