1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. meh

meh Member

It doesn't matter. Basketball defense and offense are intertwined. You can't play a certain style that favors offense, without giving up a certain amount of defense. The only way to break that balance is to have more talented players. Specifically, great, two-way players.

I think of it a bit like Production Probability Frontier in economics. The best a coach can do is to get the team to produce at the edge of that frontier. But in order to improve further, you need better basketball talent.

Until we have championship caliber talent, you simply cannot expect great offense and a great defense. You can look back in NBA history and not find a single team with both, and doesn't have elite talent to go along with it.

2. Grigori

Grigori Member

It is true that they were both flawed, and we complained about their flaws. We simply didn't know that we would be replacing flawed coaches with utterly incompetent coaches. I have not seen coaching this bad since, well, actually, I have never seen coaching this bad, not even Paul Westphal was this bad. Thanks, Morey.

3. sammy

sammy Member

I'm sorry but this shouldn't matter.

A lot of people wanted Mchale fired before his daughter passed away. I'm not sure how it's relevant tbh. He's not a good NBA head coach. End of story.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Amen to more talent. In this case, it's both the chicken and the egg. The coaching matters a lot in 1) having a great system in place that can benefit the assistant coaches and players if they are bought into it, 2) developing young players who have talent to get the most out of that talent, 3) properly motivating players in both practice and game time to buy into this system, and 4) putting the right combination of players and plays into the game to produce wins.

I don't expect much more than what we have in the W-L record with this talented, but raw group. Even if we had great coaching and a system best suited to this group of players, we still need one or two more high-caliber players to put us over the top.

I think we'll get there...it's still too soon to throw the baby out with the bath water. That's why I've avoided making any knee-jerk threads myself and acting like this team's output is so surprising, when really this is what we've been expecting.

Hey, we're no worse than the Fakers - that's a train wreck and it's fun to watch.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Was referring to Meh comment about "without healthy Yao/T-Mac" years.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

7. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

The Rockets looked better the first two games of the season before the coaching staff could integrate Harden into their system. If that isn't an indictment about the crappy coaching, I don't know what is. It's like the team would have played better if the coaches just got out of the way and let the players figure it out themselves.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

That's stupid.

The only reason we won the first 2 games was because Harden was unstoppable on offense. There were problems before and there are problems now. The first 2 games are, for lack of a better word, fool's gold. It represents an unscouted team whose offense was completely reliant on one player, not that it's too much different now.

9. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Try making one post without attacking a person or an idea with some sort of hostile comment. In other words, try not being a flaming ahole.

Regarding your actual post, do you not think the coaching staff has anything to do with whether or not Harden is "unstoppable on offense"? If he and the team is more successful before than after they rework their system for him, that does not speak well for the coaching.

10. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

He's right.

11. albuster

albuster Member

Pretty sensible post.

12. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Repped for truth.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Are you always this defensive when somebody thinks your ideas are stupid? Why don't you read my other posts instead of making accusations that I'm "hostile". In other words, stop being so sensitive.

Regarding the content. Who says the system has been "reworked"? Harden PnR killed Detroit the first game, and offensive rebounds killed Atlanta the second. You are just making some random assumption that the offense has been reworked in the third game, with absolutely no basis behind it. If anything, our team and players were scouted out.

14. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

I disagree. The first two games Lin and Harden shared playmaking responsibilities and presented a more diversified attack that freed Harden up for more open looks. He is easier to shut down when everything flows through him.

15. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

You two need to quit baiting each other before Clutch comes in and bans you both for acting like spoiled children.

16. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Disagree about what? You just proved the point you were trying to refute.

17. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Has Morey ever fired any head coaches before? If not, why do fans here think McHale would get fired? Considering Morey's style, unless McHale himself resigns, there will be no firing in the process for the next 2 years (McHale's contract is 3 years, right?). Accept the reality. Stop daydreaming.

In that SI article, Les said he would give 2 years before changing direction. So I guess if in 2 years, we don't get good result, i.e. getting into the playoffs and having decent run, then expect major change: coach, roster... Even Morey could be gone ;)

18. Commodore

Commodore Member

where are we weakest, talent wise?

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The youngest team in the league is one game under .500.

FIRE THE COACH!!!!

20. Jas

Jas Member

Fire Mcfail!
    Now!