1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Point Guards Debuts in Rockets History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 11, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rocket fans (just Rockets fans),

please contribute your memories of great point guard debuts in Rockets history.

So in 1990, a point guard we traded for named Kenny Smith made his debut with the Rockets.

This is his Houston home debut, at the place which was called the Summit where we made Knicks fans cry .

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F199011060HOU.html&div=div_HOU_basic"></script>

[​IMG]

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess I'll follow that up with Kenny's counterpoint, and my favorite Rockets player growing up... Sam Cassell.

I dont remember his debut, but I do remember a special game from him.

Mr. Irrational confidence guy coming off the bench. Game 2, 95 Finals.... I believe he went unconscious to drop 30 or so on the Magic. They really didn't have an answer for him off the bench. Brian Shaw was a reliable scorer, but couldn't slow down the alien.

That PG rotation for those 2 years had to have been the best in the NBA, and Cassell was such a different type of guard then Smith in a good way. Had a great mindset coming into the game off the bench, and provide someone who could play outside of Rudy T's system when Hakeem was on the bench.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Sam Cassell was awesome. He was a winner everywhere he went.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As far as MY favorite Houston legends athletes goes its-

#1- Biggio
    #2- Sam Cassell

and then probably

#3- Warren Moon (met him at an Oshmans SuperSport as a kid back in the day. life changing day for a little kid)

5. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The backcourt with him and Clyde against Orlando in the finals was great. For every Randy Livingston, Bryce Drew, Rohdrick Rohdes, Sam Mack,Matt Maloney and Brent Price to come along, it really makes you appreciate how good guys like Smith and Ellie were.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Sam had a fantastic career and should have made the all star team more times than he had.

He was destroying his rivals head to head. Mike bibby, baron davis, jason kidd, etc

That mid range game was unstoppable.

7. split41

split41 Member

Dude, I'm a rockets fan and was going to comment in this thread, but what is this? "Rocket fans (just Rockets fans)"

What kind of divisive crap is that? Like, man I get it you don't like 2012ers or whatever, but is the kind of board culture you want here? Where every new poster needs to prove himself to you or something. There shouldn't be two camps here, we're all rockets fans.

I understand that some of these ______ only fans can be annoying, but they're rocket fans as well. If they're just bandwagoners give it some time and they'll eventually disappear.

I just joined so I could talk rockets with some people here (can't talk about with anyone here is Australia).

Man, I was a happier rockets fan when I wasn't on this board.

1 person likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

To ensure people will talk about the Rockets. Not any other team on this thread.

9. split41

split41 Member

Fair enough man.

This is before my time, but what was Calvin Murphy's debut as point guard like? He's definitely imo the best rockets PG.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

that's the point of the thread. please post some more examples:

Best point GUARDS

11. jocar

jocar Member

Haters gonna hate, but Stevie was my fav PG of all time. His baseline alleyoops and 44 inch vert dunks were the most exciting and athletic bballin ever seen from a PG in clown pajamas at Compaq. (I've mentally blocked out all his ball hogging and brick laying.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2UvGM_h2zjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1999–00 Houston 77 77 36.1 .445 .345 .786 5.3 6.6 1.5 .4 18.0

12. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Lowry

13. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Oh THIS is an original idea from the Tinman police.

Don't tase me, bro!

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

kenny and sam together were the best rocket point guards... lowry and dragic couldnt make the playoffs..

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Looking through that box score in the OP...I forgot about David Wood :)

16. tinman

Supporting Member

And Mike Woodson!:cool:

17. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Game 3 was his big one, hit a lot of big shots down the stretch. I don't think he scared near 30, but I am pretty sure he outscored Kenny Smith every game. Man, Harper had Kenny's number that series.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Getting Lowry was a steal..
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/lowryky01.html

February 19, 2009: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Memphis Grizzlies to the Houston Rockets; the Houston Rockets traded Rafer Alston to the Orlando Magic; the Orlando Magic traded Brian Cook to the Houston Rockets; and the Orlando Magic traded Adonal Foyle, Mike Wilks and a 2009 1st round draft pick (DeMarre Carroll) to the Memphis Grizzlies.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well, if you aren't a fan of the Rockets, then how would you be able to contribute to this conversation? He's talking about Rockets history and if you joined because you are a Lin fan, you can't contribute bc you don't know about other Rockets' point guards.

Tinman, Steve Francis' debut is somewhat comical. He scored 14 points against Sam I Am when Sam was with the Bucks. Cassell dropped 35 on the young fella.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This site has quite a few stats:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/

If you are looking for debut games, just look up the season that player started for the Rockets and click 'schedule & results'. Thumb through and you'll find the game.