1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt = MVP?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rolyat93, Oct 26, 2012.

1. conquistador#11

I'll take it! :grin:

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That was also the year that Manning and his Colts finished the season on a 9-0 win streak after starting 3-4. Nobody else could have come close to making a "storybook season" as that. The only ones I could see in a similar situation for a "gutsy" comeback type season are Eli and his 4th quarters, Peterson and his ACL recovery, or Rodgers after his rocky start.

Harrison got 3 votes, but looking at the other candidates, he wasn't chopped liver.
    Chad Pennington, Miami 4 (I guess this was the year they won AFC:E)
    Michael Turner, Atlanta 4
    Adrian Peterson, Minnesota 3
    James Harrison, Pittsburgh 3
    Philip Rivers, San Diego 2
    Chris Johnson, Tennessee 1
    Kurt Warner, Arizona 1

3. jjswatt

jjswatt Member

Watt will get DPOY... They rarely give mvp to a defensive player if ever

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

I'd love to see him win it. I don't think it'll happen by the end of the season, but he should definitely be in the discussion for it. It's so hard for defensive players to win this award.

5. ubigred

ubigred Member

Totally agree.

My vote and money is on Rodgers .

6. ubigred

ubigred Member

Objectivity at it's finest. Crose and Conquistador you both need a dose of that.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Member

You bitter bro?

1 person likes this.
  8. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

Yeah, he bitter..

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The MVP usually will go to a QB, even if any of the Mannings get a 11-5 record, but keep playing good, especially in the 4th qtr, they would be giving to any of them.

Rodgers is starting to get better, so he could still win it.

The only way I see Watt getting MVP is if he gets the all-time record in sacks, and the texans end with 1# seed in the AFC.

I dont think foster is going to get it, even if he finishes with most rushing TDs and yards, but the voters also go for the highlights, and foster having had a lot of spectacular plays this year.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Tim Jennings might give him some competition for the DPOY

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

If he continues at this pace he is deserving, but history shows that this is an offensively biased award (just like the Heisman). He'd have to have an unprecedented season to be a contender, and I hope he does.

12. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'm not sure how it was a storybook season. :confused:

I'm not sure how finishing behind Pennington & Turner is helping any cause other than that he has no chance. It was a weak field with an all-time great season by an OLB, and the best he could do was get 3 votes, good enough for a 4th place tie.

I'm pretty sure Peyton Manning coming off multiple neck surgeries at 36, switching teams, and having arguably the greatest season of his career will be a "storybook season".

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

As weak a field then as the muddle of would-be contenders now. Peyton and Ryan are in the lead, but behind them, and they shouldn't be that far behind, are the other contenders.

It would have to take Peyton and all those things you said to beat out a Watt that beats the season sack record, tops the AFC, and finishes a top 3 defensive unit.

14. micks96

micks96 Member

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

This is not a weak field at all. Peyton Manning & Rodgers are having MVP seasons. Ryan/Eli/Brady would probably slide in there as well. Watt's best chance is that a strong field of QBs end up with poor records and help cancel each other out, and he finishes with a historic season.

You have homer glasses. You want to believe Watt is going to be MVP because he is the best player on your favorite team that happens to be very good.

A defensive end has never won the NFL MVP. NEVER. Not Reggie White. Not Michael Strahan. Not Bruce Smith.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

how many wins are there teams on pace for?

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They can realistically go 9-0 or 8-1 to finish at 12-4 or 13-3. They have a pretty easy schedule after brutal start to the season. Plus its Peyton Manning.

18. Commodore

Commodore Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt">JJWatt</a> at the @<a href="https://twitter.com/justinbieber">justinbieber</a> concert. Yep. U saw it here first. I make u look like a giant! <a href="http://t.co/WhlM4pL8" title="http://lockerz.com/s/257597910">lockerz.com/s/257597910</a></p>&mdash; Pattie Mallette (@pattiemallette) <a href="https://twitter.com/pattiemallette/status/263433279607304194" data-datetime="2012-10-31T00:09:34+00:00">October 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Good seeing you tonight @<a href="https://twitter.com/justinbieber">justinbieber</a>. Thanks again for what you've done to help the Berry Children. <a href="http://t.co/XmKq2rO7" title="http://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/263450364588732416/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/XmKq2rO7</a></p>&mdash; JJ Watt (@JJWatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/263450364588732416" data-datetime="2012-10-31T01:20:36+00:00">October 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Classic

Classic Member

The media is making JJ Watt a star. The thing that JJ has going for him this year maybe over say Reggie White/Bruce Smith is that everyone is on notice. NFL gets more coverage today than 20 years ago and Watt is a great story line [background w pizza delivery ect]. Advanced stats are part of the new coverage. The media can shape this thing if they want and if the Texans roll in dominant defensive fashion with JJ tipping passes for a few more pick-6's, he gets 20 or so sacks, and sets all sorts of advanced defensive statistical records (like the tipped pass stat he is on pace to shatter), I can see him winning the award. Texans' D has to lead the way though but the media loves this guy. That's the most important thing JJ has going for him IMO. If JJ can dominate on the national TV games [we have three more], I think he's got a really good shot at MVP-as much as the other big name QB's in this passer friendly era.

Of course the thought of a post-neck surgery Manning going 8-1 from here on out storyline has everyone at ESPN creaming their pants.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

Damn, that cap is clean as hell