1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sporting News] Tracy McGrady, Baron Davis near a career crossroads

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by burnshroom, Sep 25, 2012.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-09-24/nba-free-agents-tracy-mcgrady-atlanta-hawks-baron-davis-new-york-knicks-jeff-van

NBA Free Agents: Tracy McGrady, Baron Davis near a career crossroads

It was a little more than a year ago that former Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy delivered the quote that will be most closely associated with the career of guard Tracy McGrady. Speaking with New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell at a forum in Boston, Van Gundy said Gladwell’s assertion that in order to be truly great at something required 10,000 hours of practice did not apply to McGrady. “Tracy McGrady was 1,000 hours of practice,” Van Gundy said. “He should be a Hall of Fame player. His talent was other-worldly. He was given a great leg up in the race against other players. He’s as close as I’ve ever seen to someone with a perfect body and a good mind.”

For McGrady, though, this hasn’t been a perfect summer. The same can be said for point guard Baron Davis. The two have a lot in common.

[​IMG]
    NBA free agents Tracy McGrady and Baron Davis are former stars nearing the end of their careers. Each remains without a team for the upcoming season. (AP Photo)

They have both been All-Stars, McGrady seven times and Davis twice.

They are both 33 years old, much younger than the likes of Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd and Steve Nash, all of whom received sizable free-agent deals this offseason. But both McGrady and Davis remain unemployed, with training camp just days away.

That’s not to say we won’t see either in NBA uniforms again. Both players want to be back on the court and feel they have something to offer. McGrady was close to a deal with the Bulls last month, but the deal fell apart. He has worked out for the Knicks and Spurs this month, and was thought to be the favorite for the Knicks’ final roster spot—until, according to the New York Post’s Marc Berman, the Knicks were impressed by what Rasheed Wallace showed in a workout. Davis is recovering from knee surgery, and is not giving up on playing again.

But in the meantime, he will work for the Knicks in an off-court capacity.

With each passing day, then, there is a greater chance that we have seen the last of Davis and McGrady in the NBA, and there is something disheartening about that. In the case of both players, there was undeniable talent, and in the early part of the 2000s, they were two of the most dynamic, exciting young players in the league. Davis broke out at age 24, with 22.9 points and 7.5 assists for the Hornets.

McGrady was clearly destined for stardom as a teenager with the Raptors, and showed his greatness after signing with Orlando, where he averaged 26.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.9 assists at the tender age of 21.

But the fact that the sun is setting on them here in their early 30s, at a time when so many others are still performing at a high level as they near 40, is indicative of two careers that never quite reached their potential.

Injuries are a major factor for both guys. Davis can trace his knee troubles back to 1998, his freshman year in college, when he tore the ACL in his left knee and required surgery. He had another surgery to the left knee in ’03, and again in ’07. And during the playoffs last May, he tore his ACL and MCL in his right knee. Sprinkled throughout his career have been numerous other injuries, including back surgery last year.

The story is much the same for McGrady, who suffered chronic back pain that most likely led to knee trouble. In ’08, he had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee, and the following year, he had microfracture surgery on the knee. He averaged better than 21 points per game for eight straight years, but hasn’t topped double-digits since the surgery.

Throughout their careers, though, both McGrady and Davis were dogged by suggestions that their injuries were directly related to their work ethics—that because they did not put in the 10,000 hours of practice time, their lack of conditioning was sapping their innate talent.

Davis has shrugged off that notion, saying that the persistent pain that resulted from his first knee injury in college has been an impediment to his conditioning. And McGrady, when told about Van Gundy’s criticism, told reporters, “For what Jeff says, being as talented as I was and is, for him to say that I didn’t reach my full potential because of practice habits? If that’s what he saw … I don’t have anything negative to say about that. That’s his personal opinion.”

It is an opinion, though, that is shared by many. Both Davis and McGrady entered the league with Hall of Fame potential, and played up to it for several years. They were stars, and generally likeable guys.

