1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The REAL reason why D'Antoni was hired over Jackson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by McGradyPwns, Nov 13, 2012.

1. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

I have no idea. Do you?

List conspiracies here.

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Jim Buss doesn't approve of PJ all up in Jeanie's hoo-hoo.

1 person likes this.
  3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I suspect Buss Jr. never wanted Phil and was hoping he'd decline. They made the offer out of respect and because it would've looked bad if they didn't at least explore it.
    Then he gives a strong indication he'd come back, and the Lakers do what they did.

4. conquistador#11

the mustache. phil in his prime never had one as suave as mr. pringle's.

5. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

From what I gather from reading and hearing;

Lakers' take: Pringles offense would be more suited for the current Laker players.

My take: the management didn't want Jax to have the power that he required if he were to come back with the Lakers. D'antoni was also a lot cheaper 3yr/$12mil(?) as opposed to Jax at around $10-$15 per. Realistically I don't think money was the issue with the Lakers so one would assume that it was over giving Jax management power.

Who knows? It could be over a freak'n parking space. Lakers and their drama...

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Because Mr.Buss couldn't stand Phil's coat hanger shoulders anymore.

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Because Phil Jackson is almost 70 years old, there's no future with him, he's not committed no matter what he says, he wanted too much control, he can't travel much, his triangle offense doesn't work with this team, he doesn't get along well with Jim and Jerry Buss and lastly the Lakers ownership is more concerned about going back to the Showtime Lakers then the anything else.

No conspiracies. I'm not saying I like the D'Antoni hire at all, but I would of hated the Phil Jackson hire.

8. thisiscaketown

9. Classic

Classic Member

this is what i'm thinking

plus, have you seen Phil Jackson walk lately?

10. turtletran

turtletran Member

I heard a multiple of different rumors but the main reason was that he was asking for the "moon."
    Things such as:
    -Entire coaching staff back
    -Over 10mil a year?
    -And only to coach to home games.

11. supdudes

supdudes Member

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Phil kind of likes retirement. So when approached about coming back, he asked for what it would take to make it worth his while to give up on retirement.

The Lakers wanted Phil back, and they were willing to give him the huge amount of money he wanted but not the other things like time off from long road trips, and control over basketball operations so they held their ground, Phil held his, and they were at an impasse.

There's not really a hidden story here.

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

I thought it was because they wanted an up-tempo offense.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Last time Phil coached, he was schooled by Carlisle.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Jackson would be a stop-gap coach. Yes, they are in win-now mode, and Kobe/Gasol fits Jackson, but their only player of the future is Dwight, and Phil won't be around for that when Kobe/Nash retires & Gasol is traded. So basically everyone apart from Dwight will probably be two-and-done ... might as well hire someone that can bring continuity.

16. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Jackson was never going to come back and coach the Lakers, it was all a hoax created by the Lakers organization to try and make Laker fans feel better about the D'Antoni hiring.

Lakers never want to admit they were wrong, especially not to their own fans. But they were wrong for hiring Mike Brown and not going with Brian Shaw, who was Phil's protege and should have taken the job after Phil left. Now Shaw is with Indiana and the Lakers had to go with plan B while trying to keep Nash involved in the offense so they went to D'Antoni. Who undoubtebly will do no better than Brown did.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

His cover letter was much more impressive:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/lakers-gm-claims-mike-dantoni-had-more-impressive,30358/

18. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

That Lakers team was gassed. 3 straight years of deep postseason runs and 2x championships will do that to you.

Mavs were hungrier and the Lakers ran out of gas. Carlisle didn't do jack.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Maybe PJ and Kobe had an inappropriate relationship? Maybe Nash was black mailing Kupchak for D'Antoni?

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Nash told Lakers management: Once you pop, you can't stop.

1 person likes this.