1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA refs--Can someone do some kind of investigation or write an article about it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by greenteaman, Nov 16, 2012.

1. greenteaman

greenteaman Member

Obvious point--and I think the lot of us have seen it time and time again. Tonight (Rockets vs Portland) for me was the straw that broke the camel's back. I used to think Dick Bavetta was a very respectable ref--72 (almost 73) years of age, invincible--a real iron man.

But tonight.. I've never seen the Rockets take it so bad. Getting hacked left and right and refs ignoring them; receiving "opposite" calls, just.. no end, I don't even want to go into detail. Tonight Asik reminded me of Yao Ming back when all the low-post PFs would batter him bloody (ok, maybe not that bad, but it was still terribly painful to watch). Sure, some of the calls are moot, but I'm more than convinced the plurality are pure BS...

I'm more than convinced that refs are involved in some kind of underground betting scandal...or something underhanded run by Stern; who knows. Either way, I would really, really like to see an article or some kind of formal/informal investigation into all of this. It's driving me nuts. I used to only hate Tony Brothers and Joey Crawford--but now it seems the BS calls are getting more and more pervasive throughout the league. What the hell is going on? You can't tell me that you don't see it too.. C'mon, home-crowd coercion is DEFINITELY not the reason why refs would be making these calls. They're clearly pre-swayed toward one term. I see it in game after game (and it especially gets my blood boiling during Rox games).

Sure, there was the Tim Donaghy scandal, but ironically I think since then things have only been getting worse.

What are your thoughts? Are there any articles out there that shed light on today's (not 2008 or 2009's) refs?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So you think Bavetta bet on the Blazers tonight?

3. greenteaman

greenteaman Member

Not implying that in and of itself, but I do think something shady is going on. The BS calls that I witnessed just don't seem coincidental. That's why I'm asking everyone else's opinion on this--and if there's anything written on it all.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You specifically call out Bavetta and then make this statement:

I'm more than convinced that refs are involved in some kind of underground betting scandal...or something underhanded run by Stern; who knows

Since you aren't implying Bavetta bet on the Blazers, what is the underhanded scheme Stern has going where he telephoned Bavetta prior to the game and told him to make sure the Blazers got all the calls?

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

EVERY SINGLE TEAM calls conspiracy.

That must mean the league is more or less fair, don't you think? Refs make mistakes.

6. greenteaman

greenteaman Member

I specifically call out Bavetta because a lot of the crazy calls I witnessed were made by him.

Yes, I am convinced something shady is going on--I don't know what; that's why I started this thread (I'm asking you guys). I haven't heard any criticism or article-based commentaries made on the refs since the Tim Donaghy scandal, yet from what I've witnessed, things really haven't gotten better (and in many cases, they've gotten worse).

I can't cite any specific or concrete examples since I don't really tape or analyze re-runs of games, but every other time I watch a game (whether it's the Rockets or not), I notice a very strong bias by the refs. It's not necessarily the home team other. Yes--granted, I know calls aren't easy to make, but I can't explain it exactly--it's like they're relentless and on a roll whenever they (the refs) want to direct a game in a certain direction.

Again, I'm not expert--that's why I started this thread; I wanted to hear everyone else's opinion(s).

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

Wellp... this is new.

Breaking news... Something shady is going on folks...

8. greenteaman

greenteaman Member

BTW, If I'm the only one seeing it--then by all means, call me crazy, and assure me that all the corruption I sense is baloney. It'll give me a sigh of relief--because as of now, I'm really scratching my head in frustration.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

This was a trap game. Rockets Blazers game was the chosen one to be fixed.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

game 7 fakers vs blazers, 2000 WCF - bavetta doin work

12. munco

munco Member

There's a reason he's called Knick Bavetta.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Let's use replacement refs

Oh wait that's even worse, I'd take shady refs over clueless ones

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I dont think its anything like your saying, I just think Bavetta is way to old to be a ref! Some of those calls tonight make me think his eye sight is bad, or maybe he is just losing his mind... But it wasnt just him, his crew was just as bad!

That offensive foul they called on Morris might have been the worst call I have ever seen, and I mean that! The push off they called on Pat to end the half was terrible, Harden went to line half as much as he should have, and Asik was getting murdered the entire game!

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

So far, the calls are shady but just bad calls by the refs. Its just bad judgement on their part. I can see your pain because I see it way too many times too but overall, some refs can be very bias. Its like when Asik goes up and gets a clean block on Meyers Leonard, the refs called a foul on Asik because they think " No way Asik can get up that high and block that" kind of stuff.

So most of the bad calls are just bad judgement on the refs. But it is really annoying because it feels like the calls are lopsided where the calls is supposed to go both ways for both teams. What really annoys me is when James Harden drives to the basket, gets hammered and no whistle. Maybe they just don't see the defenders smacking his arm but think its all ball. There were also a few questionable calls on Marcus Morris tonight also.

All of the bad calls basically come from bad judgement from the refs.

16. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Not necessarily. If, for instance, the refs gave "home court advantage" calls, on the theory the paying customers will be happier and thus more likely to pay again, then "every team could call conspiracy" and "the refs would be unfair."

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Dick Bavetta was the ref to that game 6 of the 2002 Lakers & Kings game where the officiating made headlines, how everyone said it was the worst officiating ever and such.... I think the Lakers got like 27 FTs in the 4th quarter and only won by 4 points.

I remember Kobe elbowed Bibby in the face right in front of the refs and it was a no call.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

There has been many sources that the NBA is rigged mostly for ratings, not gambling. Many people here would probably disagree with me and probably be sarcastic about it too.

I know a lot of times the refs have terrible judgement and make bad calls. But there are a few times where I really feel like its rigged in the NBA. Notice how anybody that talks about the refs on the press gets fined?

JVG years ago was fined $100,000 by Stern for revealing that an official told him about how the officials will look hard onto Yao' case and Stern also threaten to ban JVG from the league, so JVG back away from his statements.

That' why in 2010, David Stern institute a new rule where any reaction to a bad call would get a technical foul and fine. Basically, Stern just silenced everyone in the league. I always felt like there was some shady actions on his part, that's why I can't wait until he retires.

1 person likes this.
  19. nomangame

nomangame Member

If only he could be fired.......

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

All refs can get violently bent s'far as I'm concerned. Starting with bavetta, crawford, and palmer.