1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Clipper Keyon Dooling Retires

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Former Clipper Keyon Dooling Retires

By Steve Perrin

Keyon Dooling, who spent the first four seasons of his 12 year NBA career with the Los Angeles Clippers, has decided to retire. Dooling played a key role off the thin Boston Celtics bench in the playoffs last season, but was waived by the Celtics on Thursday and will call it a career.

Dooling began his career as a Clipper as part of one of the great trades in Clipper history. In fact, when we examined great Clipper trades earlier this year, I included it in the list of top five Clipper trades of all time.

June 28, 2000; Corey Maggette, Derek Strong and Keyon Dooling for a protected first round pick -- this amazingly one-sided trade is often overlooked. Orlando was clearing cap space to sign Grant Hill and Tracey McGrady and they gave away Maggette and Dooling because of it. Furthermore, the protections on the pick kept it with the Clippers until 2006, the year they had their best record in L.A., so it ended up being 22nd overall. People have mixed emotions about Maggette, but the bottom line is he is one of the most prolific scorers in Clippers history, and they got him for a pick that became Marcus Williams (the UConn point guard).

Dooling was a member of some very exciting Clippers teams in the early 2000s and at one point seemed to have a very promising future. But as it happens, his rookie season was his best as a Clipper, and among the best of his career. It seems strange to say, but a severe high ankle sprain suffered during his second season may have altered his career trajectory. Perhaps it's just Clipper fan enthusiasm coupled with Clipper fan paranoid fatalism, but Dooling never seemed as athletic after that injury.

In fact, I'll always remember the game during his rookie year when he dunked on Dikembe Mutombo. Dooling was a 20 year rookie playing in his sixth NBA game, Motumbo had already won three Defensive Player of the Year awards and was on his way to his fourth that season; he was the most feared shot blocker in the league. Dooling blew by Roshown McLeod at the top of the circle and flew down the lane where Mutombo awaited him at the rim. Dooling rose up and threw down on Mount Mutombo -- and then broke out the finger wag that the shot-blocking legend had made famous. Dooling deservedly drew a technical foul for his taunt, but it was by far the coolest thing he did in his entire NBA career.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2012/9/21/3370276/former-clipper-keyon-dooling-retires

Video of Dooling dunking on Mutombo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P_qZgRe95o&feature=player_embedded

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

BREAKING NEWS!! he shouldve retired after his rookie season. even that dunk on deke was meh

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

scrub. good riddance.

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

He had a decent run with the Celtics in the postseason...

Should have stuck it out for one more run with Boston.

5. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Good luck Rev, we'll miss you.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've forgotten what he looked like.

7. tolerance

tolerance Member

I don't have any idea about who you are or what you stand for but based on this post I dislike you.

1 person likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have some tolerance!!!

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Clippers suck.

Sorry, the Rockets fan in me just had to say it.

Why is the title of the thread "Former Clipper......"? This isn't a Clipper site. How about just "Keyon Dooling retires." Keep that Clipper propaganda outta here!!!!

10. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

yeah... take that **** to the clippers forum

11. MONON

MONON Member

This is the DISH, where you talk about non-Rockets players & teams. Me thinks ur weggie's toooo tight!

12. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

Could the moderators please close the thread? The discussion is starting to get a bit out of hand.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Keyon, you'll always be remembered.

[​IMG]

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Didn't realize I was old at the tender age of 23 years of age when I think people that post on this site are absurdly immature.

1. Dude retired.
    2. Yes, I am sure you are a Rockets fan...Cool

But what the hell did the guy ever do to you where you can call him a scrub or say **** about him.

He made it to the NBA and you didn't. /thread

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Um, perhaps it wasn't clear, but that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

I look forward to stories about former Clipper Cuttino Mobley in the near future.

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

This is the so called AMAZING dunk..... It was ok, not great really.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0P_qZgRe95o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'd say he's more of a former Celtic legend, than ex-clipper.

[​IMG]

Probably had the best shooting form in the history of the universe.