1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Dei

Dei Member

We've talked about this several times already.

It was probably workable.

2. coach41

coach41 Member

Jeremy Lin isn't a joke. Comparing him to Lowry (who's played in the league for a few years now) isn't quite fair. Lowry didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first few years (based on the stats I see online).

I posted this on the Lakers thread last night but I think Jeremy Lin is still struggling to find a balance between his scoring and passing instincts. Remember that Jeremy Lin did not play point guard exclusively at Harvard. He was a SG/SF (yes, even at 6'3").

Lin definitely was not NBA ready with the Warriors. I think he wasn't ready for the speed and athleticism of the NBA game. Plus, he was trying to become a PG after shooting the ball so much for Harvard.

In terms of experience, Jeremy Lin came in with some disadvantages. He played off the ball during college and trying to learn how to play PG all over again in the NBA. He played in HS so it's not completely foreign. But unlike Nash, Kidd or other greats, he didn't have the benefit of playing the position entirely through their careers.

In a way, I think Lin is better as a shooting PG. Lin is a good passer so it's not like he'll hog the ball. Lin just needs the freedom to do what he does best. Playing a "pure point" may be hurting his game more than anything else.

1 person likes this.
  3. SunsRocketsfan

What stats are you looking at? Granted it's a super small sample Lowry was/is averaging 18, 6, 6 on 54% shooting. . If lin can put that up i'm sure most of us would be ecstatic and shutup.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Have you guys not learned from Lowry and Dragic that we should be patient with young PGs?

Look in the mirror, for therein lies the real joke.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Well said :D

/end of thread lock it up

6. SunsRocketsfan

I think for the most part people are being patient and hoping Lin turns it around. If he's even 75% of his peak form during Linsanity I think most of us would be content. I think the main issue is people feel a bit dissapointed and are voicing their frustration. You can't deny and admit you feel a bit dissapointed in how Lin is playing so far. Hopefully he figures it out and our coaching utilizes the players we have a lot more efficiently.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

I disagree I don't think he has been disappointing. People can complain about his struggles to score the ball but that is pretty much it. Every other aspect of his game has been solid.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

9. Mr. Clutch

Yes, exactly. If you look at win shares, he is still a very effective player because of his all around game. Eventually, his scoring will come around and I'm confident he'll more than live up to his contract at that point.

Dragic struggled for a whole season in his previous stint in Phoenix. Lowry had a non-existent outside shot for several years.

I think we can wait more than 10 games in the case of Lin.

10. SunsRocketsfan

i think you are in the minority.. true he's played solid on D and he has flashes of effectively running a offense with great passes.. but he hasn't had an impact on any of the games. his shooting is so horrible and it offsets any positive impact he has in other aspects. So far the rockets could have interchanged him with any other starting PG in the NBA and the outcome of the game most likely would have been the same. I think he's had one decent game against a crappy team where he almost had a tripple double. Other than that Lin has been dissapointing. But everyone is still rooting for him to turn this thing around and get out of his slump

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

He can no look pass, but he can't shoot for ****. Really ugly to watch his lack of confidence and his funky elbow form.

12. lfw

lfw Rookie

Sure, it was just contingent on keeping Lowry long enough for OKC's negotiations to breakdown with Harden and then to not include him in the trade to get him. Probably workable if Morey had a crystal ball to read the future.

13. Mr. Clutch

^^Everything you guys just said could have applied to Lowry 2 years ago.

I don't know that Lin can become a great 3 pt shooter, but he has proven he is a competent shot creator who can draw heaps of fouls. We didn't really get him just to shoot 3s.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wait what? After the first two games weren't some people calling our back court the most promising back court in the NBA? LOL I guess you weren't one of them too funny. I also guess that you don't believe in wins produced or maybe you have never heard of it. If you look at our team according to the wins produced metric Harden, Lin, Asik then parsons have been the most impactful players on the roster.

http://www.thenbageek.com/teams/hou?direction=desc&sort=wins_produced

If we go by win shares like Mr Clutch mentioned league average is 2.59 Lin is at 5.89 right now.

Anyway to each his own.

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Lin just doesn't have the clutch shot capability yet. Somehow every time there is an obvious momentum shot or last 2 minute shot he is just abysmal. His win share doesn't mean much when he can't hit that pivotal shot or make the pivotal play. It might develop but right now it's just difficult to watch.

16. Exel

Exel Member

Jeremy's clutchness and shot seem to have left him, just like the swagger he had last year. It really does seem like a confidence issue, but why now? Hope the kid is seeing a sports psychologist to work out the mental block he seems to be having now.

17. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

People are way too hard on Lin.

Do people not remember how bad Lowry was at shooting??? Many said he was a back-up PG at best but look at him now. Ignoring injuries, he's producing almost trip-dub numbers.

You gotta give these guys some time. That's the only thing that'll make this team better.

18. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

Further to a sports psychologist, I think the coach needs to really, not claim to, trust Lin. His lack of trust will to certain extent lead Lin to stop trying after missing shots so as to reduce mistakes, but actually what Lin needs is to do is to try try try until he breaks through this bottleneck. Can the coach give Lin this?

Take a look at what happened today when at a certain point we finally seemed to build up some momentun, which was supposed to be the critical moment, the coach made a player-change call. What does that mean? putting in better player at critical moment? or, as he always claims, a better match-up? for the former he has no trust in Lin, for the latter he makes bad basketball decision. Either way, it is bad

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Yes, Lowry became a better 3pt shooter, but his fg% was always on the low-end in his stint here. He shot 39.7%, 42.6%, and 40.9%. Those aren't good numbers by any means. But what many people liked about Lowry was his impact even when he wasn't scoring on many nights.

20. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

btw, my hat off to Rox fans. It is tough to be a Rox fan. Very much different experience than last season when I cheered for Lin/Knicks.