1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Are Minorities "Proud" of their Heritage and does that Pride Cause Problems?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Please excuse the radical title, but it is about all I could fit. I bring this up based upon the discussion about Rob Parker of ESPN's ignorant comments about RGIII (discussion found here).

As a white guy, born and raised in the Houston area, surrounded by minorities - racism isn't something I experience daily. Obviously, being white I don't think I can experience racism to the degree as Blacks or Hispanics but what I mean is I don't experience people being racist all that often. I know racism still exists, and I know it is horrible... I'm not trying to deny it.

I was one of a handful of white kids in a school for 2+ years, so I'm well aware of racism. I've been beaten up and robbed of my lunch money because I was white. I also live in an area of town where only 7% of the population is white (77036 -Hispanic, Black and Korean). I get looked at funny when I go in to the La Michoacana at the end of my street all the time, but **** their marinated fajita meat is awesome.

I personally believe that some of the aspects of the "proud culture" of Blacks, Hispanics, Indians or anything else actually helps perpetuation or racism. As a white guy, I like to think of race along the same lines as Morgan Freeman. Don't even acknowledge race, and it eventually won't even play a role.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I3cGfrExozQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The bottom line is, the vast majority of America's population arrived in the United States post Civil War and had nothing to do with slavery. My family personally came from Canada in the 1880s. Compounding that, fewer and fewer people alive today were around during segregation. I realize segregation was only 1-2 generations ago, but as a nearly 34 year old white man I know nothing of it personally nor do most minorities today. Yes your parents or grand parents probably experienced it, but nothing I can say or do will ever change that.

With that said, there is clearly a two way street when it comes to racism. If large numbers of blacks are really chastising RGIII because he chose a white wife and he didn't vote for Obama, how is that in and of itself not racist? You are judging someone based upon the color of his soon to be wife's skin and the color of his friend's skin. How is only voting for Obama because he is black not racist? How is completely ignoring the fact that Obama is half white not racism?

I know this is a complex and sensitive subject, and I'm not going to rattle off that I've never dropped an n-bomb and that I have a token black friend. The only reason I truly ever think of race is because people of other races bring it up. I don't live in the back woods with KKK members and my grand parents are all dead so I don't experience racist people all that often, and when I do I just ignore them and call them ignorant as they are.

I'm sure some people will be like "You don't know how it feels to have your parents or grand parents treated like **** through segregation" or "You don't know how it feels to have a white woman be scared of you." This is true, but I also feel the only way we will ever get past that is to ignore the issue of race all together like Mr. Freeman suggests.

As a white guy I know I have a leg up, and I don't want that to be the case. To be fair my family was poor as hell, so never silver spoon or trust fund here.

I guess I just want to get feedback from minorities on how they view race so I can have a better understanding of where the hell we go from here as a country.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qg48ZZ2wYfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

And here. We. Go.

3. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I don't think anyone would argue that that isn't racism. When you say "large number" I don't think it's actually a large number. A couple of ignorant people made that comment, that isn't reflective of the entire race.

4. Major

Major Member

This is an interesting theory, but all the progress minorities have ever made in society has been by fighting for it and standing up to unfairness or injustice. The idea that pretending everything is great will cause things to improve doesn't seem to be founded in much of anything.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are proud because of the accomplishments they have achieved, I would guess.

It is no problem. Also the increased odds they faced because of their minority status is something to be proud of.

I see absolutely no problem with it at all.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's a holdover from being economically and politically marginalized, and residentially quarantined since the 1850s. It didn't help that the political and legal processes for personal enrichment were futile for a long enough time to develop a vibrant protest movement, and that for whatever reason certain minority cultural traits and artistic contributions were given disproportionate acceptance by the majority race both socially and commercially. Minority neighborhoods have the most history and deepest roots because colored districts and wards were a zoning and planning necessity before anything else. Incidentally from personal experience I can tell you that I have little minority pride as it were because my parents were immigrants and educated/professionally successful enough for the time frame to neither identify with nor have to physically live, worship or have us learn in minority-laden environments.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I guess you never heard of the Jim Crow laws. Segregated but equal was the biggest sham passed in order to justify such horrible set of laws in the South. The biggest impact was on education. Black schools only received TEN PERCENT of the funding as white only schools in their respected districts and this ended only ONE generation ago. You don't think some black people have animosity towards that type of blatant evil and pass that animosity on to their children?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Minorities are still discriminated against. There is little doubt about it.

http://rollingout.com/politics/empl...ecord-so-how-will-blacks-feed-their-families/

Here we see a woman named Yolanda didn't get near the response despite having the same resume as a woman that was white.

http://www.brandnewz.com/?p=13419

For more than 400 years blacks were either enslaved, prevented from voting, and legally oppressed in this nation. They were denied an equal education. Somehow you think roughly 50 years of changed legislation makes up for that? That's incredibly naive. Furthermore, as the studies show, blacks are still discriminated against when it comes to employment.

