1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets have landed James Harden!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2012.

?

The Rockets landed James Harden for K-Mart, Lamb + draft picks. Do you like the move?

1. YES

1,287 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. NO

215 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

THis is literally all that needs to be said in response to those who somehow think we gave up too much. You dream that any one of those picks or lamb turn into half the player Harden already has become.

2. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

[​IMG]

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Rockets use Harden, it's ultra effective!

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Umm let's see. He moved up to get Lamb. He inherited and traded Rafer freakin Alston for Kyle Lowry. Matched an uber cap friendly contract and then flipped it for a guaranteed lottery pick (in all likelihood). I'll just stop here bc most of us know what it took to get this done.

Ya but he hasn't done anything. Riight.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

For a statistical analysis of James Harden's "Superstar" potential. I will look at just some simple shooting statistics relevant to current Superstar SGs their first seasons playing "Superstar" minutes which I will define as about 38 Minutes Per Game.

The 2 current obvious players I'm referring to are Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade.

Current NBA superstar Shooting Guards in first season playing superstar minutes (38+ MPG).

Kobe Bryant
    1996-97 Season Minutes Per Game: 15.5
    1997-98 Season Minutes Per Game: 26.0

1998-1999 Season
    Minutes Per game: 37.9
    FG percentage: 46.5%
    3 Point FG Percentage: 26%
    FT Percentage: 84%
    Points Per Game: 19.9
    Rebounds Per Game: 5.3
    Assists Per Game: 3.8
    Turnovers Per Game: 3.1

Dwyane Wade
    2003-2004 Season Minutes Per Game: 34.9

2004-2005 Season
    Minutes Per game: 38.6
    FG percentage: 47.8%
    3 Point FG Percentage: 29%
    FT Percentage: 76%
    Points Per Game: 24.1
    Rebounds Per Game: 5.2
    Assists Per Game: 6.8
    Turnovers Per Game: 4.1

Also keep in mind both players were playing with Shaq, With Kobe, Shaq was in his absolute, MVP prime. In Miami, Wade was number one option on the team and possessed the ball as much as a PG would.

I am comparing Wade's 2nd year to Kobe and Harden's 3rd years because Wade was given minutes and a starting role pretty much right away whereas Bryant and Harden were coming off the bench in their early roles.

James Harden

2009-10 Season Minutes Per Game: 22.9
    2010-11 Season Minutes Per Game: 26.7

2011-2012 Minutes Per game: 31.4
    FG percentage: 49.1%
    3 Point FG Percentage: 39%
    FT Percentage: 84%
    Points Per Game: 16.8
    Rebounds Per Game: 4.1
    Assists Per Game: 3.7
    Turnovers Per Game: 2.2

Given Harden's new role on a team where he will be the number 1 scoring option, I would say it is definitely possible that his numbers could rival that of Wade's 2nd year, but without the terrible 4.1 turnovers per game and the abysmal 3 point shooting percentage.

I will use a simple X.25 multiplier to project Harden's stats, but keep in mind that his stats from his past season was still as a 3rd option on his team.

James Harden Projected 2012-2013 Season Stats extrapolated by X1.25
    Minutes Per Game: 38.7
    Points Per Game: 21.0
    Rebounds Per Game: 5.1
    Assists per Game: 4.6

With becoming the number 1 option, I think it is safe to assume that Harden's shooting percentages will fall a bit. But even 46% would put him near what Kobe did in his first year with "Superstar" minutes.

I'm going to give his Points Per Game a simple 15% increase as a conservative estimate of what going from #3 scoring option to #1 scoring option could do to his increase in FG attempts. With that, this is what I am going to say is a good, conservative estimate of what we can expect Harden's numbers to look like this season.

James Harden Projected 2012-2013 Season Stats
    Extrapolated by X1.25 and PPG Extrapolated by additional X1.15

Minutes Per Game: 38.7
    Points Per Game: 24.1
    Rebounds Per Game: 5.1
    Assists per Game: 4.6

All Star, folks.

#1285 moestavern19, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Let's look at it this way. Hardin will be making (a little more than) Kevin Martin money while having a much bigger impact on the game. He's more versitile offensively & is better defensively.

Lamb is unproven & so far has been struggling defensively.

Toronto will be better than most people expect.

The Dallas pick wasn't guaranteed next years draft.

Not to mention the most important factor of this trade .... *PERCEPTION* .... Rockets received which many around the league perceive as a star player, thus improving the chances of players (current & future) wanting to play for Houston.

7. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I think he means hasn't done anything in regards to landing a star. Those moves that you described were all small time moves to build on what we had with Yao and Tracy. Fact of the matter is, Morey finally hit a homerun by landing a young star. Nevermind the fact basketball reasons, or Carmelo or Dwight never happened even though he tried his damned best to get a superstar before. Morey has finally done it and sped up the rebuilding process without tanking. I'm sure Les is happy and Morey is happy with this move.

9. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I really like this move. I also think this takes a lot of pressure off of Lin. Harden can play with the ball in his hands so Lin won't have to create everything (less turnovers).

10. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm sure this has been covered in this thread already, but I don't feel like reading 50+ pages.

The Rockets still hold their own 2013 1st and 2nd round draft picks correct?

11. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Wait? Wait for what? Presti to call another trade partner? Long post, no bearing. lol. Moreu, reduced it to EXCLUDE chandler bang and our 1st pick. Don't u get it. (I'm just basing on the article above :))

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

To all of you guys saying we gave up too much, think about it this way.

The Raptors pick in all likelihood will be around the 12th pick? While the Dallas pick is top 20 protected for the next few years.

The 2013 draft is top heavy with like 2-3 superstar caliber players. No matter how many picks you have, teams will not give up a chance to draft those players. Outside of those 3 players the rest of the draft is not that great.

James Harden is only 23 years old and is the 3rd best SG in the league. He's not even close to reaching his prime yet. You don't get those players for nothing.

Martin was gone at the end of the year, and Lamb may or may not develop.

Harden is a top 25 player in the league at only 23 years. Does he deserve the max? Maybe not, but so don't alot of other players. Remember, we have enough cap space to sign another star caliber player AKA Josh Smith. We can also trade a package or Morris, Patterson/Motie/Tjones for a star post player.

Morey isn't done dealing yet, but this gives him a start. It shows him what he has to do now to get from this point to championship point. The Big 3 era is going to be done in 2-3 years, and that's when Rockets will be ready to bounce back. There is going to be no more Big 3 with this new CBA. As long as Harden develops into a top 15 player down the line this was a great trade.

13. torocan

torocan Member

I think you misunderstand the details of the Trade.

The Dallas pick is top 20 protected.
    The Raptors pick is protected outside of 4-14. If the Raptors are mediocre, it gets pushed back another year.
    The NO pick is 2nd round.

They aren't getting a top 4 pick, and odds are they may not even get a 4-14 pick depending on the Raptors' performance.

The odds of landing a "Superstar" talent are MUCH lower than you realize.

14. dje243

dje243 Member

I agree with a lot of posters' opinion that this might have the biggest impact on the perception of the Houston Rockets around the league. If Lin plays anything close to the way he did last year and Asik continues to dominate the boards, we'll be seen as a YOUNG up and coming team that people are going to have to take seriously. I believe we really are just ONE piece from contention. We're one All-star caliber 4 from contention, and I do believe we have all the pieces we would need to get one. Patterson, jones, Dmo, Royce, Morris, future picks, cash, capspace... I think we have a legitimate shot at Josh Smith, especially if he whines and wants out. I say we take Patterson, Royce, Morris, a future pick, and filler... then go out shopping.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

I'd rank this team 3-5 in the west. Our team was already good defensively and it just got better.Martin was the weak link in the D...and you bring in a guy with better offense and defense. Lin is improving...Harden will have a break out year and become a top 5 player. I may be in the minority but Harden is almost equal two Durant talent wise..he get's to the line more frequently and is a better play maker then Durant. Parsons has improved..his shot is much better. Asik is an improvement over Dalembert/Camby and Patterson will be replace by Terrence Jones mid season. Our bench is superior to last year it's better defensively and more athletic. Livingston will excel in his backup pg role. Not much of a drop off from Lee to Delfino. Morris has improved, Smith. So everyone from last year got better.

Starters
    PG:Lin
    SG:Harden
    SF:parson
    PF:ppat
    C:Asik

Bench
    PG:Livingston
    SG:Delfino
    SF:Morris
    PF:Jones
    C: Smith

3rd team
    PG:Machado
    SG:Cook/Douglas
    SF:White
    PF:Montiejunas

Alot of people write us off because we're a young team....but I think we're going to surprise alot of people this year. We're definitely making the playoffs!!

16. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Not only Lin. Hardin starting is a game-changer for scouting reports. Opposing teams will focus on him even more opening up better opportunities for Asik, Lin, Parsons, Jones etc.

17. Grigori

Grigori Member

Instant chemistry with Lin right there!

18. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Smh... HardEn*

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we're going to give him the max....****.