1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is more of his issue. The CBA allows the Rockets to require him see a team appointed doctor if he is missing time because of the condition (which he is.)

He wants the ROX to bend over backwards, give him playing time, etc. but then doesn't want to work with them on what they want him to do. He wants a one way street where he gets special treatment and benefits for his condition while he uses it to bring attention to his cause.

2. carayip

carayip Member

Don't be so naive to think that Royce is stupid and doesn't care about his money. He wouldn't bring out this antics if his contract was not signed and guaranteed.

3. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I completely agree. If the rumors and quotes are true about his playing time, you can't defend Royce. He's acting very immature.

4. bongman

bongman Member

This explains everything. He is NOT a basketball player :eek:

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Everyone is willing to fight for their cause as long as they still get paid.

His conduct is flat out insubordinate at this point based on published reports.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I use to have severe social anxiety. It crippled my performance at university and at a time where you were suppose to make a lot of connections and build a solid social network, I made none cuz I would mostly just play the computer and stick to my few childhood friends. But I realized it was merely me not being exposed/ not putting myself out there enough, and just not having enough experience.

Once you force yourself out there two or three times, the anxiety fades. It also helped me to watch youtube videos and visit sites about social anxiety/depression. There were also people I had to confront or talk to who may have caused my anxiety. Or you can forever stay in your safe cocoon and own little world.

Most importantly, I had to "reason" with my own brain. I took the advice from websites that worked for me and applied them/attacked my own fears and insecurities. It took a long ass time.

It seems like Royce White is choosing to stay in his safe cocoon.

#1366 LCII, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Royce is smart enough to not state specifics. He is being vague and hiding behind "consistency" and "support." He knows how bad it will look if just flat out stated he wants more playing time. He isn't even denying this is about playing time. He is just used to people re-making the world to fit him and his insecurities.

8. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

yeah, if the rockets were the ones being unreasonable, then i think royce would gladly expose them on twitter with specifics

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

We have very little comment from the Rocket's officially other than Morey saying that Royce is not available and that they still support him. All the comments about playing time come from reliable media members who have sources within the Rocket's.

The thing is most fans don't blame White for his anxiety issues or for not wanting/being able to fly. They blame him for the other stuff that has nothing to do with flying. He didn't have to fly to attend training camp. He felt he had to hold out to get a plan for travel officially approved and most fans forgave that, but he COULD have attended camp while having his agent deal with the travel issues and then sat out if they couldn't reach an agreement when they actually had to travel some where. He didn't have to fly to go to the home game against Miami. He didn't have to fly to see his therapist or attend home practices... He doesn't even have to fly to go to the dleague.

It's the tweets about needing "support" when he is missing basic team functions that would be expected of a player even at a high school level, with no expanation of why those events had anything to do with his anxiety problem that are turning public opinion against him.

The media reports that lack of playing time are the primary issue is just the nail in the coffin, and frankly his tweets and lack of explanation for his actions beyond "needing support" makes the reports completely believeable. If he comes out and gives exact details about what the Rocket's aren't doing then we can reevaluate this, but until then twitter is not going to help his image or the mental disorder cause.

1 person likes this.
  10. just a word

just a word Member

As a person who've come back from depression and anxiety, the way White has acted throughout this entire sequence is, while understandable and perfectly logical from an anxious point of view, not mature and not healthy. He's not making healthy decisions for himself all across the board (re: communication with workplace/peers/social media/trolls, and not sleeping well, and not taking advantage of mental health professionals)

He's seriously made it harder for people with mental health issues, imo, even though the publicity is nice, because he's showing some of the worst of what the disorder can do, instead of being a person that shows how one can properly communicate one's needs.

That thing about the 'support' and his tweets increasingly reads to me in that he's not actually putting in the emotional and mental therapeutic work necessary to getting and staying healthy. I mean even his eating and sleeping habits (that one tweet about the junk food) show lapses in his effort to stay physically healthy, when he's in a career where maintaining one's body is key.

There were so many different ways he could have gone about this, so many different ways he could have chosen for advocacy, instead of 'advocacy'.

