1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge Could Inevitably Become Available Soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I would think that Portland would want in return for Aldridge a package similar to what we sent OKC for Harden. We gave OKC two first round picks a second round pick a promising young player in Lamb and a quality veteran in Martin.

If the Rockets were to make a trade I would expect them to probably get a third team involved and we would lose Parsons and a whole lot more. Patterson, D-Mo, TJones could all be gone. It would take a huge offer to pry Aldridge away from Portland.

2. meh

meh Member

And absolutely ZERO chance Morey would go for it. More teams will lust after Aldridge than Harden because Aldridge is a starter, accomplished, and 6-11 big. While Harden was a 6th man half the national 'experts' pegged as being a 3rd fiddle type player not even worth a max contract.

That's why Morey was the only team that gave OKC what Harden a package fit for a superstar. But plenty of teams will give Portland similar package, and can beat us out in any bidding.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Member

I disagree. Morey would be all over a potential Aldridge deal and anyone is probably on the table except Harden.

Harden is younger and cheaper which is more valuable. Plenty of teams wanted Harden.

Its just going to come down to what Portland is looking for and what their goals are.

Unless someone is willing to offer a top 5 pick, I think Dmo/Jones/Patterson/Parsons is a very attractive package.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Geez, you'd seriously give all of that for LMA? I think you'd have to consider offering some combination of prospects, but Parsons should be off the table unless he only comes packaged with one other piece... and maybe not even then. That Parsons contract is ridiculously good for the production he offers.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I hope this Aldridge dream comes true. I wish we had taken Meyers Leonard in the draft and I wish it even more now.

6. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

This is one of those situations where it is best to wait it out. Aldridge has been having a down season and the Blazers new system does not maximize his production. If the Rockets can increase the value of the youngsters and Aldridge has a down and unhappy season, the environment becomes better from the Rockets perspective. Also would be good to ensure Aldridge isn't a major injury concern.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Good Gawd, I like LMA, too, but to give up two potential future LaMarcus Aldridges (Dmo and Jones) and a decent PF (Patterson) AND our starting 3?

May I quote my favorite comic, Bernie Mac (RIP)? "Sh*****y****i***."

If we did this, the other GMs would say, "See? Moneyball is a crock after all."

Once it's established that Dmo and Jones can play, THEN Morey will make a move (his plan is to develop and trade players), and we won't see such rape-me-please offers out there.

I'd take LaMarcus because we need to aim for a 4/5. I'd prefer Al Horford, giving cap relief and young players in return, and help Atlanta rob the LA teams of CP3 and DH12 next year. But LaMarcus will do. For the right price.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Not necessarily ALL of that, but I think we have the pieces to get a deal done. Ideally, Lin and his salary go out so we have more cap room to fill in the pieces around a core of JH and LMA.

Morey has proven he can pick up role players and filler guys. Just look at the rotation players he has picked up relatively easy in the past 5 or so years:

Landry
    Camby
    Lee
    Ariza
    Martin
    Brooks
    Dragic
    Lowry
    Hill
    Patterson
    Delfino
    Parsons
    Morris
    Dmo
    Jones
    Budinger

Those players seem to be easily findable and easily replaceable according to Morey's record, whereas guys like Harden and Aldridge are not.

No, in my opinion you do whatever it takes (as long as it doesn't hinder building around those guys, IE bad contracts) to land Aldridge and then fill in the pieces afterwards through free agency. Once you are good team, old vets just start flocking to your team.

9. FearTheBeardJH

Blazers fans want to trade LMA for Ibaka, Lamb, PJ3, and tor first ...

10. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Lets be really clear here.

Dmo and Jones are nice players, but they will never be of LMA's caliber.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He's deffenently on the list of players I'd go after! He's probably plan B or C, behind Klove (long shot, but you know Morey will try) and possibly Jsmith. Probably in front of Gasol, Nene, and Milsap/Jefforson

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

But to yield them AND Parsons AND Patterson....

LaMarcus Aldridge is not Pau Gasol or ZBo in their prime.

That said, if the deal were a little less lopsided, I'd say sure. Well, except for LaMarcus' allergy to rebounding. But 8 rpg isn't horrific. We do have Asik to vacuum up the glass.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

That might be what they want, but they moved Harden for financial concerns. If they are going to take on another huge salary, they will probably want to move Perkins first and foremost. Then, the Thunder will have depth problems at the 4/5 spots. The Thunder could be an interesting trade partner, but not sure how it could work out. They def. have the assets that's for sure.

14. izeroi

izeroi Member

lmao!!!

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

With the possible exception of Kevin Love, I can't think of a power forward under the age of 30 I'd rather have on this squad than LaMarcus Aldridge.

People are worried about his defense - but if he's sandwiched between Asik and Parsons in the lineup, they'd help cover for his deficiencies in that regard. Additionally, often times players who aren't defensive stalwarts buy into a new system or team mentality. He might improve and at least be an average defender on our team. Crazier things happen all the time.

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

that's what we have asik for... i'd love to have LA on this team.

17. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Asik shouldn't have all that burden on his shoulders . If he gets injured someone will need to be there to take up slack

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Member

Actually I´m not even sure, if that mentioned package would even get it done. Why would Portland want 3 PFs with potential? Any one of them is a nice throw in, but can`t be the centerpiece. Parsons is close to a centerpiece, but not for a LA kind of player - and Portland already has Batum. And we can`t offer any draft picks if I´m correct. If we want to get LA, the package would probably look something like: Parsons/Asik/ 1 or 2 of our young PFs. And that package doesn`t even guarantee you, that Portland goes for it - it will just let them think about it.

LA is considered a star and a player you could build around, that isn`t too old and has several years left on his contract. Those guys cost a fortune. Now you have to think about, if you can replace those great young role players in Asik an Parsons so that the deal is actually worth it. I would be hesistant to say the least...

19. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

i don't consider him doing his job a burden. that's what he was brought here to do.

20. Buck88

Buck88 Member

I think Portland would be asking Asik, DMo, and Parsons just as a starter. That probably gets the conversation going...anything less then that and I bet Portland just rolls with what they got for awhile.

That's why I think Morey stays quiet this trade deadline. He knows he's got big money to spend this offseason and I'd see no reason to blow that cap space AND assets until the offseason. LMA might be the best available PF to TRADE for but is he that much better then what you can get in FA WITHOUT giving up assets to boot. The cap space goes either way - its a matter of is the trade route (giving up assets AND the caps pace) going to be better then the FA route (just cap space and KEEP the assets)