1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moronic Bangladeshi man tries to blow up the Fed, but got pwn3d by NYPD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 17, 2012.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This moron from Bangladesh thought he was going to blow up the fed, detonating explosives via his cell phone, but got completely pwn3d by federal authorities and the NYPD. Have fun in prison the rest of your life, loser. Of course he was carrying out his jihadi ambitions from Allah....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/17/justice/new-york-federal-reserve-terror-plot/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

New York (CNN) -- Federal authorities running a sting operation arrested a 21-year-old Bangladeshi man, who came to the U.S. on a student visa and was allegedly planning to blow up the Federal Reserve Bank of New York with what he believed was a 1,000-pound bomb, officials said.

Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis was detained Wednesday after an alleged attempt to detonate the device, which was inert and part of an elaborate investigation by federal authorities and NYPD detectives.

Prosecutors say Nafis was apparently motivated by al Qaeda and traveled to the United States in January under the pretext of attending college in Missouri in order carry out "a terrorist attack on U.S. soil" and to recruit members to form a terrorist cell.

It's not clear whether Nafis maintained al Qaeda ties, but authorities say he apparently claimed that the plot was his own, and that it was his sole motivation for the U.S. trip.

One of the people Nafis apparently contacted was an FBI source to whom he proposed multiple targets, including a high-ranking U.S. official as well as the New York Stock Exchange, authorities said.
    Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, of Bangladesh, allegedly planned a terrorist bombing.
    Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 21, of Bangladesh, allegedly planned a terrorist bombing.

While the details surrounding the suspected plot remain murky, prosecutors say Nafis indicated that he wanted to "destroy America" by going after the nation's financial institutions and ultimately settled on the landmark bank.

The undercover agent, authorities say, also provided 20 bags of 50 pounds each of purported explosives to Nafis, who then stored the material in a warehouse in preparation for the strike.

They say Nafis further divulged a "Plan B" that involved carrying out a suicide attack should police thwart his initial effort.

Packing his van with what he apparently believed were explosives, Nafis then allegedly traveled with the undercover agent to Manhattan's financial district, attached a detonator to the material and recorded a video statement in a nearby hotel.

"We will not stop until we attain victory or martyrdom," he allegedly said, covering his face, donning sunglasses and disguising his voice.

While en route to his target, authorities say, Nafis detailed how his jihadist views were -- at least in part -- formed by watching video sermons by American-born al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed last year by a U.S. drone strike in Yemen.

With his van parked next to the Federal Reserve, Nafis allegedly attempted to detonate the inert device by using his cell phone.

The effort failed, and he was arrested soon after, authorities said.

Much of the sting operation was also captured on video, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

Nafis faces charges of "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction and attempting to provide material support to al Qaeda."

His arrest came as a result of the "culmination of an undercover operation" after he was being monitored by NYPD detectives and the FBI New York Field Office's Joint Terrorism Task Force, the statement said.

The Federal Reserve declined to comment, while Police Commissioner Ray Kelly reminded New Yorkers to remain vigilant against potential threats.

"Al Qaeda operatives and those they have inspired have tried time and again to make New York City their killing field," he said in a prepared statement. "We are up to 15 plots and counting since 9/11, with the Federal Reserve now added to a list of iconic targets that previously included the Brooklyn Bridge, the New York Stock Exchange and Citicorp Center."

He added that "after 11 years without a successful attack, it's understandable if the public becomes complacent."

"But that's a luxury law enforcement can't afford," he said.

Jay Carney, White House press secretary, told CNN that President Barack Obama has been briefed on the threat.

Meanwhile, Nafis made an initial court appearance Wednesday at a federal courthouse in Brooklyn.

His attorney, a public defender, declined to comment.

2. David Stern

David Stern Member

Lol. I bet the Feds can find plenty of other extremist to entrap.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

RON PAUL REVOLUTION

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Funny thing that is that you don't condem the guy, Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, who would have joyfully detonated himself next to the federal reserve with what he believed to be a 1000lbs bomb, but you come out with ridiculous allegations of entrapment against the FBI.

Are you not happy that this attempted terrorist act was thwarted?

Are you not happy that innocent lives were not lost on this psychopaths fantasy of attaining 72 virgins?

You sound like...

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

This idiot was going to blow himself and innocent people up, for no reason...other than his jihad wet dream fantasy, and no one yet in this thread is happy that a potential crisis was averted?

