1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with that strategy (and why I don't completely buy it) is that a lot of fans who normally watch Astros and Rockets games don't even have the option of switching to Comcast. It simply isn't available. So while I sit by waiting for Rockets games to start showing up on my provider, I slowly get used to not having games to watch and will eventually move on to where sports viewing isn't as necessary an event as it once was. Other things will fill that void and it will be hard to get many of the people in my situation back.

So, while I don't think this is simply a ploy to get people to switch to Comcast, it's hard for me to imagine any scenario where the current strategy is a success outside of Comcast attempting to increase their overall demand in order to move into areas currently dominated by Time Warner, Cox, Suddenlink, etc. Not sure how feasible that would be, but if it's the case, the Rockets and Astros were simply used as pawns in an attempt for Comcast/NBC Sports to expand their empire. They give up partial ownership for a regional sports network not to get individual customers to switch service providers, but to make sure they are the dominant provider available for entire regions.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well said, but from the Rocket's point of view, I can't see how this is a winning strategy. I think they are going to lose tons of fans. The people who write on this board are the radical inner circle, and even some of them are peeling off. Imagine what will happen with the marginal fan. Out of sight, out of mind.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think the marginal fan cares about games in November.

4. theDude

Supporting Member

I don't think the Rockets have much say. They can claim a share of the profits from the channel, but whoever has controlling interest makes the decisions. I assume that is still going to be Comcast. If the Rockets had any say, I honestly believe that a deal would have been reached. Everything that is going on right now appears to be strictly in the interest of Comcast (not CSN, but Comcast/NBC).

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What are you not getting about NOT wanting to watch on a ****ty stream, buying LP and using a proxy, etc? We live in HOUSTON and want to watch, on our own TV's, our HOUSTON Rockets.

I'm on a PC all ****ing day long at work and the LAST thing I want to do after I eat dinner with the wife is to log back onto a PC to watch a choppy internet stream of the team that plays in the CITY that I live in.

Yes, you live far away, you've adapted to scoreboard watching via ESPN score tracker or whatever, but we have all watched this team for DECADES on TV since we live in this city, and now all of a sudden without the fans say, they are now no longer available to the majority of the fans on this site and in the surrounding areas. It's really not rocket science to understand our frustration.

We know there are ways around it, but they all are substandard. Not to worry though, they'll get this figured out by the time LAstros season comes around and the TENS of people who even watch that crap will rejoice while those of us who used to be hardcore Rockets fans will have moved on due to frustration and the played out but true "out of sight out of mind" thing.

Vamos Los Comcast!

#1985 LonghornFan, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

WTH? Has sWoly-D taken over this account? One of the most well-reasoned posters on this board is now suggesting that all of this is our fault?

Seriously, is it that much of a stretch to suggest that Houston Rockets fans who live in the city of Houston should be able to watch the Houston Rockets on TV without having to purchase league pass and jack around with proxy servers or download crappy virus-filled streams?

You act like we're being greedy just because we want to watch our favorite hometown team on TV every once in a while.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Actually the Rockets and Astros have the controlling interest but they both agreed to give their negotiating power to NBC/Comcast to let them handle all of this.

8. theDude

Supporting Member

The Astros and Rockets together may have over 50%, but they are separate entities themselves. Regardless, if they have given negotiating rights to Comcast then it doesn't matter. It appears that they lured the Rockets and Astros in to a situation to create leverage for themselves. The only way any of this makes any sense is as a means to create revenue for the parent company. Neither CSN, the Rockets nor the Astros are benefitting from this standoff in any way.

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I agree, this might be never addressed as I heard the samething has been happening in Portland for the last two years.

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

This shyt is still going on? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

So DirecTv won't be carrying CSNHouston, there's been no word on Dish or Time Warner...wil anyone ever be able to watch the Rockets and Astros???

12. Nero

Nero Member

In fairness, the League Pass stream is not crappy, it is in HD. It's good.

I just have not got myself to the point of buying it, it's the principle of the thing. It was a stupid decision on the part of the Rockets and Astros to allow themselves to be married to Comcast without an iron-clad guarantee that there would be no interruption of television service for the fans.

That's the bottom line.

Alexander and Crane should be embarrassed and ashamed for what they have allowed to happen here.

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Where did you hear this? I have been hearing they would likely be the first to carry it...

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

It sucks I want to watch games on my 55 inch samsung led. And flip back and forth freely without having to worry about streaming.

15. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

17. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Looks like everybody is in the same boat for a long while. Sucks

18. smp

smp Member

Exactly. I've been a Rockets fan for about 20 years. As much as I enjoy watching them, I'm not logging into a PC or trying any other "substandard" workaround. I'm certainly not switching to Comast either.

Congrats Rockets! You have just lost a 20 year fan/ former season ticket holder. As if your 1 playoff series win in the last 17 years wasn't bad enough, you have entered an agreement which excludes much of what's left of your fan base.

Unbelievable.

Sell the team Les. You purchased a championship contender and ran it all the way down into this debacle. Cash in and let someone who has a passion for winning basketball titles take over instead of a passion for greed. That's simply the only thing that motivates this franchise. GREED.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Agreed with everything you said. I've watched a couple of games on crappy streams and just can't take it so I'm not even trying anymore. I'm not going to buy tickets to any games either while this is going on. Just going to enjoy football season, maybe catch a few Rockets games at bars.

You know they'll have it worked out by baseball opening day though. As crappy as the Astros are, that day is bigger than just about any regular season NBA game plus they are debuting in the AL.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I will. DTV still carries FSSW & they show the Spurs, Mavs & Rangers. All I have to do is stomach Sean Elliott, etc.:(