1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Brazil Soccer Clubs vs Mexico Soccer Clubs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by David Stern, Oct 30, 2012.

?

I believe....

1. Brazilian clubs are light years better than Mexican clubs

18.8%
  2. Brazilian clubs are slightly better than Mexican clubs

43.8%
  3. Mexican clubs are better than Brazilian clubs

18.8%
  4. Not qualified to answer but I know neymar is better than falcao

18.8%
  1. David Stern

David Stern Member

Ok maybe I'm not the best person to fairly judge (since I am Brazilian) but the other day my GF's bro (very knowledgable about soccer) said to me that the Brazilian soccer league is inferior to the Mexican league. He's not Mexican (Colombian parents but he was born in America) so it's not that he's biased.

My response was that his statement was ludicrous. What you say? Which league is superior?

Also, he claimed falcao from Colombia is currently a better player than neymar. I can forgive this crazy statement since its his boy but the other claim got me chapped.

2. lean

lean Member

don't know too much about soccer, i do know neymar is sick tho, so i voted the last option.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mexican teams pay a lot more than South American teams do. Hell, they pay more than MLS teams do.

With that said Brazilian teams have talent but as soon as that talent is discovered it's plucked away by the Big European teams.

A Mexican team will have skilled veteran players were as a Brazilian club will have not so talented players and young guys about to jump across the pond.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't follow Copa Libertadores, ain't the Mexican teams in there, too? If yes, how are the results vs. Brazilian teams?

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Yes, they have been playing in the Libertadores since 1998.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Falcao is definitely in form right now, we'll see how he does at Chelsea.

I think Neymar in 2-3 years will clearly be the better player.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

falcao is a better overall player right now then neymar. neymar is young and so has a lot of hype but he could be a great one. right now though he's not.

IFFHS did a ranking, http://www.iffhs.de/?b6e20fa3002f70d00ee2d17f7370eff3702bb1c2bb0e

I disagree with the top 5, should be EPL, Spain, Germany, Italy, France. But then after that you have Brasil, Argentina, and Mexican leagues which I think is right.

Btw, MLS is ranked 55th which is way off. I think MLS is top 20-25 league.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Lmao. Ok.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow this ranking is one of the most trashiest I've seen in a long time.

10. David Stern

David Stern Member

Yes. I’m curious about this. I realize Mexican teams have large player payrolls than MLS team due to salary cap restraints & the league’s current business model. But I was surprised to hear they have larger payrolls than teams from Sao Paulo. Does anyone know where I could find some info on this? I would imagine that Corinthians have the largest player payroll in Brasil. I’m not sure which team in Mexico would be considered the top spender.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not directly payroll, but market value:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/liga-mx-apertura/startseite/wettbewerb_MEXA.html

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/campeonato-brasileiro-serie-a/startseite/wettbewerb_BRA1.html

Don't know about the payrolls, but Brazilian teams have much higher market value player-wise.

1 person likes this.
  12. ipaman

Club America is probably top spending club, owned by Televisa. But almost every top team has big time owner.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't watch enough Brazil football to gauge the comparison. I believe that individuals in Brazil will be a lot more talented than individuals in Mexico, but I can tell you that, as a unit, Mexican teams are better. I think that in the latest few Copa Libertadores, Mexican teams haven't gotten past Brazilian teams (last casualty was my América vs. Santos).

In this year's edition of the Libertadores, there are many more Brazilian teams against only two Mexican teams, and only one Mexican team is playing against Brazilian club Corinthians; Cruz Azul tied 0-0 this year against Corinthians in the first leg at Estadio Azul, which would be considered a win for Brazil. Guadalajara didn't play any Brazilians, and they're already out of the next phase.

In these competitions, however, I don't think MEXICAN teams send their A teams and sometimes they get reinforcements from other local teams to strengthen their attack or defense, which is not a justification, but a reason, and I think they would beat a lot of Brazilian teams were it not a North American competition. You have to take into consideration that these extra-curricular leagues and championships make teams use up their players twice, even three times, per week...

I believe the Brazilian league is just above the Mexican league right now if you were to put all teams in MEXICO versus all teams in BRAZIL. :eek:
    Payrolls are listed in that site. You can go click on the team, and then sort by salary.

BRA Neymar 35M euro
    MEX Christian Benitez (ecu) 5M euro
    Compare that with British peeps:
    USA D. Beckham (eng) 46M usd
    ENG W. Rooney 24M usd

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Those 35m and 5m are estimated market values, not salary.

15. ipaman

so you think 55th is a good ranking for MLS :confused: I still think top 20-25.

#15 ipaman, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Falcao is better than Neymar , but Brazil Serie A is better overall than the Mexican league IMO.

It's not that far apart though, when Inter played Chivas in Libertadores Final a few years ago, Chivas probably would have won had Chicharrito not gone to Man U a week before.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

No it's a bad ranking but it's closer to 55 than 25.

18. ipaman

I don't think so.

1 - EPL
    2 - La Liga
    3 - Serie A
    4 - Bundesliga
    5 - Ligue 1
    6 - Liga Sagres
    7 - Eredivisie
    8 - Campeonato Brasileiro
    9 - Liga MX
    10 - Argentina PL
    11 - Russian PL
    12 - Ukrainian PL
    13 - Belgian Pro League
    14 - Denmark SuperLiga
    15 - Turkey Super Lig
    16 - Greek Super League
    17 - Swiss Super League
    18 - Scottish PL (Although Ranges problems hurt this ranking)
    19 - K-League
    20 - J-League
    22 - Polska Liga
    23 - Sweden Allsvenskan
    24 - Norway Tippeligaen

MLS somewhere in the bottom group.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You really think that the Saudi or Mali or Uzbekistan leagues are better than the MLS?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

I look at it like this:

The talent in Asian football leagues is already above MLS level.