1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i blew that thing out this morning. wish i would have been here for that spike premarket cause i would have sold there, but i was out getting coffee lol. let's see how this support at 2.50 holds. man what an ugly reversal.

i'm short yelp now. who knows if this is the top but hopefully i can get a pullback.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

LOL

I lost all my gains over the last 3-4 weeks, how lame :(

now stuck long term..

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

why stuck?

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Is there a reason Cannon (CAJ) has slide into a three (3) year low? Is it a post-tsunami effect or is it Sony-like effect? They've been on the current slide since May.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think its pretty much just cell phone cameras improving.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No one is going to replace their Dslr with a cell phone. It just isn't physically possible due to the way optics work.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well i of course was not talking about ansel adams hanging out on the mountain with an iphone uploading to instagram.

but for a lot of people there is not a discernible difference between a newer phones camera, and a $200 compact camera.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

currently I'm loosing 1.5k on NOK from the last batch I purchased, and I usually do not sell until I get to positive territory...at least that has been my strategy most of the time.. :grin:

I actually really liked what I saw yesterday, Lumia 920 seemed like a really solid device. I just hope it can sell while sitting next to the new iPhone5 and Sammy's devices..

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well i hope it works out for you.

10. BIG-Tnguyen

BIG-Tnguyen Member

what do y'all think about SMBL,MNST and Costco.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

well Nokia fked up by not announcing any damn details.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You're not alone.

I have found that strategy to work most times. Unfortunately I panic and sell too many times and pick another stock that's had steady growth only to watch it drop too. I bet I've lost 6 figures doing that !@#!. If a stock is not heading to 0 and depending on where you bought most will come back over time. Patience will pay off at least to a point of break even very shortly. I almost sold yesterday. I still think the phone will sell well but it might take a quarter number to bring it up to stay. I am worried about Oct's numbers since they've already announced a new phone, I can't imagine the old phones flying off the shelf. I think their only hope is overseas numbers which is their bread and butter now anyway.

13. Cohete Rojo

I've been considering purchases of Whole Foods and Kroger for sometime. So, I have been thinking about purchasing Costco as a Wal-Mart type of hedge. Wal-Mart is the nation-wide largest grocery store so I have wondered if Costco can eat into Wal-Mart's standing as the number one "one-shop-stop".

However, because I am considering Whole Foods (the hipster-nouveaux/yuppie grocer) and Korger (copying the Whole Foods vibrant smelling earth-tone, prepared comfort food model - which I love) I am thinking that Target would be a better buy. Some whinny people tell me not to invest in a business model that relies upscale faux-healthy pseudo-environmentally-friendly products - that the model is unsustainable - and doesn't appeal to most middle-class families. Hogwash I say!

Most middle-class families are perfectly happy with purchasing trucks - expensve gas guzzling mini-tanks - yet they do not work on farms, ranches or haul heavy machinery (even that elusive family boat). If middle-class families are willing to make the sacrifice of higher vehicle costs and higher fuel costs who says they won't pay $0.50 extra for a bag of rice? Besides, echoboomers are marrying later and producing fewer off-spring, and Whole Foods is an experience, not a store.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

they did drop the Lumia 900 to 20 bucks on Amazon, let's hope it gets a small boost for Q4

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-Windows-Phone-Black/dp/B007P5NHJO

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Holding losers until they come back.

Better yet, holding penny stock losers flirting with bankruptcy until they come back.

Some of the worst investment advice I've seen yet.

A few of you guys are in for a rude awakening. Then again, some of the best traders in history go broke a few times first. Maybe we are witnessing the birth of a guru!

16. Cohete Rojo

Word. Holding a losing stock is a losing position. I sold out on shares of Patriot Coal 3-months before they announced bankruptcy. Learned myself a valuable lesson. Also sold shares of Arcelor-Mittal (MT) - they weren't losing but they weren't going anywhere, and instead I bought some shares of Apple!

17. Major

Major Member

No offense, but this is pretty silly. Your goal should be to have your money invested in what you think will go up most *going forward*. It doesn't matter what you've already made or lost on the stock - outside of tax-related purposes, your current gain/loss shouldn't impact the decision to continue to hold a stock at all.

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

It partly does, but at the end of the day I believe Nokia is worth more than 2.64 as of today..

Look IMO Nokia will probably trade around 6-7 bucks next year and 20-30 by 2015...I like day trading, and like I said my own tactic is to not lose money on stocks that can come back..

I'm not gonna invest in Penny Stocks and wait until it comes back, that would be pretty dumb...

My strategy is towards stocks that are valuable, again 2.64 Nokia is a bargain.

19. Major

Major Member

That's fair if you think NOK is worth it as a good stock and is your best investment option. But being stuck with it long-term just because you don't want to take a loss is the wrong way to go. Look at this way:

Let's say you bought $3000 of Stock X, and it declined. It's now worth $2000.

If you instead had never made that investment but now had $2000 in cash, would you invest it in Stock X at it's current price? If so, you should hold on to it. If you would instead invest it elsewhere, you should sell and invest your money elsewhere. Your objective should be how to best allocate that $2000 - the fact that it used to be $3000 should not play into the decision at all because that's a "sunk cost".

You can certainly hold onto stocks however long you want just to not take a loss - all I and others are pointing out is that it's not a strategy that is designed to maximize your overall return.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Payrolls showed mediocre job growth. Anybody jumping in with the idea that QE3 is coming next month?