1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toney Douglas, The Little Engine That Couldn’t

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Nov 8, 2012.

?

The Toney Douglas solution...

1. Play Scott Machado

100 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Waive him sign someone else...specify in comments

28 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Wait till a trade offer appears

23 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Play Toney Douglas until he breaks out of his slump

26 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Granted he could at least hit open shots from the outside, but my god maloney was terrible.[/QUOTE]

You just said "Granted he could at least hit open shots from the outside" well guess what TD CANT even do that how is Maloney worst??

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure Drew was at least a better shooter...

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Thanks for this thread and my guess is we're tanking or the Rockets are still a cheap organization despite the big contracts to other players. Douglas only had some nice passes in the first or first two pre-season games but for the rest he's been shooting terrible, making bad decisions after another and just doesn't really show he cares that he can't play. Hell, I'd take Fortson over him now, that's how bad the guy is. Seriously though, play Machado or bring back Earl or whoever, a veteran like Livingston maybe?

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last image looks like a graph of Toney Douglas' declining shooting percentage.

5. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This thread cracks me up. I feel so bad for TD, who seems like a really good guy. One thing he does better than Moochie, Drew, or Maloney--he gets to loose balls and is quick, feisty, and tough. If he can get his shot back, he would be immensely better.

TD still gets the nod over Machado at the moment because Machado is horrendous on defense, gets zero loose balls, doesn't box out, doesn't help, and can't rebound. Those are far worse faults for Machado than his shot. At least I saw Machado hit a few long jumpers in preseason. Given a choice, I still want to be sure that at least D gets played. You can play 4.5 on 5 on offense. You can't play 4 on 5 on Defense-every possession you will get punished, demoralized, worn out, and you will flat out lose no matter how many fancy passes you fling around.

TD can do a decent job defending quick little 1's. Unfortunately that's about it at the moment.

6. Star

Star Member

You know, I feel sorry for TD.

Back when he was in New York, Jeremy Lin took over his starting role. Then TD got traded to Houston and he must had thought he finally moved away from Lin and could be the starter again. His worst nightmare was Lin got signed to the same team and TD have to be the backup to Lin again.

If I were TD, this could be the worst period of my life.

7. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Toney Douglas is a big-time ball-stopper; the ball arrives in his hands, and everything just stops.

8. Arthurprescott2

is there any way we can trade his ass for a decent back-up? (Bledsoe please!!! though I assume LAC's management would hang-up the phone immediately when offered a trade for Bledsoe).

9. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

That article was a gem. I literally laughed out loud several times - what great writing. Then I remembered it was about someone sucking up my on my fair city's home team. Then I got sad.

10. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Seriously cut/trade him and take the loss and sign Livingston if available or just use Mochado. He's taking up valuable rookie minutes at this point. This offense just does not seem to suite him as well, he seems more of a set offense type of guy.

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Where is Rudy White when you need him?

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah no kidding, Royce White WOULD be a better point guard right now.

All of a sudden Rafer wouldnt look too bad at the moment. Hell bring Luther Head in for a look

Like lots of posters like to do, thats stringing together a negative narrative

Douglas had a good preseason. Shot .519 from the field, .455 from three. Livingston was a better facilitator and probably shoulda got more time to show what he could do. Though Douglas just played a little better to earn his spot on the team.

13. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Moochie was a true point guard while Maloney was just a good spot up shooter. At least Mooch could "put him in the popcorn machine!".

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Mchales an idiot

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

honestly douglas is know for his defense -- which is probably considered above average but he completely kills any flow on offense when he is in -- I mean there were so many times in the first 4 games where he blew easy layups, had unforced turnovers, terrible passes, did not know what to do, tough shots etc and it can go on.

Honestly I would much prefer Rafer to be back leading that 2nd unit over douglass

At this point its really head scratching why Machado hasnt had a shot at the 2nd unit -- he certainly cant do any worse than Douglas is doing.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

close to Rafer..at least Rafer could dribble under pressure

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

This issue bothers me worse than the lack of seeing Jones. Marcus is actually doing a nice, average job at backing up Pat.. Whereas, TD gives you almost zero. The backup PG is our most pressing issue. I understand that his defense isn't nearly as good as Toney's. If I hear that one more time.....

Seriously, if Toney performs poorly again tonight, you would think they would have to try something new right? If you throw Machado out there for 5 minutes and he completely bombs - fine! He will have been marginally worse than Douglas. At least you tried to address the problem!

Okay, I feel better.

18. SunsRocketsfan

Rafer was miles above TD.

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

20. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member