1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 12/16/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 15, 2012.

1. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

I would if I had a good quality link, this is my mindset when it was happening: why isn't Lin guarding Calderon well? Lin did pretty well on Rondo...but it's because Toronto set a million picks for Calderon and it worked really well. Lin usually has trouble fighting over screens, so this is not new. But I definitely did see the screener try to slow Lin down a ton by minor nudging and being slightly grabby...

2. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

That is because his jumper has been off, and on too many drives to the basket he runs right into the defense without anywhere to go.

3. kianainhi

kianainhi Member

I hope the coach gives Lin the green light tomorrow and let him play his game. No holds barred and just tell him to "DO IT!"

*what am I thinking"* Of course I'm being too optimistic. It will be the same shet, different day.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

2) in other games, the Raptors screener would be called because he was still moving. All of Calderon's screeners in this game never stood still with their hands down. They were actually running into Lin's way when Lin was following Calderon. when they could not get their bodies into the way, they got their arms in. I think defensive fouls should have been called many times in this game on the Raptors.

I am going to watch the game again on League Pass just to find more evidense for my statement above

5. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

lol send me a pm if you can confirm it, I'm curious to find out thanks.

6. muas2010

muas2010 Member

How can he be a weak link when he isn't a link at all? He should just take about 3 more steps and just sit on the bench.:grin:

7. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Houston loss this game in large part because of Calderon...the guy had an overall great game. The dude isn't flashy like Lowry, but keeps very good control of the game and the game ball.

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Not when the Raptors had planned to have several other players come in between to block Lin like today.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Would be glad to when I do. BTW, what do you mean by pm?

10. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Sorry, my laptop crashed and I had to run the virus software..

If you are saying that they are not using his full abilities, then I would agree. But if you are not, then maybe you could clarify.

I've said in my earlier posts that he is being underutilized right (this does not mean he's not playing enough). What I meant with the comment above is, with the sistuation he is in, that is what he is dealing with. After Harden was picked up, Lin's role was no longer the same, thus his responsiblities changed. He shoots well when he plays the combo guard position, as demonstrated in the game against the Spurs and last year. Put him in the situation now, and I think the shots he's taking are not the shots he normally would choose to take. So you end up with people hoping his shots will eventually fall.

11. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

Well, maybe coaching is still experimenting with Harden/Lin. But my personal feeling is I don't think coaching is going to force Harden to make any big adjustments, because he was signed to be the foundation of this team. Lin is just caught in a hard spot. He has to adjust because he is not in a situation where he can play at his optimal, which is the combo guard. Thus, what you see is Lin trying to get better at this new role, and people hoping his current shooting (which I don't think he normally would take many of the shots he is now taking) eventually gets better.

12. kozmo

kozmo Member

Heres a winning strat.....PLAY DEFENSE! were 3 rd in the NBA in scoring...yet were sitting here talking about how come we lose? DEFENSE>>.....its that simple

13. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

How is it simple? I don't see any of the Rockets players slacking off on defense and yet Raptors got a lot of easy layups today.

14. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Defense comes easier when you have more time playing with each other. The teams is young so that means speed isn't an issue. More playing time together will fix some of the defense and TO issues...up to a point.

15. kozmo

kozmo Member

Because we play horrible defense..... we dont help on screens.....we cant stop teams from running. Transition d is horrible.....we score more than just about anyone....why are we losing. DEFENSE

16. howo13579

howo13579 Member

why are people blaming Lin or Harden for the loss? If you watched the game, you knew Houston lost in the paint defensively and offensively. How many times Raptors got easy dunks because Parsons, Smith, and Morris lost their man? How many times Asik was set up for easy layups or dunks but either couldn't catch the ball or couldn't finish the easy ones? Overall I think the game was lost by defense in the paint.

17. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

You don't give Houston players enough credit on defense. They actually tried very hard to play defense. They did play help defense today. On many of the screens, they rotated and stopped the drive to the basket. It is the off-ball defense that's lacking.

I'll bet you that JVG could turn this team into a top-5 defensive team in one season.

18. kozmo

kozmo Member

I have been saying this all season, this team needs a quality big

19. demarco1

demarco1 Member

it's ALL at MCHail... why? COnfident killer.. you just throw this team into the deep ocean.... Confident and expierience.. misused.. misused...

20. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Very true. If Asik doesn't improve on his finishes....it's going to be a long season. You see at least 3-4 easy shots every night that is just insane to reason why he can't finish. And damn I don't remember seeing any ally-oop with this team....except for two failed attempts from Lin to Asik and Smith.:grin: