1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have landed James Harden!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2012.

?

The Rockets landed James Harden for K-Mart, Lamb + draft picks. Do you like the move?

1. YES

1,287 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. NO

215 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. vernonmaxwell86

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol, you upset?:grin:

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Harden may be better at drives and spot up threes, but he can also create for himself and others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHyDeckCAbQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

935 employees of 610am hate this.

6. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

I found some nice tidbit about Harden's efficiency.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Clue as to why the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23s">#s</a> all point to Harden being a fantastic offensive player can be found on this shot chart <a href="http://t.co/AAWZEFIt" title="http://bit.ly/Smoi2d">bit.ly/Smoi2d</a></p>&mdash; Haralabos Voulgaris (@haralabob) <a href="https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/263744156126564352" data-datetime="2012-10-31T20:48:01+00:00">October 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[​IMG]

Didn't shoot a lot of midrange but I can see him improving with this team. But he is deadly outside and inside for sure.

7. Grigori

Grigori Member

You do realize that James Harden thinks that long 2-point jumpers suck ass (he's right) and he barely takes any of those at all right? He either shoots the 3 or creates point-blank shots in the paint. That's what you want your players to do. Even if you don't watch any other OKC games and go strictly by 82games.com shot breakdowns, you ought to at least remember the OKC games against the Rockets last year. Harden was killing us with the point-blank shots we could not for the lives of us stop him from creating. We were only able to beat OKC because of the timely returns of Westbrook and Durant in crunch time taking the ball out of Harden's hands.

8. HombreDeHierro

I do believe I remember that happening

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

So let me see if I got this right, if you take away a players most efficient way of scoring he becomes inefficient? Brilliant.

10. torocan

torocan Member

Details... details...

11. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Wow!!! It seems almost unreal that his game is so black and white

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Hardens shot chart won't stay like that this season as a starter though. Anyway I find it interesting what Morey is doing. This team isn't about this season. It is about the LT & I really like Moreys approach.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A basketball player who doesn't hit 15 foot jumpers...or doesn't take them - is not a super star.

What do you do when the defense takes away the drive and the 3 point shot? That will happen.

Look, it's easy to get your shot when you come off the bench, you aren't the focus of the opposing team. Harden is now our "superstar". They will focus on him every night. He will get the hole but not as much. And he will not get passes to shoot spot up jumpers from Durant and Westbrook anymore.

He's going to have to create jump shots off the dribble - not his strength. His game will suffer immensely.

Now - that said, it doesn't mean he can't develop a 15 foot J. I am sure he can. But you guys better be patient with this kid because it's not goign to be as smooth as a transition as you think. He's going to struggle until he learns to find a mid-range game.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You know what's amazing - with super stars - the great players that is - they have enough weapons that you simply can't take all of them away.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think you are partially right, but I think part of the reason all of his shots were 3-pointers or in the paint are because the offense always ran through KD or Westbrook. He was constantly getting open looks from 3, and also because of the pace of the offense getting open court layups.

He's also one of the best in the league that I've seen at flying to the basket at 100mph and still being able to maneuver and finish. He's got such a long stride and soft touch that even when they are seemingly taking away the driving lanes, he still finds a way to finish. It's almost pointless to settle for 15 footers when you can find a way to the bucket like he can.

He will have to develop a mid-range game to get to the next level, but if simply does what he's been doing and also creates some for the rest of the offense, he'll be fine. All-star this year might be pushing it though.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's true - if someone is feeding you meatballs everyday - is it your fault for hitting them out of the park?

It will still be an adjustment. I think he's going to have to learn some sort of turnaround shot or mid-range hook to reach super-star potential.

17. NewRoxFan

You said he doesn't create for himself and only dunks and shoots spot-up threes.

Another game highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx09_zUJTkk

18. NewRoxFan

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

deleted

#1859 RV6, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  20. bongman

bongman Member

Can you help me out? I am at a loss at what other weapons these other players had...
    Magic, Bird, Kareem, Shaq, Stockton, Malone, Barkley just to name a few.