1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Request for suggestions on a new laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by durvasa, Nov 20, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've had my ThinkPad T61p for a number of years now, and its time for a new laptop. Does anyone know of any good deals or have recent experiences on buying a laptop that will help me make my decision? I'm used to Thinkpads, but I'm willing to try something new. I'd like for it to be < $1300. I don't use it for gaming, but I do watch movies, listen to music, programming, office apps, web-browsing/email.

Other things I'd like:

- high resolution screen
    - at least 14 inch display
    - < 5 lbs
    - good battery
    - runs quiet

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Macbook Pro yo.

3. durvasa

Yeah, I'll have to check out the current deals for macbook pros. But as I remember they are pricey, and won't they require that I buy a bunch of extra Apple accessories?

4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I've been looking at some Dell's because I want to upgrade too, but all the models come with windows 8 now. :(

5. Chopped

Chopped Member

I'm in the same boat, have a thinkpad t500 on its last legs, looking for something 15 inches, thin, light, discrete graphics, have had no luck around 1200$

6. durvasa

Have you looked at the T430s? Its 14 inches, but might be what you're looking for.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Like what? I can't really think of anything you'd need extra for standard use.

It's too bad you have your screen size limit, otherwise at that price you could get a nice Ultrabook; Samsung has some nice ones, Dell has the XPS 13and of course the Macbook Air. Those come with 13" screens though.

If you're staying 14" or higher, there are some Dell XPS in that range. I don't know what the latest Lenovo model is but they are workhorses in my experience.

Here's CNET's laptop ratings. Might help.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know about these specific specs, but I've bought 3 different Asus laptops recently (one of em for myself). All 3 users extremely happy with performance and reliability and it's been 1-2 years of heavy useage for all of them. Highly recommend the brand and they were priced decently. I'll try to post the specific models later today.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Depends on what you use it for.

I have a Macbook Pro and honestly can't even begin to imagine how I went all these years prior having a Dell.

However, Dell/Microsoft are superior when it comes to office work and stuff like that, but if you just want a laptop for personal use, Macbook Pro is the only way to go.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Macbook Pro Retina. I know it's more expensive than what you are looking for, but considering how much time you will spend looking at that screen, I say it's worth it.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No games, I would go Macbook unless you can get a screaming deal on a higher end windows laptop like an Alienware.

At any rate, you're buying at just the right time with Black Friday a few days away.

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

This. I had a Dell for years and then went with a Macbook Pro and won't ever go back.

If it is for personal use and you won't need Microsoft for work/school or anything like that, go with the Macbook. You will be happy you did. You won't need to purchase anything extra other than maybe a laptop case to protect it.

I kept my old Windows laptops just in case I needed to access Outlook or some Microsoft files.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm thinking about upgrading from my MacBook an "Ultrabook".

Love the whole, laptop to tablet idea now that pc makers know how a tablet should work.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Picked up the 17.3in Chronos this year, I think the smaller one might be down your alley. I love the thing, it's a high res Sammy screen, but not retina quality. But hey that's only like another $1,500. I'd put a SSD in it but that's not a must for everyone.
    [​IMG]

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga is freakin sexy. It's a convertible ultrabook w/touch. Well in your price range as well. I have a few co-workers with these and the reviews have been nothing but positive. I'm hoping to get one soon.

[​IMG]

Edit: Just saw your requirement for a 14 inch display. This one is 13.3.

#15 Harrisment, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  16. durvasa

Yeah, I took a close look at that. Lenovo is also putting out a ThinkPad "MultiTwist" Ultrabook (I guess for people like me who are used to the ThinkPad brand), but the display isn't as nice I think.

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

18. durvasa

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys.

I'm leaning towards a ThinkPad t530. Here are the specs for the configuration I'm thinking about:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3610QM
    Display: 15.6" 1600x900 LED Backlit, AntiGlare Display
    Graphics: NVIDIA NVS 5400M (1GB DDR3 Memory)
    Total Memory: 4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz, 1 DIMM (I plan to separately purchase 1 or 2 8 GB DIMMS)
    Camera: 720p HD Camera
    Hard Drive: 320GB Hard drive, 7200 rpm (I intend to separately purchase an SSD and use that instead)
    Optical Device: DVD recordable 8x max (I intend to buy a HD caddy to plug into this Bay slot for a second hard drive)
    Battery: 9 cell Li-ion TWL 70++
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
    Wireless: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
    Warranty: 3-year accident warranty (this is about $170, not sure if its worth it but its "Lenovo recommended")

The current configuration + the extra warranty costs me $1190. If I tack on the additional couple hundred for the SSD drive, the extra hard drive caddy, and the 8 GB memory DIMMS, I'm looking at around $1400 with this configuration. A bit more than I wanted to pay. Does anyone know if I can get something with similar features/quality for a better price?

19. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

Have you checked out the Dell Outlet? The current sale includes:
    http://content.dell.com/us/en/dfh/d/campaigns/dell_outlet_hot_deals_dfh.aspx?dgc=IR,IR&cid=250066,&lid=4352121,9FAEEE92

Inspiron 17R - Special Edition
    Save $250 on any Dell Outlet Inspiron 17R*— Special Edition*priced at $895*with coupon* code below!

Was $895.00 Now $645.00
    Dell Outlet New
    Silver Anodized Aluminum
    Intel® Core™ 3rd Generation i7-3630QM Processor
    8GB Memory
    1TB Hard Drive
    DVD/RW
    Integrated Webcam*
    17.3 Inch HD+ (900p) Truelife WLED Display*
    Microsof®t Windows®*8
    Nvidia® GeForce® GT 650M 2GB
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless 2230, 2x2 b/g/n + Bluetooth®
    Limited time, while supplies last!

Coupon code:
    JX6B1?0JX8S?BD

Check Prices
    *View Details ›

=============================================

UXPS 14 Ultrabook
    Save $350 on any Dell Outlet XPS™ 14 Ultrabook™ at $1,205 with coupon* code below!

Was $1,205.00 Now $855.00**
    Certified Refurbished
    Silver Anodized Aluminum*
    Intel® Core™ 3rd Generation i7-3517M Processor
    8GB Memory
    532GB Hard Drive
    Skype-Certified Hi-Def Webcam
    14.0*Inch HD+ (900p) Truelife*Infinity Display*
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM*
    Intel®*Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 and Bluetooth® 4.0
    Limited time, while supplies last!

Coupon code:
    $Z7KK3CK95MMFF

Check Prices
    *View Details ›

20. durvasa

This looks like a fantastic deal. Thanks for pointing it out.