1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Bulls @ Rockets 11/21/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The problem I have is the idea that playing Lin is somehow "costing the team wins". Over what alternative? Douglas is even worse, and yet again, those are the FACTS.

Unless/until we get another PG on the team, Lin is the best we've got. Just gotta live with and give him his 30 mpg because there's no other alternatives.

2. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Good point. Lin also had a bad game - everyone does. The difference is that if Lin has a bad game people say he should be in the "D" league.

3. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Let's not look at this as a black and white issue. I'm not saying the rockets have not given him moral support. Although I don't like it, I agree with benching of lin tonight. However, I don't agree with Lin not playing even a minute of OT in the Portland game, the Detroit game when Sampson limited lin's playing time against the back up pg on the worst team in the league, taking lin out against lakers when he was finally doing something to bring the team back, etc etc - it's obviously a matter of coaching philosophy .. But those moves will not help a players confidence. Now I don't think Sampson is maliciously trying to sabotage lins career but they need to develop him as a player. That is the goal of this team this year - player development. Even at the cost of a ein, sometimes u have to do what you have to do. And whether u like it or not they invested 25 mil in Lin and not TD. How is Lin ever going to learn to perform if he is taken out against the back up pg in Detroit or in every close games? Even if Lin doesn't think he deserves to play, sometimes the coach needs to show him that he trusts him in close situations to make that crucial play. That is how u grow as a player, just like u did when u learned to speak in front of a class. The more u do the better u do as a player.

So my point is whether u think highly of Lin or not, the rockets have made a big comittant to him - at least this year. Benching him because of few mistakes is not gonna help him improve.. And thusly the long term goal of this team.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

I refuse to believe that Lin is the mentally weak pansy some of his fans are making him out to be.

5. seahawk

seahawk Member

This.

6. Mr. Space City

chris paul is shooting 34% on the season? :confused:

7. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

I hate people knit pick.. Okay Someone who is not as worried about job security not some formerly disgraced assistant coach who is trying to get a head coaching job by inflating his win loss total.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

The differnce is Chris Paul is one of the best PGs in the NBA

9. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Lowry has been in the league longer than Lin at 24

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

At least Lin isn't shooting 28% on the season (Toney Douglas).

11. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

I'm just giving my perspective to those people that think starting Douglas over Lin is a great idea for the team. But I'm pretty sure it's not what's best for the Rockets having Lin and his contract doing absolutely nothing on the bench and being a cheerleader on a sideline. If he's as bad as they think he is, good luck trying to gift Lin to another team without a first rounder packaged with him.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Then maybe he isn't cut out for the NBA. If he's that mentally soft he will never make it. The NBA is a league where the best in the world play. All the players are fighting for minutes, you can't expect a coach to keep giving minutes to a player that isn't producing. If the coach wants to play another player in front of Lin for defensive purposes, I don't have a problem with it. Maybe Lin needs to try a little harder playing defense.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

You are asking a lot from others, coaches, other players, and other fans - Coaches not to worry about job security, just devote themselves to develop/help Lin; other players not to worry about own play time, shots, contracts, just devote themselves to support Lin; other fans not to worry about team win or their favorite players, just devote themselves to tolerate any bad games from Lin.

As a big Lin fan, I can't do that. Can you? What makes you think others can and others should?

To make matter worse, you are demanding this in the name of "long term team goal".

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Or maybe Sampson is, gasp, wrong about Douglas being a better defender than Lin. It's possible for coaches to be wrong, you know, especially assistant coaches.

Advanced statistics suggest that Lin is the better defensive player.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Oh wow. People really believing the Tony is a better defender than Lin stuff. Sad day.

16. Mr. Space City

douglas sucks too

17. Orange1

Orange1 Member

Somehow I felt JLin is still the focal point whether Rockets win or lose. Lin fans should be as happy as Rockets fans now. :grin:

Those non JLin fans are so supportive as well. :grin:

18. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Don't know what's wrong with him, but that PPP went up the past 2-3 games.

19. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Or another analogy would be a rookie qb like Ryan tannehill or Brandon wheedon - would u pull him ecause of an incompletion on 3 and 5 or an int in the end zone?

You are bringing up today's game but what about the Detroit game or the Portland game when he didn't get to play any minutes despite playing well the whole game?

You obviously have a win now mentality .. And if that is your goal, yes I agree that you should do everything to win. But to me this is barely a playoff team who is still learning. And as long as they invested in Lin they need to let him play they some tough stretches. So far it has not been uncommon when Lin got benched when he started doing good things. That I have a big problem with.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toney is a WAY better on ball defender.

It is how he got into the league in the first place.