Well done to the Feds, keep up the good work.

#4 IzakDavid13, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

As a New Yorker I say thank you to the NYPD, the FBI and President Obama for keeping us safe!

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

totally true. They should just ignore those people who are seeking out help to commit a terrorist attack.

And Chris Hansen should let 50 year old men butt bang 11 year old boys...stupid entrapment

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm glad NYC wasn't blown up the other day. But, yeah I am concerned about the potential for the FBI to manufacture threats to defuse by leading some poor sucker into a terrorist plot he would not have otherwise engaged in. I don't know if that's the case here, but my suspicion in that regard does sap my enthusiasm a bit.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

From pulling off 9/11 to trying to blow up the Fed with a cellphone and a van full of sandbags. LOL.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would have thought that liberals were supposed to be opposed to this sort of thing.

1 person likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who says they're not?

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'll just post a link to the profile of the second twitter user so people can understand just what kind of person IzakDavid is:

https://twitter.com/monaeltahawy

This woman has zero sympathy for even slightly conservative Muslims. She hates conservative Islamic ideology. Conservative Muslims call her a zionist, an infidel, a spy, everything you can imagine. With any single tweet she posts, you can paint her as anti-anything. Anti men. Anti women. Anti muslim. Anti arab. Anti clothes. Anti censorship. At the same time, when she defaced that Jihad poster in the subway, she was called an antisemite.

I wouldn't know but it must be so satisfying to be called every bad word from every extremist on every side - those who share your passport, your race, your origin, your religion/exreligion, everyone. To be hated by every type of person overzealous with any type of ideology. Truly liberating.

This woman does great things for Arabs, moderate Muslims and women.

For Izak, the idea that everyone is happy that a man didn't blow up the NY Fed must be confirmed via a post saying "fantastic!". Such is his view of people on this board. Who knows why. It makes me suspicious though. Seems like the behavior of someone who doesn't believe blowing a federal building up is bad 100% of the time.

To him, the fact that we are happy nothing was blown up and no one is dead must be confirmed before we move on to the merits of the case. If you question it, you are sympathizing. There is no space between supporting and sympathizing - there is no independence. Either with or against. Maybe it's entrapment? Sympathizer. Maybe we wait for his statements? Sympathizer. Maybe he would never get his hands on those explosives otherwise? Sympathizer.

That is all.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It could very well be that my sarcasm meter is broken, but a few posts above mine:

I know mc mark (and everyone else on here) represents no one but himself, but as a longtime lurker in the D&D he seems to be a faily consistent liberal. Again, I could be mistaking his intent with his post, but if not... it's pretty damn sad.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's a lot of jumping ahead to conclusions that may or may not be there.

We don't know that this is entrapment. I think we have to see the facts first. We do know there was a guy who wanted to blow up the FED, and he was arrested.

If this was entrapment of any sort that's definitely bad, and something I'm against. But we don't know that yet.

So anyone who's glad the guy who wanted to commit a terrorist attack is arrested doesn't mean they're doing something liberals are against.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You'd think the Republicans would be all over the entrapment angle on this. This creates a nice story for the Obama administration that they are on the ball when it comes to protecting the homeland.

Did we knowingly grant a visa to a Jihadist, or did we discover his intentions only after he came here?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I didn't read your babble, but just wanted to post that I think IzakDavid is a good person, whereas your post clearly is only intended to smear a person.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Surprised bigtexxx is happy about this

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

When did this thread become about me?

Why did you choose to try and attack my integrity, again, but stealthily show your support for this wanna be jihadi by attacking the FBI and their actions oh so subtly?
    What are your motives behind the constant personal attacks?
    Keep them coming, I have thick skin and I don't get intimidated easily.
    [​IMG]

And back to the thread topic...
    What are your views on the actions of Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis?

And by the way, I had nothing to say regarding Mona Eltahawy, and said nothing regarding the Attention w**** 'Mona Eltahawy'...you are grasping at straws my Persian Emirati Brother.

#17 IzakDavid13, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pretty sure he's just trying to get under bigtexxx's skin.

19. David Stern

David Stern Member

The funniest part is the reporting of a 1000 pound bomb. Lol. They should have given him a fake 5000 pound bomb. That would really get my attention.

20. David Stern

David Stern Member

What in my statement do you find issue with?