1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Celtics @ Rockets 12/14/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2012.

1. grunky

grunky Member

hell yea! i will smile ear to ear if i can see some rockets playoff action

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

And we're the youngest team in the league with the largest roster turnover and we have a .500 record. That's pretty damn good. Our future is bright. :grin:

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Oh I heard about that but people get sad for many reasons.

4. torocan

torocan Member

Lin played combo guard (both positions) at Harvard because he was not only the best scorer, but the best PG as well.

As a result in order to maximize overall talents, they had their 2nd PG sharing PG duties with Lin so that he wouldn't be double-teamed as often. In other words, Lin was the Harden on his team, except he was by far the best SG AND PG on the team.

On the Rockets, Lin is the best PG, but he's far from the best SG. On the other hand, there are tons of better shooting guards than Delfino OR Toney Douglas in the NBA.

So if the long term is to slide Harden over to the 1, then Lin becomes redundant, and both Delfino AND Douglas become a drag on the team. There are FAR better shooting guards that you can acquire for even part of what the Rockets are paying Lin.

5. instar

instar Member

even if we get swept, there are a lot of guy in this roaster who didn't even sniff the playoffs so it's gonna be good for them to have even one series. just make the playoffs guys!

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I was surprised to see harden was in the top of NBA in turnovers, I never realized he turned over the ball so much lol. Plus we have Lin who was known to turn over the ball a lot last year

7. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

So ... trade Lin?

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It would be good to give these rookies some playoff experience

9. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

The issue with Lin on this board is sad.

Yes, there are Lin only fans that really need to tone it down, but there are also so many posters here in general just hating on Lin but hiding it behind the 'we're Rockets team supporters' line. And we don't even need to pretend it doesn't exist.

We pretty much all think the coaching stuff has so far not done a good job, but if it's playing Harden to death, not putting Asik back in the game for rebounding/defense with the game on the line and Rockets leading, playing Delfino when he isn't hitting the shots, or not playing rookies much, it's okay to bash the coaches. But if it is benching Lin or not allowing Lin to play PG, people automatically become Lin only fans. And they need to GTFO.

And let's talk about Toney Douglas. Do you guys realize he's shooting 37% on FGs this year, vs Lin around 40%? And Douglas has consistently shot a worse FG% than Lin throughout the year? As Douglas has shot better, Lin has also in the same stretch? And Douglas is most obviously a worse defender than Lin by both the eye-test, synergy stats, and in terms of the opposing PG/player having scored much more on him than Lin (Rondo, Mayo, Lillard, you name it).

Douglas entered the 4Q with similar meh FGM/FGA vs Lin, but Lin was having a much better game facilitating, rebounding and playing defense, and at best Douglas is really just a shorter version of Luther Head as an undersized SG who can easily be out of the league when his current contract is over, why shouldn't both fans of Lin and the Houston Rockets expect the coaches to play Lin at least a decent amount of time in the 4Q, from perspectives of development, and based on their actual in game performance? I don't see that as against the Rockets team best interests, especially as they in invested a significant contract and part of salary cap hoping Lin can continue to develop on his season with the Knicks.

Yes we all know Lin and Harden haven't meshed well, but it took lebron/wade 1.5 seasons and durante/Westbrook/harden even longer (the first year all 3 were together OKC wasn't even close to .500). The only way we'll ever find out if Lin/Harden can co-exist, is to go through some growing pains. Better now than later. Especially when Lin showed that his performances last year weren't a total fluke in the Spurs game.

It's also a joke here that people who have joined after Jul 2012 can't be displeased about Harden iso-ball or Toney Douglas, but those before can. Just like they can't be displeased about the coaching staff's use of Lin, but others can about Jones or DMo or Smith, who have proven far less than Lin.

I find it a joke that some poster can join for a couple of days and decide there's only two types of posters here. Lin fans and Rockets team fans. That is way off the mark. They are just as many Rockets fans who would prefer Lin to do poorly to match their eye-test, even if it's not in the Rockets best interest, as well as those obvious Lin-only-haters who hide behind the "we're fans of Houston Rockets only" line.

