1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does McHale have the ability to keep superstars under control?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EarlIII, Nov 3, 2012.

1. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Phil Jackson could do it with Jordan and Kobe. Pop slams Parker and Duncan for even being an inch out of position. What's your thoughts on McHale now that he has Harden, who wants to go ISO quite a bit.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Harden hasn't given me reason to think he is the type who will clash with a coach, so from that angle - no I don't think it's an issue.

I think the jury is out on Kevin McHale, but I don't think this is the right issue to worry about.

3. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

The beauty is Harden doesn't have to Iso to be effective.. I think because of lack of practice that's the easiest stuff to run right now.

4. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

OMG, if he can keep clutchfans posters and new threads under control also

5. torocan

torocan Member

According to the post-game interview, it was his decision to go with Harden at the end of the game.

The idea is simple... he's the best player, so put the ball in his hands and most of the time you'll get the win.

Can't really argue with the logic as in the majority of the situations that's what you want to happen... though personally I think he should have looked to pass or drive vs forcing a 3 pointer with time running down.

File it under learning curve.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

That was so dumb though. It was clear that Harden had no juice what so ever. McHale should have called a time out & run a play where Lin drove to the basket & tried to get a foul. Lin had like 4 strong drives through the game they weren't able to stop him. Go for the old fashioned 3 point plays as opposed to a perimeter shot.

7. Playaz

Playaz Member

Lin looked like he had no juice left either so when you're in doubt, the best player should have the ball. Now if your best player had a poor shooting night, coach should make a play with the pg not that stupid iso 3.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lin looked like he had more juice than Harden. James also was having a poor shooting night. And Harden had tweaked his leg. Like I said McHale should have called a time out & run a set play for a drive.

9. Playaz

Playaz Member

Yes I was agreeing with you. McHale did not help his players as he should have. Any good coach would have handled this situation with a timeout. If he didn't had a play in mind atleast it would have given time for the player's tired legs. I mean run and gun is good for 3 quarters and a half but the last 6 minutes of the game are mostly won by superior strategy of the coach. You can't run and gun the whole game when the starters are tired and the scores are tight.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

First, its a bit of credit to the organization to even consider there's a SUPERSTAR there in the first place. For the longest while, there wasnt even the product there in place to even think about this dilemma.

I guess its asking if McHale can have "command of the huddle" no matter who's on the team, keeping the stubborn guys and divas sold into the gameplan.

I don't think Harden or Lin seem the type to want to INSIST on "their" brand of ball. Even the old Lakers now with Kobe still leading the lead in shot attempts didnt openly protest their new Princeton offense that works against some of their skills. So its assuming that superstar egos will always offer some hard head resistance to their coaching.

I think McHale is a guy that can get tuned OUT lol. As evidenced by last year's player critiques of McHale

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Harden is Westbrook????

[​IMG]

cleverly disguised, give the ball to Lin more so he can score, thread

this thread is so freaking transparent

What, Mr "I just registered"...you don't think we are going to call you out on this. grow up on the internets. and basketball

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Harden Iso plays were most likely McHales idea.... you know why???... cause he's the best player on the team, and if you want to win you give the ball to your best player.... got it, good.

13. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

The Rockets are so heavily invested in Harden they have to play him like a superstar,ready or not. Imagine Harden nailing a game winning shot with 0.3 second left, the amazing story will continue. Hopefully Harden will get use to playing 40 minutes a game because Les will want him to earn every dollar of his contract.

14. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

neither Lin nor Harden seemed like they had any juice left, but i do agree.. between the two, i would have gone with Lin on that last play since (from last season) he seems to always find that extra little juice to make a clutch play.

but, Mchale should have realized that both players had none left in the tank so he should have ran a few plays to free up delfino for a few jumpers.

15. Lihao

Lihao Member

no problem at all Harden should be the go to guy for that play, even though he's obviously tired, he's still the best player in the team and should be trusted when the game on the line.

the problem is , we should have call a time out and run a play that would help Harden's task easier , maybe bring in Delfino or Morris to spread the floor , players running around to confuse their defense sort of things. not standing all around and hope Harden finish it

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Did you watch the game? Harden demanded for the ball from Lin on the last play.

17. maizer

maizer Member

A tired Harden is still the best player on the team. He should have the ball at the end. Also, refs rarely call fouls on a buzzer beating layups.

18. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

transparent? he could be any of the following.. "LOF's", "LOH's", "HOF's", "HOH's", "MOF's", "WOF'S", "AOF's", "DOF's", "JOF's", and whatever the hell else..

19. thisiscaketown

Does McHale have the ability to manage minutes?

20. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

an you can infer so much from that? it was the game plan all the long, everyone was looking for Harden throughout the game. they ran plays just to get the ball into Harden's hands and they had bigs constantly setting picks for him to get to the basket. why would they just abandon the game plan right at the end? Harden was there, Lin didn't see him, so Harden let him know. i'm not saying it's a great plan, as Harden seemed gassed, but it is what it is.