1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

If anything, the Rox need a starting-caliber 4 who can slide to the 5 for 16ish minutes per game. Neither Nene nor Pau; those ships have sailed anyway.

Maybe an Al Horford. Not that he'd be available, mind you, not while Atlanta is competitive enough for a good playoff spot. But someone along those lines who could finish the game at the 5, if need be, and Asik wouldn't grouse, and TJones coming off the bench but finishing the game at the 4.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

The Rockets already have a poor man's Al Horford in Patrick Patterson. Starting 4 that can slide over to the 5 for 16 minutes a game. Terrence Jones could also be that guy.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Extremely unlikely to happen with Cho at the helm, but who knows:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8o4o73f

Rockets send: this year's pick, Toronto's pick

Bobcats send: A pick protected top 3 this year, with the protection going down and down until unprotected if not conveyed. Further, the pick is guranteed to be lottery (i.e Toronto protection).

Why does Charlotte do this highly unlikely scenario?

Salary dump. Plus, if they the worst record this year (they probably will) they only have a 25% chance of giving it to us.

We do it because we get what will probably be a high pick for little more than expirings and redundant players. While we do take on substantial salary- it would be hard for us to use salary cap anyway given player's perference for big markets and/or other superstars.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Uhh... Hell no. What if the Toronto pick, or the Rockets pick turn out to be BETTER picks than the Bobcats pick.(stranger things have happened.) Way, way, way too risky move for the Rockets.

Cho would be an idiot not to do this deal even if he could(which he cannot. Rockets cannot trade their 2013 pick because of the Terrence Williams trade obligation now to Atlanta)

Charlotte also cannot trade their first round pick because of the Obligation to Chicago from the Tyrus Thomas trade.

A deal to trade up in the draft would have to take place on draft night or a few days prior when draft order is established and they know for sure that they are keeping their pick.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

FYI- If you want to know who has 1st round picks to trade for, here is the list of Debits/Credits owed.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

-Atlanta(X2- One is pick from T-Will trade)
    -Chicago
    -Cleveland
    -Indiana
    -Miami(protected)
    -Milwaukee
    -Minnesota(originally Houston's pick)
    -Orlando
    -Phoenix(X3)
    -San Antonio
    -Utah(X2)
    -Washington

Are the only teams who could send a 2013 1st rounder to Houston in a trade

#305 dobro1229, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. blunto

blunto Member

Who around the league is an emerging player due for a pay raise (perhaps coming off of a rookie scale contract), whose team likely won't be able to afford them?

You don't necessarily have to go after this player directly, but possibly someone else said team would need to move in order to sign emerging player. A la Harden/OKC situation, even if it involves a player of lesser magnitude and/or smaller pay raise.

This is where I can see Livingston's expiring being of value.

7. blunto

blunto Member

Can someone tell me why the best Sam Young could get is a 1 year deal for the min this offseason? I know he kind of fell out of the rotation in MEM last season, but I'm not really sure why.

8. blunto

blunto Member

What would it take to make this happen at the deadline?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8syu7ya

Maynor is an RFA this summer, but OKC might not even be willing to tender a qualifying offer ($3.4MM), let alone match other offers that could come in well over that if he recovers well from injury this season.

OKC's Angle:
    Lose Maynor for nothing, or take a risk on second year player with upside who has been buried behind a bunch of tweener forwards and "never got his chance"?

Houston's Angle
    Get control of a promising young PG headed in to RFA (as Houston likes to do), and potentially solve our backup PG spot for a few years. Good contrast to Lin for certain situations (better defender, not really an iso scorer), clears up a log jam.

Wishful thinking? Does throwing a second rounder square things up?

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

If we can't get anything for Morris, this might be a good deal, although I'm not crazy on what is essentially using our 14th pick on Eric Maynor.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Not so sure. He's bigger than I thought (that's what she said) when I saw him play after we drafted him. Whether he can be that 4/5 we need is up for debate, I guess after the season starts.

When Asik leaves the floor, the defense goes south like a m.f.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

Asik, Jones, Lamb, Motie, TOR 1st for JJ Watt and Alan Ball.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he got injured during lockout and had a bad year.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

The problem is NBA teams have really learn how to utilize restricted free agency to their advantage with their young star players.

You saw Indiana use it with Hibbert, Memphis with Gasol, NO with E. Gordon etc.

Now you will see OKC use it with Harden.

The Rockets are going to have alot of trouble getting a player of this magnitude coming off of their rookie contracts. Thats why trades are where this team is mostly focused even though they still were able to find loopholes in the past that allowed them to sign Lin & Asik while having a chance at the team not matching the offer sheet.

The Rockets are setup right now to rebuild much more like the Brooklyn(NJ) Nets did over the past 3 years when they set themselves up with a trade package that some GM would bite on eventually.

If you are looking for a young player due for a pay day that is a future star the few I can see out there are-

-Harden
    -Cousins

Good luck getting either of these guys.

The Rockets are probably better off holding onto their young guys, and continuing the rebuild movement while keeping their options open for a Brooklyn Nets type of rebuild where a GM calls Morey up and say's hey... I want your package(thats what she said)

14. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

I want to see a deal where a Morris package is traded for Gortat of Phoenix.

Morris
    Livingston
    JuJuan
    Brockman
    + future Dallas pick

For

Gortat
    Telfair

The Suns do it for the obvious marketing reasons, and also Marcus might find his lost game and confidence playing with his brother in the Suns run and gun offence.

We do it to get Gortat and an expiring Telfair.

Edit...

Since Telfair has been playing so well, and has earned a spot in the rotation...

I'd take on Solomon Jones or Ike Diogu in his place...heck I'd take on anyone to get Gortat for Morris.

Morris
    Patterson
    Livingston
    + Future Dallas pick

For

Gortat

( straight up or add in Solomon Jones or Diogu.)

#314 IzakDavid13, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  15. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

First Trade post:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8nsmcbd

Houston gets: Omri Casspi and 2013 first round pick (top 3 protected) similar protection with the toronto pick

Cleveland gets: Kevin Martin

Houston does this to open up space for Jeremy Lamb and also get a pick to help in the rebuilding process.

Cleveland does this to add some scoring in their lineup and also Kevin Martin can mentor Dion Waiters. Plus. This trade can make the Cavs fight for the 8th spot and potentially kick the Raptors out of the playoff hunt. ( if the raptors can make it to the playoffs)

Thoughts?

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'll be Mr. Anti-trade. No trades. Just play who we have and develop them. Appears we have a TON of young great talent that needs time. 2 - 3 years from now we could be one of the top young teams like OKC.

Why am I posting on here?. . . . . . . . . . . I don't know.

17. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Kevin McHale & the whole coaching staff plus throw in JJ Johnson for Tom Thibodeau :grin:

18. blunto

blunto Member

How does that salary even remotely work? $2MM for $12MM?

19. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Cleveland has the cap space to make this trade work

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the pick doesn't belong in that trade.