1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. nickg

nickg Member

If all you want is someone to catch and finish at the rim, then why not keep smith and asik. Fact is, cousins is not good at all offensively and is a cancer. He would be fine if he wasn't defended, people aren't going to ignore him in Houston. I will take defense over an over rated headcase.

45% is ****ing atrocious....

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Do you really think the Rockets are going to even think about adding a PF who cannot shoot from the 3 point line? What happens to the Rockets offense when they have another big hanging around the paint? Will there still be those driving lanes for Lin and Harden? Or will the PF and Center clog up the middle so that there is no good lane to the basket?

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Check the bottom of the last page. Cousins is literally worse--much worse--at finishing at the rim than even Omer Asik.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The Rockets need to think about if McHale's Minnesota connections are good enough to set up a modest deal to land Kevin Love.. He maybe only 6'8 but he's a helluva of a PF.

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That he is, but McHale is probably involved in some Al Jefferson pursuit instead. Jefferson gets hurt so much they might as well call it CrutchFans, but whatever. Either player is an upgrade to the Rockets' frontcourt, and a huge upgrade over the layup and dunk-challenged Cousins.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Talk about a TINY sample size...

You can look at Cousin's gamelog from last year and find longer stretches of him shooting 60+ percent from the field.

Sure, mixed in with some 21 year old 2-15's, ala Kobe Bryant.

#726 RudyTBag, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Could the Rockets trade for Cousins without losing Parsons, probably not, and that would be hard to handle.

The Rockets have already been burned recently by two players with mental issues, TWill and Royce White. Do the Rockets gamble again on someone that is clearly a knuckle head?

Morey has said that The Rockets are a team that must take chances to build a championship team, so I think he would definitely negotiate with Sacramento.

I think the Rockets really love Parsons, so if he's included in a trade, I don't know if the Rockets would want to part with much more than that. Maybe throw in one of our rookies and not much else. Or the Rockets could offer Asik and a couple of rookies. I'm sure Sacramento would get a lot of offers, so I don't know if we have what Sacramento is looking for.

Tough call in my opinion, especially since the Rockets are playing well with what they already have. If the Rockets could get Cousins without giving up Parsons that would be an amazing deal for the Rockets, but I just don't know if they could pull that off. I wonder if Sacramento would be interested in Lin and a couple of rookies and we get Cousins and one of their point guards? Isaiah Thomas looks like a good prospect.

And, I'm not really sure how good Cousins really is.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

lol. Boogie Cousins has had a TS% of < 50%, as a center, every single season he has been in the league.

The sample sizes get no bigger than "every game he has played in his professional career."

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Whilst being the number one option on perhaps the worst team in the league.

And being 20, 21 and 22 years old.

And being coached by Keith Smart.

And playing with Tyreke Evans.

1 person likes this.
  10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

DeMarcus Cousins career TS%: 49%, and 43% on layup attempts. ClutchFans consensus opinion: "One of the best young players of our generation. Would gladly trade all young prospects to obtain."

Omer Asik career TS%: 53%. ClutchFans consensus opinion: "Stone hands. Cannot finish at the rim. Don't even pass him the ball."

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Zach Randolph had 3 years before he was 25, where he shot less than 45% from the field...

12. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If anything, this inflates his numbers. Do you understand how this works?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zach Randolph was also traded for the right to pay Steve Francis $32M NOT to play for the Blazers.

Due to him still being on rookie deal and not max deal, Cousins' value is higher but that's not saying a whole lot.

The question is whether any front office is secure enough to give significant assets to bet on Cousins.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

People always make this silly comparison. Randolph didn't stop sucking and being a headcase until he turned 30.

It's cool though. Don't worry anyone. Getting Cousins will pay off eight years from now. A ClutchFans poster has assured us. :rolleyes:

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Zach Randolph at 24= .483 TS%

Inflates his raw numbers, but not his percentages. Quite...

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yes, I was insinuating that Zach and Demarcus would have IDENTICAL career trajectories. :rolleyes:

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yes, TS% is the end all be all to offensive ability... :rolleyes: :Swoly:

All I am saying is that I think Cousins, in a different situation and with a different team, would be a very dynamic player, and could learn to be highly efficient.

#737 RudyTBag, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Great quote by John Thompson on why he'd take Cousins in draft:
    "You can calm down a fool before you can resurrect a corpse."

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Then what was your point when you handpicked the stat, if not to insinuate that the two were similar? And do you know who was interested in obtaining and playing Zach Randolph early in his career? Idiots. People like Isiah Thomas.

It was only after Randolph got his act together as a much older man and started demonstrating production again, instead of just potential, that he was able to ink that massive contract with Memphis.

That's the player teams want. Old Zach Randolph. Screw the "young, problematic" version. Nobody wants that.

And speaking of which, why would you even think that Cousins would have a better trajectory on getting his act together and being sort of a good "NBA citizen" again, and a valued teammate? It took Z-Bo almost 10 years, and I don't recall HIM being such an ass at this point in his career.

At this rate, I'm not even sure DeMarcus Cousins is an NBA player 2 years from now. JR Rider all over again.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

a) "It happened once" does not mean "it will happen again!" That's why it's called an anecdote.

b) Randolph had 3 years before he was 25 where he shot less than 45%, true. But he also had two years before he was 25 where he shot over 48%. Don't cherry-pick, man.

c) His overall FG% from ages 20-22 was actually .490. It was only after he had already established he could perform with decent efficiency that he fell off a bit for a couple years (and still was above Cousins' career average those two seasons).