1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Ga****

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by supdudes, Nov 28, 2012.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets don't need him to be a leader. He can be the training wheel "star" big.

Besides the Heat, every other team whimpers out of the playoffs in their first and or second appearances. As long as the Rockets can get Gasol without losing any of the current core of young players. Gasol can help avoid that pitfall.

Firstly this squad will become familiar with playing with a low post star presence. Most importantly this young core develops into a playoff experienced, battle hardened team. One that's ready to go from day one when that second star player is added in 2014 or 2015 free agency.

Gasol doesn't hamper development, he helps to achieve the right kind.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

At this point, Patrick is producing way more than Gasol is and his contract is a quarter of Gasol's contract.

3. supdudes

supdudes Member

Christ I completely forgot about his contract.

Nvm then, 20mil/year just isn't worth it.

With that said, I'd really love LOVE to see Rockets in the second round again. Just seems like yesterday when Artest went into the stands to grab beer and Yao to "see [him] at da club"

4. Mariachi ROCKET

F everything Yellow, purple and Gold!!!

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, for good reason. Before Shack, they hadn't had a decent center since Cream.

6. supdudes

supdudes Member

LOL F you guys. Srsly

Cream Apple Java was da best :grin:

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

A quarter? Try a dime (ie 10 times more)

Gasol = $19m/yr
    Patterson = $2m

8. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

This explains why I didn't understand your 3rd fiddle comment...

How do you possibly forget about Gasol's contract when discussing trades involving said contract? :confused:

If he was on a mid-level contract, no one in LA would complain about his production.

9. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

You guys just don't get it. Gasol has a ridiculous contract, he's well past his prime, and he doesn't impact the game like he used to anymore. Why would you want to give up a young up and coming player like Parsons, who plays lock down defense and the 2nd best player on the team for a guy that making more than Harden in 2 years, and barely contribute?

Yes, Gasol used to be an all star 7 footer. But that was then, this is now. Gasol has been terrible. He can't grab rebounds, doesn't play good defense, and just settles for 15 footers. Gasol combined for around 37 points in the last 4 games. Why would you want a player that is on the decline and is due with 38 millions in 2 years?

I'm not going to lie but a lot of people here on this forum still believes that Gasol is still an All Star caliber player. But he's no longer the same player. He was always considered the better player out of him and Marc. But Marc far surpassed him 2 years ago. Chandler Parsons impact the Rockets much more than Gasol would have. A underrated player like Chandler Parsons, who has become a great one on one defender, good rebounder, and becoming a scoring threat. Parsons is the 3rd in PPG this year to 2nd year players.

Considering that Parsons is a 2nd round pick and he's the 3rd overall scorer from his draft class is great. He's our best 2 way player. His PPG average is higher than Gasol, Gasol average 2 more rebounds than Parsons even though Gasol is a 7 footer, and Parsons shoots a higher percentage. Overall, Chandler impacts the game right now more than Gasol does for the Lakers, and the Rockets are paying him less than 1 mil while Gasol is making close to 20 mil. I don't know about you guys but I much rather take the younger player who's impacting the game more and making almost $900k than the 32 y/o who's seem disinterested in the game, quickly declining, and have $38 million left on his contract...

10. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Damn, I didn't even realized that. Thanks...

A dime of what Gasol makes but much younger and brings more impact on the court...

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

no he doesn't.
    Also, I'm not sure why we are counting Les' money. It's his money. The question is, are the Rockets planning to do something better with their cap space this summer.

12. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He turns into a superstar when he puts on the Spanish jersey somehow though.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Gasol is as soft as they come and he's mentally weak. His lack of effort and disinterested play currently for the Lakers is reminiscent of how he played for the Grizzlies towards the end of his tenure in Memphis. It could also be a sign of him declining as a player. All this coupled with his contract makes him undesirable.

Edit:

Rumor of Gasol for Amare

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/a...ussed/12301180?linksrc=home_rg_image_12301180

Nash and Amare reunited?

#53 Kwame, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. supdudes

supdudes Member

See?

Even Kwame thinks Gasol sucks!

1 person likes this.
  15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he's used like one.

This isn't about physical decline.
    the guy went from predominantly a low post player one year (2011), to predominantly a jump shooter next year. That kind of 'decline' doesn't happen over the summer without a devastating injury, which he didn't have.
    They just went with Bynum/Howard as the main low post option, and Gasol is playing further away.
    Is he declining - maybe. He has a ton of miles. But he's also heavily misused and visibly frustrated right now.

Now re this current game, David West just scores on Gasol. Always has. I don't remember when he had the last bad game vs. Gasol. The price you pay for using Gasol as a 4. When they had Odom/Bynum, they could put Odom on West types. Other than these shooting PFs who can get around Gasol, and the big, strong, scoring centers, Gasol is a pretty good defender.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

hahah. rep worthy.

17. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If the Rockets could just get rid of this young, improving player:

[​IMG]

and replace him with this guy who is 10 years older with bad knees:

[​IMG]

Then they'd win a championship? Am I doing this right?

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

But let's make sure we get rid of this promising second year player, too, because it's such an upgrade and all:

[​IMG]

I mean the Rockets are just a farm team for the Lakers, so this is the least Houston should do.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Don't forget his best asset.

[​IMG]

20. Gertso

Gertso Member

I missed my fantasy draft and he's set to "un-droppable" and no one will mercy trade with me. Oh well I'm still one game back from first.