Anxiety needs proactive steps to be addressed and managed, and I'm just staring at this total trainwreck and wanting to point out to people and fellow sufferers that this has all the earmarks of what you should Not Do. (Which is actually part of why I broke down and finally made an account instead of lurking.)

It's ironic given that he keeps talking about 'communication', but I think he has no idea what that actually means.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

So help me out please....

Maybe I missed this in the other 20 threads and this 70 page thread...

How did Royce get to his away game in college... If i'm not mistaken a lot of colleges take flights that are over so many hours and will charter a bus at the visiting city.

So if anyone has the answer to this question or can point me to where I miss it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

T_Man

12. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Congratulations, I've been here a while, and this is by far the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever read.

1 person likes this.
  13. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

He should get plenty playing time Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

14. albuster

albuster Member

This sums up what I think about this White issue. He could have been a great addition to the Rockets but his attitude is just bizarre and points more to ego and spoiled brat's mentality than his mental illness.

15. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Not too long after the draft there was a thread about White that featured an article from a journalist who had known him for some length of time.
    His words were a bit cautionary.

I did a search but can't locate it. Does anyone here remember the thread? It might be worth a fresh read by anyone who questions Royce's tendency to manipulate.

16. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Our Society: The Sense of Entitlement

Do you have a sense of entitlement? Before you say no, read this article.

It many not be true of every single person in the country, but in general, Americans have a sense of entitlement. It basically means that people feel that the world owes them something, they take the things they have for granted, and they expect to get things without giving first. Do you think that may be you have a sense of entitlement? Keep thinking about it as you read on.

Some children grow up with a sense of entitlement. We all know that little ones want what they want, exactly when they want it. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Teenagers often run themselves and their parents into deep debt because they have to have the latest fashion and technology. Many do poorly in school because they expect every grade to come easily, and even worse they pass their classes with a social promotion doing little more than going to class.

Complaints about any delay, inconvenience or restriction fill the thoughts and conversation of those who have this sense of entitlement. Learning, money, material goods, promotion and reward are expected, even though they do nothing more than the bare minimum. After a life of having things handed to them, they enter the world and wait for good things to happen.

Do you find yourself complaining about how things are not fair, how others should make things easier for you, or that if you do what you are supposed to do you should be rewarded, congratulated or thanked? That sounds like the sense of entitlement to me.

How can we overcome the sense of entitlement?

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/our-society-the-sense-of-entitlement.html

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member

Dude, mental illness is a biological issue. When your brain fires irregularly, stuff like this happens. Don't belittle the illness that he suffers just because you don't like his behavior. I also think that he is going about it the wrong way, but instigating a reaction from him and antagonizing him over twitter is just a horrible thing to do. Comments like the one I've just quoted are very sad.

18. Raven

Raven Member

It only took White two months, but I think he's actually leapfrogged over T-Mac to become the biggest headache in Rocket's history.

Wow, what an accomplishment!

19. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

If you view White's current behavior through the lens of avoidance, it makes a little bit more sense. I don't think he's a bad guy or anything- he is just crippled by his anxiety problems and has gotten away with severe avoidance up to this point.

At the core of any anxiety disorder is avoidance of facing your fears. White has gotten away with avoiding facing his fears because he was a prized athlete who was able to get people to do what he wanted. His getting his PCP to say that he needed a bus to be healthy is a good example of that. Problem is, there is no way that he can avoid facing his fears of planes, etc. and still meet his responsibilities and do his job effectively. So he needs to either (a) face his fears and try to control his anxiety the healthy way, or (b) find another way to avoid facing his fears. He has knowingly or unknowingly chosen path b, where he basically is sabotaging himself and his career. By choosing path b, he will be kicked off the team and will not have to face his fears. He is effectively destroying his opportunity for a career in the NBA because the thought of tackling his anxiety is too overwhelming for him. So instead, he gets his payday and then avoids his anxiety for the rest of his life.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I'm sure mental illness is a biological issue and very whatever, but it won't kill you.

Cancer will.

That's why it's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever read.