1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former GOP dealing some objective reality

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Brandyon, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Maybe they think the world is ending soon, so **** it all and let the sinners burn.

EDIT:

#2 Invisible Fan, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great stuff.

Don't buy the bolded part. That possibility has been effectively eliminated.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I don't think it will ever be effectively eliminated. There have been improbable social "awakenings" throughout history similar to one that we so desperately need.

That being said, I believe a full depressions era crisis is necessary if we even hope for the majority to listen. Something that begins a collapse of the institutional life we currently live under. Once that hold is broken, the masses should receptive to new ideas. From there you just need a person, or group to lead a new era. My hope is that once power starts shifting towards younger, and more REASON driven, generations these leaders emerge.

It's just a shame that nothing changes unless it's built on a pile of rubble.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Am I reading this right??? Fallout from that debt ceiling debacle cost 1.3 billion?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The thing is, responsibility for low voter turnout is not accepted or assigned to anyone. Even in the case that only 40% of the population is voting to govern 100% of the population, the status quo will go on.

While the possibility of opposition might increase if there is mass defection from the two parties, it would require largely independent and fair communication with the public to assign appropriate significance to such an event.

More importantly, due to the increasingly polarized nature of the politics, voters of neither party are willing to be the first to defect as they will see it as an opportunity to win the crown. So say for example this mass defection begins with republicans, democrats will stick to their guns because they will be assured of victory within the system, but uncertainty if the system is dissolved.

I think it's important to recognize that the system has barely changed in the past several decades, but the understanding of how to manipulate it has slowly increased and now IMO has every corner covered.

7. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I completely agree with what you're saying. What I was trying to say was that the polarization of the government, obsession with wedge issues, corporate pandering, etc.. These issues will not go away without MASSIVE reform. They type of reform that only comes after a crisis that 2007 may have only alluded to.

While we can pin down when, where, how it will unfold... history would indicate that it is inevitable, and can't be far away.

1 person likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Far to many people in this country aren't involved in the political process. Those people are abrogating their responsibilities as citizens. They don't bother to personally involve themselves with one of the two major political parties, but constantly complain about them. It's no secret why the wealthy have purchased our political system wholesale. The average American has handed it to them on a platter by not caring. A good example is what you see on this message board. Sound and fury, signifying nothing. Ardent political debate by people who don't bother to involve themselves in a political party and change things from the inside out. They argue and complain anonymously, and then walk away from their computers and do nothing. That's how someone like John Kerry gets nominated. That's how someone like Mitt Romney gets nominated. And that's how someone like Rick Perry gets elected governor over and over again, yet I can't find anyone in "real life" who likes him.

Look in a mirror, people. Most of you are the problem.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Interesting post. How active are you in the Democratic Party? What do you do besides vote and possibly donate a bit?

Are there any worthwhile Democrats running in TX that have any chance at all?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just think this is the way people are. You don't become rich and powerful by being nice.

These people are cynical and will do anything to get more no matter what the cost.

They are the worst of the worst. And ultimately it is what leads to destabilization.

One thing is for sure - people who are this power hungry and oblivious to the suffering of others are generally not very happy people.

11. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

I agree. And the problem is that individualism mentality dominates average Joe's psyche that dissociate them from politic. They're too myopic and don't give a hoot about who doing what until it hit home hard to the stomach like unemployment. I've been around and there's just too much WIIFM and lack a sense of unity in our culture. It's a jungle and the door is wide open for rich and powerful to manipulate and milk this country until collapse

1 person likes this.
  12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oops, wrong thread. Delete.

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Perfect description of Republican party today.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

When the day is over,
    the doors are locked on us.
    Money buys the access,
    and we can't pay the cost.
    How can we expect anyone to listen,
    if we are using the same old voice?
    We need new noise.
    -Refused

1 person likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Once I decided I was a Democrat (I was an independent for several years), I was pretty active for a long time, going to precinct meetings and county conventions. After my health went south, I dialed that down. Now we mostly go to special events, fundraisers and the like. My significant other is deeply involved in state government, so I'm pretty in touch there. As an aside, she has to be careful not to put political stickers on the cars. Yes, it's that bad when you get to a certain level, unfortunately.

You and I have both watched the last few decades of Texas politics with dismay, especially since we're old enough to remember when the Democratic Party was dominant and a mixture of moderates, liberals, and conservatives. I know things will change. The demographics insure it, but voter suppression efforts by the GOP continue to be effective, and what has me ticked off here is the general apathy of your average Texan when it comes to voting. Texas isn't as conservative as many believe, in my opinion. Far too many Texans sit at home on election day and b****, when they should get interested, get involved, and vote. It would make a huge difference and speed up the needed changes in Texas government. Instead, some just post on message boards, which is better than nothing, I suppose, but not a hell of a lot.

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Oh, lawls, the smug, sanctimonious crap of "Well, those powerful people are so much morally inferior to me because they're powerful."

That said, Deckard makes a good point. Especially at this time of year, there's a lot of political volunteering or even jobs out there if you want them. Not to mention that just like any job or activity out there, the real power comes from continual sustained activity. Just like it's better to continually exercise than do an ironman workout for a day and then take two weeks off, you can get your biggest influence by doing things very regularly. They may not be exactly ideal ( I just got hired by the Tea Party despite my massive personal disdain for them and will start in a week), but it's still interesting.

17. jocar

jocar Member

"A banana republic is a politically unstable country that economically depends upon the exports of a limited resource (fruits, minerals), and usually features a society composed of stratified social classes, such as a great, impoverished working class and a ruling plutocracy, composed of the élites of business, politics, and the military."

Yup, nail on the head.
    What comes next, revolution?

18. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Let's see...

Nope.

Nope.

Wait, the United States has a social hierarchy? STOP THE PRESSES.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Karl Marx called. He'd like his manifesto back.