1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luck vs. RG3

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SK34, Dec 2, 2012.

?

LUCK or RG3

1. Luck

45 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. RG3

51 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The trouble with RG3 is the same trouble with all running QBs--they don't last long in pro football. There are numerous examples.

That's not to say RG3 can't have a great career, but if he does, he needs to focus much more on passing and run the ball a lot less.

This is the same forum which was salivating over VY and look how he ended up.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

This forum was salivating over VY because it was full of homers, Titan holdovers, and UT fanboys. This place isn't exactly drowning in Baylor grads. VY wasn't done in by injuries or concussions, he just sucked and eventually got exposed after playing on great teams that covered up his weaknesses. Griffin is the absolute real deal, and in no way comparable to VY.

3. emjohn

emjohn Member

I don't think that's a completely accurate assessment. They retained names that were assumed to move away from a rebuild, like Wayne and Mathis. Most of the guys they let go were getting older (Garcon a big exception).

I still don't see a need to pick one or the other. They're both incredible rookies with very bright futures.

RG3 has been nothing less than a sensation, even dealing with a questionable line, WR injuries, and a dubious coaching job by the Shanahan family.

Sits just a hair under Manning and Brady in QBR, bests them in TD/INT ratio, bests them in YPA, and is an astounding playmaker that has awareness and poise that exceeds a lot of vets.

Luck doesn't have as sexy a stat line, but he's definitely winning and leading. Bears and Jets made him look bad, and he's thrown a good number of INTs. But that's part of the natural learning curve with rookies. He's piling up huge yardage and is being thrown into the fire - tied for second in pass attempts this year. That's tremendous faith the Colts are putting in a rookie.

Looking forward to watching both careers develop!

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I can't think of any significant substraction from the Redskins. Tim Hightower? Ryan Torain?

Meanwhile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Indianapolis_Colts_season#Personnel_changes

There is an argument to be made that the Redskins have suffered far more impactful injuries this season than the Colts, but otherwise, not so much.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Member

The most important thing for Colts this off season is to upgrade the offensive line, it is beyond bad. Luck is constantly running for his live.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

rgiii is vick with accuracy and that equals steve young. He is the evolution of steve young who might have been the greatest ever if he didnt have to sit behind the greatest ever. On a side notr i dont care if someone is in the division i want to see greatness. I miss you vy

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bird and Magic all over again.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The colts are getting "lucky" this year. They have have -41 point differential and are 8-4. The fact is unlike MLB or NBA, bad teams can have good season since the sample size is so small. Even the astros probably had a a 16 game stretch where they were 10-6, but they played a 162 games and lost well over a 100 games. A few years ago chiefs went 10-6 and I don't think KC was ever a good team.

The colts could be better next year with more talent, but they are getting a lot of "luck" this year.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Member

I agree, I watch them every week and I think Washington is a much better team talent wise. Colts are winning because of Luck:grin: pun intended.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Indy has the second weakest schedule in the league behind Atlanta and tied with Cincy. They have one win against a team with a winning record and it was against Green Bay when Green Bay could stop anyone at the beginning of the season.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Because RG3 runs so much, he is going to get hit more, which will make him last less (that's not what she said) in the league. :eek: One of these days, someone's going to legally hit him EXTREMELY HARD, and that will be the end of it.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Member

That's one thing I do not understand. Why does Washington want him to run so many designed QB running plays, he obvious can pass well, so why not let him be a pocket passer and run as surprise play or when necessary? Why risk your QB on so many running plays every game?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Because it opens everything up for Morris. There is always a linebacker spying him which is one less linebacker that can tackle Morris.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Yes, but how long does the typical running QB last in the NFL? Seems very short sighted to me.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I cant believe people who actually watch actual nfl football actually use the he is actually a good runner therefore he actually wont last long arguement. The only qb tha applies to recentli is vick and thats because he actually runs as much as a running back

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and has swiss cheese for a line

Rocket River

17. Major

Major Member

How many running QBs have there been that could throw the ball extremely well? Most running QBs' careers end because they suck at throwing the ball rather than injury.

What running QB can you name who's career came to an early end thanks to running too much?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hard to think of any significant subtraction when there isn't much of significance there in the first place.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

He also has thrown nearly 200 passes LESS. The workload on Luck is unprecedented for a rookie.

While their schedule isn't the toughest, the Colts have beaten the Vikings, Green Bay, Miami, Buffalo, and recently the LIons on the road. Those are good and competitive teams.

The Colts just suck on the road, primarily b/c they are a very young team. This Lions win was very surprising to me.

B/c their 3 losses on the road have been HUGE blowouts (Bears, Jets, patriots). That skews the point differential. Those 3 losses alone were by 69 points combined.

#99 t_mac1, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The Bills, Dolphins, Lions, and Vikings are not good teams.

They are bad, bad, below-average, and average (at best).

The difference in schedule between the Colts and Skins really is quite significant and does explain a lot of the differing fate of the two teams.