9. Svpernaut

It's a large number, just like me saying there aren't plenty of closet white racists out there. Is it a majority? Of course not, but there are large numbers on both sides of the aisle.

They should fight for injustice, but as an American, not as a black man, or a white man or a Hispanic man. We've gotten to the point where people outside of your own color will rally your cause, so why limit it to that?

I am a history buff, and I can appreciate that greatly. However, I do believe that it should be treated as American history, not black history or the like. Of course I'm looking at it from the other side of the aisle, but so are the majority of Americans who aren't minorities.

This is pretty great, never even really took the zoning aspect in to it. With that said, except in the largest of inner cities I think this is becoming less and less of an issue as minorities hit the suburbs and whites move inward.

I simply don't buy the economic struggles aspect of it anymore. I know kids lost in the inner city have a tough time climbing out, but I also know I lived under the poverty line, had a deadbeat father, was raised by a single mother and became something of myself. The American dream is real, and if people choose to ignore that and feel sorry for themselves, so be it.

10. Svpernaut

Never said they weren't, as I know that they are. Just pointing out that I think a faster way of getting over it is simply ignoring that race is even an issue, and eventually it won't be.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's an opinion that you're entitled to. I think a faster way to get over would be to highlight problem, shine a bright light on it, and work to eliminate it, as much as possible.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'm definitely on your side with this idea. What is often taught as black history should be taught in standard history. But we've already seen certain Republicans going crazy and protesting when it's shown that Ben Franklin was a racist, who published racist writings etc.

It's crazy. The accomplishments minorities achieved against greater odds should be part of standard history, absolutely.

13. Svpernaut

Being a white person, I've heard from many white people that would disagree. I know people who aren't racist that look at the "history months" and go, "WTF?" They then feel that if they question those motives they'd immediately be called a racist, so it is a no-win scenario for them.

I also know people who are completely annoyed that Obama is considered black when he is half white. Wouldn't it go better for race relations if that was the championed fact? "Look, a kid from a mixed relationship became the President of the United States?"

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is a case of seeing what you want to see or at the very least not seeing the full picture. This whole proud heritage thing extends all over hell. The Irish, the Italians, the Greeks, the Germans, the Russians, etc. etc. Everyone is proud of their heritage. Narrowing it down to people of color just highlights the racist mindset endemic to this topic.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism

Basic human nature, safety and comfort in being part of a group. The more superficial the association (like skin tone) the easier it is to become part of it. Jocks, goths, same idea.

If whites were a minority you would see the same dynamic at play.

It's why we take pride in our sports teams we have no impact on.

16. Svpernaut

Didn't say that wasn't the case and I didn't limit it to just people of color. With that said, I know far more Irish, Italians, and other people with European backgrounds than blacks yet I never hear them say a word about it. With the exception of food or liquor, they never bring up race or their countries. They don't just sit around and say "WOOOHOOO ITALY!" unless it is the World Cup.

I disagree that it highlights the racist mindset endemic to this topic. That's the point. As a white dude, I can't even bring up race without being labeled a racist... even though I did so due to clearly racist remarks from a black man on television. That is the issue, people are quick to get defensive when honest questions are asked... that is why race shouldn't even be a part of it.

I'm not racist, and simply because I ask questions challenging how things are handled by another race doesn't me make me one either.

17. Svpernaut

I said I experience it all the time, just being where I live. I of course only "vacation" as a minority, I don't live it. I have no doubt it is tougher being a person of color, thus the reason trying to find ways to remedy that quicker.

18. Major

Major Member

Who is limiting it? Do you think that black people don't want white people fighting for equality alongside them?

Injustice is going to be a personal issue to most black people - how are they supposed to pretend it's not? And why should they?

1 person likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

To me that sounds like part of the reason why we should highlight it. It sounds like those white people are ignorant of what challenges and injustices minorities have faced, and do face today. I think anyone who understands that even in the slightest wouldn't have any objection at all to black history month or anything remotely along the same lines.

The same goes for the people who want to focus on Obama being half white. Every classroom he walked into, Obama was seen as black. Every job interview he went to, he was seen as black. Every stranger he approached, or that saw him, saw him as black.

Obama himself has brought up race less than any Democrat since 1961. He's gone out of his way not to bring up his black heritage. So if any white people get mad at him, then that's their misdirected ignorance, and not the fault of any minority.

2 people like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Wait - first you wanted us to all ignore race, but now you want him to highlight it? He's basically lived the way you were talking about - he rarely brings up race or heritage. It's other people that consistently do it.