1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NYT Nate Silver Doubles Down: 75% Chance Obama Wins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Latest from the Princeton Election Consortium:

SNAPSHOT as of November 6, 8:02AM
    EST:Obama: 312Romney: 226
    Meta-margin: Obama +2.46%

Probability of Obama re-election: Random Drift 99.2%, Bayesian Prediction 100.0%

http://election.princeton.edu/

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Obviously I think Obama is going to win. Come on now.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Put some odds on it, Red.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because Silver has upped his prediction to 92%, a Romney win will force him to acknowledge there is likely a design flaw in his statistical model and it needs to be amended. I don't think claiming it is simply a major upset will be sufficient. I'm with you on that.

On the flip side, should Silver's prediction turn out to be more or less accurate (Obama ends up with close to or over 300 electoral votes), are you prepared to acknowledge that there is perhaps some merit to his approach that you hadn't considered before? Would you be willing to revisit your assumptions? I can't speak for others, but it would be more "satisfying" to me if in this scenario you were willing to acknowledge that and stick around for what should be an exciting season of Rockets basketball, rather than make up some lame excuse and then disappear forever.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Well it sure as hell ain't 50/50! :grin:

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

No no no.

jopa, if your guy loses today, we do hear from you. we do not see one lame excuse. we do not ever see your posts on the board again. that was the deal, if you have any honor. Period.

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was right, and I will not have to eat my shoe.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

10. jopatmc

I will absolutely acknowledge that there is probably merit there and I would be revisiting my assumptions because it would be a historic moment when a president was re-elected with lopsided liberal turnout, following a lopsided swing to the right in 2010, following a lopsided liberal turnout in 2008. I would have to acknowledge a different model of voter turnout. Don't know where I'd go with it but I'd obviously have to acknowledge that I was off a million miles.

Methinks you worry too much Durv. I gave you the answer to your question. I told you what I would do if I were wrong. But honestly I'm not worried about it.

It takes a lot of b..ls to put myself out here like this. I don't see anybody else willing to do it. I put myself out here. I'm a big boy. When you make a prediction, you gotta take all the potshots from the masses who don't have the b..ls to put themselves out there. I'm kinda enjoying it to tell you the truth.

And I'm not worried at all about leaving. I've got an idea about a bball board that I'll probably pursue if that happens. Something different that I haven't seen done yet. If I'm gone, I'll just pursue that myself. If I stay, I'll hand it off to Clutch.

11. jopatmc

That's the deal.

Except for one thing. Mitt is not my guy. I'm simply predicting he is our next president.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>It begins: RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/fivethirtyeight">fivethirtyeight</a>: That we have Obama as a ~90% favorite does NOT mean we're predicting a landslide. We expect a close election</p>&mdash; Rick Wilson (@TheRickWilson) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/265813822709837824" data-datetime="2012-11-06T13:52:08+00:00">November 6, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

His wife is working for the Romney campaign. Given his situation, I think its a smart move on his part.

14. jopatmc

That's a hedge.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Do people here not understand probability?

You can have a 90% chance of a particular outcome without it being a landslide. All it is saying is that there is 9/10 chance of a possible outcome with the results being close. Its not saying that there is a 90% chance of landslide.

Close results. However 9/10 chance of it being in favor of one side while being close.

16. jopatmc

You're not at 90%. You're at 100%.

17. Buck Turgidson

No it doesn't, you're an anonymous guy on an internet bbs. Get over yourself.

18. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

What?! If they predict Obama has a 90% chance of winning then that means Obama should be winning 90% of the vote

But since all polls are left wing media fakery, Obama is done...done. DONE!

HURR DURR DERP

/jopatmc logic

DONE!!!!!!!

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's predicting 315 - 223. Historically, does that split qualify as a landslide victory?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781450.html

On a quick scan, in 14 of the last 20 elections the winner had a greater share of the electoral votes than what Silver is predicting this time.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

For you people who are not understanding Silver, let me put it in another context for you. Let's say the Spurs go on a 10 game losing streak. Does that mean the Spurs got shutout each game, no. All Silver is commenting on is the W-L record per state and not the scores. If Romney loses all/most battleground states 49/48 it's a close loss, but a loss nonetheless. I am convinced a good majority of you need to go back to your stats profs and say "hey, I don't really understand statistics I need to give you my grade back. I'll be back in this class early spring to redeem myself." It's sad.

Also, check this one out:
    http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics...e1d8895edd03ba58bf016abaf36b8f039/iframe.html

It explains the pathway to the presidency quite well based on poll of polls. This explains how Romney could win, but there is still a 90% Obama takes it. Of course, a lot of you just could be trolling...

1 person likes this.