1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's what I think. I'm not sure anyone can stop them right now...assuming they come out playing like they did before the A&M game.

On another note...I was shocked (SHOCKED) to see an actual SHSU section at the Academy in The Woodlands (location by the mall...not the one at Rayford). I have never seen SHSU gear anywhere other than in Huntsville or online.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Apparently Willie Fritz will be interviewing for the UTEP head coaching job. A list of those UTEP would like to interview:

Andre Patterson, defensive coordinator, UTEP.
    Willie Fritz, head coach, Sam Houston State.
    Sean Kugler, offensive line coach, Pittsburgh Steelers. Played at UTEP for current athletic director Bob Stull.
    Dirk Koetter, offensive coordinator, Atlanta Falcons. Former UTEP assistant under current athletic director Bob Stull.
    Marty Mornhinweg, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles. Former graduate assistant at UTEP under current athletic director Bob Stull.
    Jeff Grimes, offensive line coach, Auburn. Played at UTEP for current athletic director Bob Stull.
    Dave Toub, special teams coach, Chicago Bears. UTEP alum coached here for current athletic director Bob Stull.
    Mike Stoops, defensive coordinator, Oklahoma. Former Arizona head coach.
    Kliff Kingsbury, offensive coordinator, Texas A&M.
    Mark Snyder, defensive coordinator, Texas A&M.
    Major Applewhite, co-offensive coordinator, Texas.
    Tom Herman, offensive coordinator, Ohio State.
    Vic Koenning, defensive coordinator, North Carolina.
    Brent Venables, defensive coordinator, Clemson.
    Michael Haywood, former head coach Pitt, Miami (Ohio).

And, according to some random poster on Katfans who claims to be a So Miss fan, Fritz has come up in discussions for that job too. Georgia St has supposedly reached out to him as well.

#42 Haymitch, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. leroy

Guess that's what comes with success. If he leaves, at least the next coach will inherit a still very good team. Flanders, Sincere, and Bell will be seniors. Will have some significant losses in defense, though.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ugh....I was afraid this was going to happen. Wouldn't surprise me if UTEP isn't the only school to go after him in the next few months. Frankly, I think he'd be the perfect fit for UH, but let's keep that to ourselves.....

I just hope we can keep him for 1 more year until Flanders leaves. However, if we win the NC this year, he has my permission to go anywhere he wants. :)

I just want 1 NC before we have to start over again.

So, is this game going to be on TV? I keep checking the listing for KUBE and at 3pm it just says "to be determined" from 3 to 6. Wonder if they will show the game?

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm pretty sure the game is only going to be on ESPN3.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

En route. Going to Panchitos for $2 margaritas then to the stadium. Got reserved seats so I don't have to get there early. Hope it doesn't rain!

Eat 'em up!

7. leroy

Defensive struggle so far. Sam just scored the first td of the game going into the fourth quarter and lead 15-6

8. leroy

BEARKATS WIN!

It was ugly and kind of boring...but a win is a win.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Frustrating game to watch, but I'll take a win any day.

Up next is Montana St. They also squeaked by their opponent today, Stony Brook, winning 16-10.

I assume it will be pretty cold in Montana. That should be something different for our guys.

::EDIT::

Game against Montana St will be at 7:00 pm on Friday on ESPN 2.

#49 Haymitch, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. ima_drummer2k

Followed the game on ESPN Gamecast while at a gig. Got a little nervous when I saw the score change from 18-9 to 18-16. I figured the game was over when I saw 18-9 with less than 2 minutes left. I was having serious UCA flashbacks....

Friday should be interesting. I think we are the better team, but playing on the road with weather possibly being a factor could play a part. Good news is that's it's on a Friday and I'll actually be able to watch.

11. leroy

What radio station would that be on in the Houston area? I'll be driving in to The Woodlands from Round Rock that night and want to at least listen.

12. ima_drummer2k

Probably no local radio, but if you're going to be driving north of Houston (which you are), you may be able to pick up 90.5 in Huntsville. I'm sure they'll have the game.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When I listened to a Huntsville broadcast online I think it was 101.7 KSAM. Not 100% sure though.

I would recommend downloading the iHeartRadio app on your smartphone and seeing if these stations are accessible through it. You could at least listen to the game through your phone if that's the case.

14. ima_drummer2k

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was unaware of that site. Cool find.

Check out this handsome devil with a little ladyfriend who pretends to care:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

[​IMG]

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

It's going to be a tough, tough task for the Bearkats tonight. Beating Montana State would be tough enough, but adding in the snow and cold makes it even tougher.

With all that being said, I couldn't be more excited to watch the game tonight and I'm hopeful the team will overcome the odds.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The good guys lead 17-3 late in the first half and are threatening to score again.

It looks like they caught a break weather-wise. I'm sure it's still brutally cold, but the snow has held off.

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

20-3 at the half. Kats get the ball to start the second half.

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

A converted fake punt on what turned out to be a touchdown drive has been a turning point in this game. Momentum is with MSU at this point, although a great Matt Foster punt has the Bobcats backed up as I type.