1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Rockets' Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 1, 2012.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

So one thing that I feel is getting somewhat overlooked here is that the Rockets' transition from old to new is basically now complete.

For the last few years the Rockets' culture was still that of the McGrady/Yao era. I'd say it was instilled hard into the entire franchise from the point when Battier was acquired. McGrady/Yao/Battier/Mutombo/Hayes created this culture of Rockets' basketball in a way that was very similar to what happens in a corporation.

It was a style of hard nosed defense, gritty plays, and a very team oriented "nice guy" professional approach. This continued even after Van Gundy left and Adelman was handed the reins due to most of the personnel still being the same. Mutombo/Battier/Yao/McGrady/Hayes were still there to provide an example to even the new guys coming in. New players would assimilate themselves into the team and go with the flow. Hell even Artest followed suit. During this time the Rockets also tried very hard to get players who would fit in this style. Lowry, Scola, Landry, Dragic fit this mold really well.

Then, McGrady and Yao were both gone; Artest as well. The dynamics of the team shifted a little bit into a more Adelman like team. Players like Kevin Martin made me think that the complexion of the team would change dramatically. But that wasn't the case for some reason. I really think Lowry/Scola and the fact that Battier was still here for part of this really deterred that from happening. The old Rockets' style was still evident a lot of the time. But, there was a gradual shift into something new. Especially after Battier and Hayes were both gone.

The team was still gritty and fought hard, but the defensive intensity that was left over from the Van Gundy days was all but gone. We all saw what was happening last year. I still have no idea what was going on with that team. I think their identity was strong point guard play carrying the team for huge stretches while Luis Scola quietly anchored everything together.

Now, however, basically everyone is gone. This team is completely new. Everything Van Gundy is now done with. And there are no remnants of Adelman left. It is all McHale, the Beard, and Lin now.

I don't know what type of identity this team will develop, but I sure hope their mentality is as strong as the Mutombo/Hayes/Battier teams had. Regardless though, I am very excited to see what this team will develop into and how all the pieces will fit.

So what do you all say? What will the identity of this team be?

#1 DudeWah, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. Screw

Screw Member

Going to be a young and hip type of team somewhat like the culture of okc since they are led by young guys. This Rockets team can definitely get popular fast if things start clicking. Think about it...we obtained Lin first which got things sparking for the Houston Rocket community..then the bombshell of obtaining Harden for Max. Beardsanity or whatever you call it, is the identity that this team will take on. Im soo stoked.

And waiting for that final piece to join this tandem. and to see the undercover guys that can possibly explode into something for this team.

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...om-jeremy-lin-and-james-hardens-rockets-debut

some suggestion here that in bleacher reporter. -Ethan Sherwood Strauss

Wednesday night was a reminder of just how youthful and exciting this squad is. The average age of this Houston roster is 23.5, meaning that there's plenty of room for growth and improvement.

This is the new talent incubator out West (though, Utah and New Orleans do have claims to the title). Royce White and Terrence Jones have yet to see a minute, but they'll be brought into the fold as this season progresses. The Rockets are building up, and they're doing it around a youthful franchise player in James Harden.

4. thisiscaketown

The culture change is likely due to our relative lack of bigs (assuming McHale continues to hold out Donatas Motiejunas, Terrence Jones, and Royce White) and our emphasis on that position.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Culture? What are we, making yogurt? We don't need no culture. The only culture we need in the locker room is athlete's foot fungus.

6. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Harden and Lin will pass off good knowledge, but Harden has been deep in the playoffs, and to the finals, has won games, almost alone at times, or quarters for OKC...but I think Harden brings something we've never had in a superstar that came here, even Clyde we could say ya, him and Porter got to the finals, but Clyde was older, same with Charles, although Clyde and Charles are both my top fave players after Dream, and Moses, and Rudy, and Calvin I guess, but Clyde had a lot left in the tank it ended up, just he got annoyed by "one" by the end of it...I regress....but Harden is 23 almost considered a vet. in the NBA and is still only....23 has been to the FINALS, and the Conf. finals the year before...He won 6th man, but finished the games, and always took the best player on the other team...anyways point i am getting at is no one we have seen in a long while has the knowledge, the clutch factor, the chill don't worry I GOT THIS, and it feeds off on to teammates, he will build a fun community within the locker room bc of his personality, but the key is HE IS CLUTCH-he belongs in CLUTCH CITY...I hope Durant has a great career, and he is prob. the best in the game...BUT I THINK HARDEN wants to be THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME....see that's the key....Durant was very laid back, he was a leader, but I think we will see this year how important Harden was to them, and how great and CLUTCH he is...he will settle this team, he will take over at times, but he will never be selfish....and that can all be seen in the game tonight....I think for not what practicing, but maybe once, and a walk through, the players fed off his energy, and Lin looked great working with him. Lin needed someone like Harden, this takes all the pressure off Lin...Defenses will react, but Harden, and Ginobli split defenders with precision, and finish at the hoop...I'm so excited for the new culture that has arrived, Lin is a hard worker, and so is Harden, so is McHale, so I expect nothing less...Welcome back Clutch City!

7. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

sorry Ipad typing-for the wall of text above^

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

All I know is that there's no way we don't get new jerseys next year. First Lin... now Harden? Get ready for the new gear. $$$ :grin:

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Yeah! wut moran made dis thread? Dun he no dat culture is how u collect bacteria for std tests doe? BAN HAMMERZ!!!1!one!

:p

10. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

high quality discussion in this thread
    congratulations

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

The culture needs to be like the Spurs. Practices should be business and be taken seriously. Every play must be engraved in each of the players' mind. This will take a while, of course. They have to get a feel for each other on the court. Constant communication between each timeout. Play like a real team.

As for the team bonding, I expect Lin, Parsons, Harden to hang out a LOT. Those guys seem like the type to have a lot of good fun.

12. PositivityDome

I think you guys are going to have a great culture here in Houston for the years to come. You have a core of young guys who are KNOWN to be hard workers and it's evident that they care about the game because they exude passion.

Lin is a hard worker. Parsons is a hard worker. Asik is a hard worker. Harden is a hard worker. But all 4 have something more in common than just that they work hard; and it is that they are WINNERS. They are competitive types. They won't give up on you. That's what you have in these four guys.

And that's wonderful, because these are your core team guys AND your best players. And that's important, because they can therefore lead both by example and on the court.

Now to your Yao/McGrady Rockets... I always felt those teams were deeply flawed. You guys were definitely tough and hardnosed... but you guys never had enough talent around Yao/McGrady. And by not enough talent, I mean NOT EVEN CLOSE. And with that lack of support, you guys HAD to play hard, and it's fun and respectable to watch a team like that. But without enough talent and DEPTH, it's a moot point.

This team, I see with a lot more hope than I ever did with your Yao/McGrady teams. Those teams always had a ceiling of a Western Conference Finals AT BEST. This team obviously isn't at that point yet... but I think their ceiling could possibly be higher because this team is being built to be solid in all starting positions rather than just in two.

As for what you'll get out of your team in terms of culture... I imagine something like the Sacramento Kings with Bibby, CWeb, Vlade... exciting sharing the ball type of play. Not defensive juggernauts, but everyone will try on the defensive end. I feel you guys are missing a standout PF (Please don't sign Al Jefferson) with some post game and toughness and a different Head Coach eventually, because McHale isn't the type of guy who inspires the troops, and I think that type of coach would be awesome for this team.