1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Not but 30 seconds after posting, the Kats get a turnover and then promptly punch it in to push the lead to 27-9. That's huge.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So much for that momentum MSU had out of halftime. SHSU has put it to them since. 34-9 in the 4th.

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Kats win. I'll be watching that EWU game tomorrow...

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll be rooting hard for Illinois State against EWU. Not only is it my Dad's alma mater, but if they win, SHSU gets another home game.

6. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Are they in playoff right? If they win next game, they will be in FCS Championship? Who's next?

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Yay, my ole college team won...even watched it here in Nashville. :)

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great win. They had Bell make some throws while rolling out of the pocket which I've been wanting them to do more of for a while now. The defense played fantastically. And Flanders did what we needed him to do on the ground. Great game all around.

You can watch the game on ESPN.com if you missed it.

Here's to hoping Illinois State beats Eastern Washington tonight. That would make the next game in Huntsville.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Correct. One more win and they are in the championship game again. They will play the winner of Eastern Washington and Illinois State, who play today at 5PM on ESPN3.com.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Eastern Washington beat Illinois State, 51-35. Not a surprise. Now the Bearkats will have to win another on the road. This time on an ugly red field. The game will be at 3:00pm on ESPNU on Saturday (and online at ESPN3). E. Wash is apparently a big time passing offense, so that scares me for the matchup. But their defense is ranked even worse than SE Louisiana, who we beat 70-0. Could be a high scoring game. Here is some dude's breakdown of the game: http://youtu.be/-zb2GZl06gc

On the other end of the bracket, NDSU beat Wofford 14-7 and Georgia Southern beat Old Dominion 49-35. NDSU will be the host when these two meet up on Friday at 7:00pm on ESPN2.

11. leroy

I like his prediction of a rematch in the championship game. It'll be another very cold game. I'm someone that works in the synthetic turf industry and that field is horrendous. The funny thing is, it's no where near the worst. Look up Central Arkansas' field and a small school called Lindenwood University.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How sweet was it watching little ol' Sam Houston State in crystal clear HD? Too bad Saturday's game is on ESPNU which, at least on my provider, isn't in HD. You would think they would show both semi-final games on regular ESPN or ESPN2 at least.

Had a blast watching Friday night. Got a little too drunk though, but it was still fun.

I'm feeling pretty good about this next game. Some of you younger guys won't remember, but back in 2004 we played Eastern Washington in the playoffs and we staged one of the most exciting comebacks I've ever seen on any level. I listened on the radio and lost my voice I was yelling so loud.

Hopefully we won't need anything like that on Saturday. I'd like to see Flanders and Sincere running all over that defense.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I remember Central Arkansas' field from earlier this year. My shoddy internet feed + their hideous field + blowing the lead in the game = me feeling nauseated.

On a related note, this is the first time I've really taken notice of other FCS teams' stadiums and how ours doesn't really even compare to those. We are in need of an upgrade if we want a consistently good football program. (And why shouldn't we be a good football program? In Texas and the Southland Conference is lacking a perennial top dog.) I don't like seeing the track around the football field. Many high schools don't even have that anymore.

I think we'd either need to greatly renovate the current one or just build another. The screen and the sound system are pure crap. But if another was built, I don't know where it would go.

Any of you guys ever thought about this?

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

It's funny you bring up the Kats playing in HD. I'm so used to watching their games either in person, on grainy internet feeds or on Channel 55 that I find watching them play on TV in HD really weird.

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Caught the first half of last week's game on a cross-country flight on United after I *rented* the Directv feature. Probably will be one of those games I remember all my life. Was completely at peace watching the game while the time flew by.

I like Sam Houston this weekend. They really appear to be a team on a mission and it seems like they are firing on all cylinders right now...even in the frigid weather. I think this team is even better than last year's NC runner-up.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Here's a pretty good video about the game I was talking about above:

<object width="480" height="301" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.gobearkats.com/mediaPortal/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="id=1136024&server=http://www.gobearkats.com/XML/titanv3/&pageurl=http://www.gobearkats.com/mediaPortal/&jtv=19900&sitename=jtvs.19900.samhoustonbearkats&adsportid=sports.m.football&gaa=UA-9173576-1" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://www.gobearkats.com/mediaPortal/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="301" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="id=1136024&server=http://www.gobearkats.com/XML/titanv3/&pageurl=http://www.gobearkats.com/mediaPortal/&jtv=19900&sitename=jtvs.19900.samhoustonbearkats&adsportid=sports.m.football&gaa=UA-9173576-1"></embed></object>

17. leroy

Looking forward to tomorrow. Had my knee scoped today so nothing better to do than lay on the couch and watch some football.

EAT EM UP KATS

18. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

It's on right now on ESPNU.

The red grass surface in East Washington is an eyesore.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I watched this video when the SHSU Athletics Twitter feed posted it a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it.

It speaks to how good a game it was that I was only a junior in high school with no intentions to end up at SHSU at the time and I remember exactly where I was while watching that game. I was glued.

20. leroy

Playing great on both sides so far. Defense is just dominating.

EDIT: and now it's 28-0 Kats. EWU changing qbs.

#80 leroy, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012