The other joke here is that fans of Lin can't want Jeremy Lin to be traded, but fans of the Rockets first actually wouldn't mind (or prefer) Lin to be traded.

If you really are a fan of the Houston Rockets, you Better realize the coaching staff has every reason to continue to play Lin, and based on the crap shooting, defense, playmaking (and replaceability) of Toney Douglas, not many to play him let alone over Lin and in crucial minutes. Don't tell me you can't find an undersized (or not) SG with meh defense and no playmaking skills that can shoot more than 37% on FG.

And enough with the "but he hit two crucial shots" in the 4Q crap. That's hindsight. And Douglas played a stinker up to that point.

#1349 mike_lu, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    3 people like this.
  10. roxxy

roxxy Member

I totally agree with you I rolled my eyes at that post it is nonsense. But once again both sides are contributing to the hot mess that is the garm. SOME of the lof are way to passionate. And as a result the Rockets Only Fans lower themselves to that level. Both parties are guilty of this. I learned at a young age that two wrongs do not make a right. I am sick of it all, it is childish & immature. Maybe I am being a d*ck & overreacting myself I don't know. Like I said my day has been miserable.

11. instar

instar Member

last year lin had the ball a lot in his hand, this year harden has the ball a lot in his hand. he'll get better. i just want other guys don't turn it over.

12. torocan

torocan Member

It depends on whether the coaches are smart enough to make it work.

If the coaches aren't, then there's only a few possible outcomes.

1) Move Lin to 2nd unit.
    2) Alternate possessions.
    3) Trade Lin for a better shooting guard and dump Douglas. Possibly keep Delfino on the bench.
    4) Fire McHale and replace him with a strong X's and O's coach who can find a way to make it work.

And for those who think Lowry is going to work, Lowry is worthless if you turn him into a pure shooting guard. Lowry's strength is PnR drives to the rim. He needs the ball as much as Lin.

Dragic would be a better fit than Lowry, but still not ideal.

You'd really want a shooting guard and a semi-competent back up point guard who can relieve Harden's minutes, but also be a perimeter shooter. Chris Duhon and Ramon Sessions for example come to mind.

1 person likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I could've sworn we won tonight. WOW.

14. peter2012

peter2012 Member

If you watched the game, you would know how he got his points.

15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Member

Honestly...yeah.

I don't dislike you as a poster. You and torocan obviously have your agendas but are level headed and provide substance to the GARM. It's a better place with you in it.

That's not to say that I agree with you very often when it comes to #7. But whatever. I don't think he's quite "there" yet. I'm not sure his first few games will ever even be approached with any regularity again. But, I hope that he blows those games out of the water. The difference between me, some of the more seasoned posters and this new batch is that I'm not so sure that they would be as pleased if Douglas or even Machado blew up. I don't care as long as we win.

Keep posting.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

Thanks Mike Lu. It is ok for mike lu or anybody else with a longer join date to say exactly what the LOF's are saying & yet they receive no backlash. But when somebody with a 2012 join date says it the common response is STFU dumb Lin Fans.

Once again I want to be judged by the content of my post not by my join date. This player only fan stuff is so dumb. In my opinion either you are a good poster decent poster or ignored, when you joined who your favourite player is, is unimportant to me.

Just a few thoughts.

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Comment 1: That Parsons steal into a fast break kickout to Toney Douglas for three in the 4th quarter was my favorite moment.

Comment 2: Greg Smith has great hands. Somebody posted some draft combine numbers on Smith that showed that he had basically the biggest hand span of anybody ever, and it really shows. You throw that man the ball and he catches it, in his catcher's mitt like paws. And then he dunks it. And if you foul him, he makes his free throws. It's a really nice change of pace from the stone-handed rebounding machine that is Asik.

I want to see more of Greg Smith. I think it wins basketball games.

18. nono

nono Member

Lol Jimmer Fredette will be better than Lowry, Dragic or Lin for this team because he can just shoot better, even though he does nothing else. Coaches just want someone who can shoot, which is why Douglas was kept in even though he had 0 assists.

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Sorry...long read but good read!

20. sidestep

sidestep Member

No 2012 poster can say this, though much of it is obvious, without getting shouted down. That's the state of this board.