Now, both players are still relatively young but unsigned and already at career crossroads. Maybe it was injury, maybe it was work ethic, maybe it was a combination of the two. But when you think about how good McGrady and Davis could have been, and consider we might not see them on the floor again, it’s hard not to feel a little shortchanged.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I agree mcgrady should be a hall of famer

3. Raven

Raven Member

It's the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Lame.

1 person likes this.
  4. Miracles Boys33

why you say that he was one of the best players in the nba before injuries :confused:

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

They're both done- but like the old days, McGrady is the better player.

Didn't Baron tear some major ligament or something and is out for another whole season?

6. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

he tore the ACL in his left knee and required surgery. He had another surgery to the left knee in ’03, and again in ’07. And during the playoffs last May, he tore his ACL and MCL in his right knee. Sprinkled throughout his career have been numerous other injuries, including back surgery last year

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

it would be interesting if mcgrady and davis played on the same team before they retire

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course Baron Davis is unsigned. Who is going to sign a guy who tore his ACL, MCL and partial tear of his patella tendon and is expected to miss the season? :confused: :rolleyes:

BTW, Davis took a role with Knicks.

9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think he'll get another 1 year contract eventually...although i wouldn't want to have anything to do with him. He is too much of a liability on defense.

10. Orange

Orange Member

Too bad hes been sucking for 3 years now while being 100% healthy.

11. RockSC

RockSC Member

I don't know about TMac's work ethics but I know he's got a lot of problems in dealing with media. Stuff he said on the media really made me think that even though he's been the top talent in NBA for so long, he still talks immature for his age. Like JVG once said, "these young players never get to develop like a regular individual because of the spotlight." I don't feel sorry for these studs because they have made millions of money. But I do feel that they could have done a lot more with the talent they had. Especially Tracy.

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

if hes a free agent in 2k then i'm putting him with the bobcats with MKG lol

13. BleedsRocketRed

The hall is for the all time greats, Tmac isnt an all time great in anything.

14. Miracles Boys33

[​IMG]

then he might as well play here before he retires :)

15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

tracy was a complete ball player but couldnt get over the hump. go ahead n retire. doing good though with his humanitarian work.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dont agree with the viewpoint that this writer is coming from at all.

Baron Davis has a particular skill that NBA teams still want, and need. He's a more than capable skilled backup PG, who can run just about any offense you need him to run. The only reason he's not on an NBA team is because he has a torn MCL that has him out the rest this year.

McGrady is a different story. Despite the decline in athleticism due to his injuries, McGrady has struggle to find a certain skill, or role that teams need immediately.

Previously his role was to have the entire offensive system run through him. Thats not something an NBA team is going to structure around one player that is no longer capable of dominating any team in the league single handed.

If McGrady was a 7 foot center, or a PG then it would be a different story, but since he's a scoring wing, there is just too much surplus right now for a team to look at McGrady as their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option on offense.

This doesn't mean that I dont think he could have a role on the right team, but I do think he did a poor job of never deveping that role in the past few seasons when he has had a chance to do so with teams like the Knicks, Detroit, or Atlanta. However, McGrady isn't the only one to never figure out how to do this.

What Grant Hill was able to do with a second opportunity in Phoenix was one of the very few success stories for former dominant wing players whose athleticism declined and they ended up in no mans land in just a matter of months. For every Grant Hill success story their are 15 Allen Iversons, Marbury's, Penny Hardaway's, etc. Most of them are lucky to get a job on NBATV.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Wouldn't mind trying Tracy out again. I say it every year but really, really. I know the 2 is stacked but, hell, I'd like to entertain the inkling of a chance we might see the old T-Mac back.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You must like new suits.

Cause that's what you'll see McGrady in most of the time on the bench wearing.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Getting paid close to 500k to watch rockets games from the best seat in the house? In a suit??!! Sign me up.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when he was making $25 million doing that? And taking every other day off and then flying off to Chicago?

That was when it was good for McGrady, now the economy sucks. DNPing is not what it use to be.