1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Players: Kubiak is Underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 6, 2012.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...-falcons-smith-tie-for-most-underrated-coach/

A midseason player survey by The Sporting News has Gary Kubiak and Mike Smith tied for the most underrated coach in the NFL.

Kubiak has led the Texans to a 7-1 record, best in the AFC.

Smith has guided the Falcons to an 8-0 record, best in the NFL.

Who do you think is the most underrated coach in the league?

• • •
    See the best photos from the Texans’ 21-9 victory over the Bills.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I personally think that Kubiak is an excellent players coach...and will go to war fighting for his players...but i just think he is an average Head Coach...just imo...

3. Grape_Swisha281

I would go with (Tom) Coughlin. He's about to get fired every two years, and his team talks about him—they come out publicly and say how much they hate him. And he wins Super Bowls." — Steelers S Ryan Clark

This right here says it all. Even though Ive been a fan ever since they hired Kubes, Coughlin just wins a Superbowl every time his job is on the line.

4. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Who's Kubiak? :grin:

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I don't like Kubiak. I personally believe the success we've had is on Wade Phillips. Kubiak continues to be lackadaisical and conservative.
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but we always seem to struggle offensively (even though he's supposed to be an offensive genius and we have good weapons) until our defense has a huge play.. it's like the team needs something to fire it up. Example is last years playoff game, we weren't playing well until Watt's pick 6. And again in Miami, we couldn't really move the chains until those interceptions, then all the sudden we were lights out.

It's like the team feeds off of the defense, and needs that to get it going.

Look at games like the Jets, Bills, Dolphins.. we weren't really doing much. Yes, I know we're winning. But not because of Gary Kubiak, because of Wade Phillips.

I guess my point is,

Kubiak just seems like he can't fire up a team, and we feed off of the defenses energy.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I like Kubiak. The only real consistent beef I have with him is his insistence on running the ball every single 1st and goal from the 10 yard line or nearer. He becomes sooooo predictable around the goal-line.

I'm not asking him to throw halfback passes with Chris Brown but we really can't run a quick slant pass to Dre or Walter? Maybe a quick bubble screen to the outside and have Andre do the rest... No, every time it's a run up the middle or to the corners.

Hella predictable.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think Kubiak has improved a lot over the last few years...but he's just average imo.

Too many 3rd and 10 draw plays for my liking. He plays not to lose, rather than playing to win...and I think that can be his achilles heal as a coach.

1 person likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Kubes (Gary Kubiak) has always been underrated, but I've been telling people for years that he has one of the greatest offensive minds in the game. What sets him apart is that he is a players coach. He can talk to them. He can relate to them, and the players play hard for him because there is a tight bond.” — Ravens S Bernard Pollard, who played for Kubiak in Houston for two seasons

No surprise, Rex Ryan takes the crown as 'most overrated coach'. Belichick coming in 2nd. Is BB overrated?

Patriots named best organization. Texans with 2 votes. Cowboys somehow also 2 votes. Browns named worst organization with Oakland and Jacksonville right behind.

Mike Vick, Cam Newton, and Mario Williams among the most disappointing players.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, and Chip Kelly among the college coaches players would like to see in the NFL.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Almost all teams get a boost from big defensive plays.

Don't really get the Cincy example since the texans scored on a long drive in the first quarter. The second they had a long drive that ended in a FG before the Watt play.

As for the Jets, Bills and Fins games...eh. They were conservative gameplans by the offense and I have no problem with that approach against teams who have difficulty putting up big points. No need in doing anything too fancy and risk giving up points or putting your defense in a bad position.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When people draw a certain conclusion, they have a tendency to then paint with a very broad brush to continue to justify that conclusion. For instance: you mentioned the Jets game – do you not remember the precision-like opening drive in which they marched it right down the field and scored a TD?

There have undoubtedly been games where a big defensive play seemed to turn things around (Miami, Baltimore) – but they’ve scored points on three opening drives (Jacksonville, Tennessee and New York) and put points on the board in two other games (Denver and Buffalo) without the benefit of a big defensive play. If you discount the Green Bay game, in which no one made plays, that’s five of seven games in which the offense did well without the defense “firing it up.”

But big defensive plays are “big” for a reason: the vast majority of them *do* drastically swing things in any given game. So when they happen – good things are likely to follow.

Blergh.

Kubiak is 17-7 in his last 24 games; that’s an 11-win pace. And he’s played 8 games without Matt Schaub, seven games without Andre Johnson and 3 games without Arian Foster. He is quickly establishing himself as an elite head coach in the NFL. This nitpicking over, “It’s all because of Wade Phillips!”… you can’t name a great head coach who doesn’t have an equally (or, in some cases, superior) assistant mining the *other* side of the ball.

1 person likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I still don't get this. What do you call throwing to the end zone on 4th and 6 instead of kicking a FG while up by 12 in the 4th quarter? Do you want him doing that on every 4th down?

BTW, Kubiak has now won....excuse me, not lost 11 of the last 12 games when he wasn't starting his 3rd string QB.

Once could even argue - since Kubiak's offense leads the league in time of possession - that Wade's defense is actually benefitting from Kubiak's "conservative" approach.......

1 person likes this.
  12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Sometimes he plays a little too conservative, sometimes it pays off, other times it becomes annoying and doesn't help at all. That's my one knock on him.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

playing aggressive sure guaranteed Norv Turner and the Chargers a win with a 24 point lead against the Broncos. oh wait.

the Texans are a ball control offense. sit on a fat lead and don't make dumb mistakes. smart football.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Love the Texans; not a fan of Kubes. I truly believe the team could do better, but you can't argue with the team's record this season.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What's funny is that people on this board (and throughout the city of Houston) say this like it's a BAD thing. How can leading the league in Time of Possession be a BAD thing?? And like someone else said, did anyone think that maybe Wade LOVES the fact that we lead the league in T.O.P.? That just means his defense isn't out there 35-40 minutes a game, which in turn means he can be more aggressive with play-calling. There are plenty of things to nitpick about, but being conservative with leads isn't one of them.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Kubiak IS the Texans. How is it this hard to see?? The offensive line, the ZBS, the play action, Matt Schaub's decision making....ALL OF IT is Gary Kubiak. He's put his DNA all over this offense. Matt Schaub is merely an extension of Gary Kubiak. Their demeanor on the field, their decisions, Schaub's ability to understand his strengths and weakneses to a T....Kubiak is living vicariously through Schaub. To say that you love the Texans, AND to say that you can't argue with the results is to say that you love this coaching staff. Without Kubiak, nothing about this team would be the same right now. It's so simple, and yet so difficult to stop.

1 person likes this.
  17. Raven

Raven Member

He's going to run Arian Foster into the ground.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

How much of that has to do with us always (or almost always) having a comfortable lead?

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Arian has superhuman endurance. He is not the RB the Texans deserve, but he is the RB the Texans need....

20. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

McHale is also underrated.

-Nobody ever

1 person likes this.